Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I think that if you look few people sleep together in the same hammock but it is not too difficult to put two together under the same tarp. A lot depends on the weather and how much of a cuddler both people are. I think there was a long thread where Cannibal talked about how he does it if you care to search.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hammock camping is really very simple: two trees, a hammock, a tarp and some insulation. Infinitely more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

However, it gets complicated as soon as you introduce variables like, "my girlfriend and I want to sleep in the same hammock." So now you want intimacy, which will come with a hefty comfort penalty. Topquilts and underquilts were developed to make hammocks more versatile in the weather, but it's gonna be complicated to have two-person insulation - Nobody really makes two-person top quilts or underquilts.

ENO cracks me up with their marketing of the DoubleNest as a two-person hammock. Their advertising logo is "Get close to each other, while you get close to nature." The logo should really be "Be miserable together, while you get close to nature."

What's really telling is that there is only one commercially available two-person hammock that has any actual design differences from a one-person hammock: The Clark Vertex. It actually looks pretty comfortable but there are some serious trade-offs.

1) It weighs six pounds.
    2) It costs $600
    3) You need three trees properly spaced.

But the video makes it look like the most intimate thing on the market!

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    We have successfully shared a WBBB, but remaining asleep comfortably was difficult for me. Also, we're small people.
    Honor guide me

Hammock
    DIY W/bugnet, ENO DN
    Tarp
    DIY Hex, Noah 12
    Insulation
    Ummmm....
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    That Clark Vertex is pretty cool. I believe the price and weight are about right. Consider the cost and weight of two Blackbirds and a tarp and your right in the same ball park for both. Hmmm.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My friend and I are trying a diy that will weigh about 2 pound. I plan on trying to put it together before the group hang. Worst case is a very comfy hammock for a slight weight penalty.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    If you just want to be near each other you can find trees that will allow you to have them in parallel or in a "V" with a small angle. The engineering problem gets far more complicated if you want to be able to spoon. If you simply increase the dimensions of a bridge hammock to accommodate 2 people, it lays flatter than a regular hammock but still not very comfortable because it sags in the middle. You both end up getting squashed together at the bottom of the sag. It's not too bad for a short naps but trying to sleep like that for a longer period of time gets really uncomfortable.

The problem is you need something that is relatively flat regardless of where either of your are on it. About the only way I can think of to do that is with a large flat board with holes at the corners to tie to the trees. Not exactly a hammock anymore. At the point I think I realized the most logical solution was... a tent. I know this is heretical in this forum, but there. I said it and I'm not taking it back. Let the inquisition begin. ;-)
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch
    I've spent a few nights in an ENO Double Nest with my girlfriend and I can tell you that its not ideal. We have no problem falling asleep in it for an hour or two in the middle of the afternoon but really sleeping is quite a challenge and I don't typically move much. If you've been hiking/biking all day you're probably not terribly clean or dry so being squished together can be less than romantic.

We got the Clark Vertex this year and are really enjoying it. We've only slept in it once but its obvious that this thing is going to be comfy and last. I have set it up a few times though because it isn't the most basic of configurations. I've seen a lot of good photos on here with two hammocks hanging very close together, there are lots of ways to do it.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, DIY's....
    Tarp
    HG, JRB, DIY...
    Insulation
    UGQ Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch ti/amsteel
    I can't imagine trying to sleep with another adult in my DN. My 4 year old daughter and I have slept in it a few times but she just curls up on top of me.
    We can't get comfortable enough just to relax side by side. As someone else said you are pretty much smashed together in the center of the hammock. I'm not sure a larger size would make any difference. I'd say a large bridge hammock would be the only possible solution.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Same as Turtle, my 5 year old has slept with me, my 20 month old is the main occupant at this stage unless my daughter leaves her dog at my house, then it's my daughters dog and the 20 month old.
    and a cat, he waits till everyone else is asleep and then drags his tail across my back to let me know it's time to pick him up or he'll land on the baby. I pick him up because he WILL land on the baby.
    In keeping with verbage of earlier, I am the hotdog in the bun around this house. Everyone else is just toppings. I have had both grandkids, three dogs and the cat in the hammock with me and it was comfortable. Thunderstorm brought an extra little dog and jealousy brought my 50 pounder.
    Tableclothfactory 90x132 crinkle taffeta all the way.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I just love it when this discussion pops up.

A interesting fact is I have not noticed anyone, posting the aftermath of a night on top of each other. When the subject of two adult size people sleeping in harmony in a hammock that is suspended I always ask for a trip report. Yet I never seem to find one.

If you give it a try you will know if you two can make it work for you.

A couple of suggestions: Make sure both of you sincerely want to try this exercise. If one of you is more excited about the idea, be sure the other party has a graceful way to say "Get me out of this". Have alternative sleeping arrangements that you will graciously offer. Try a test run someplace where a change of plans will not be a problem.

One fellow wanted to sleep double with his new significant other, who was not into anything other than the local **** Star hotel, he had a four day backpacking trip all planned. I really wanted a trip report on that expedition.

Anyway, I hate to be a spoil sport, just have tried to take a long afternoon nap with my 105 pound dog, nice for about 30 minutes, then my arm was cramped, then my legs, my back complained, at that point the cuddle was over. Wow, there is the fact that people stick together when the are squished together.

Do carry on with your experimentation, just send up progress reports, you may be the first to figure out a way to a successful over night snuggle session in a hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast