Tarp
    DD 3 X 3 4 X 4
    Insulation
    58 pattern army
    Suspension
    whoppee slings

Quick Tarp tensioning Prusik

Hi all
    Not sure if this has been used or talked about on here, so aplos in advance,
    Just practicing putting my set up, up in the yard and thought how can I make the end loop on my tarp ridge line an easier and quicker way, because I used to loop my prusik knot on the ridge line then tie it to my tarp loop, and then pull to tension. Well I came up with this idea, (again I've not seen it done but I am just starting out so it may be well known)
    I've made a loop connected together via a two holed buckle, that I can use to tie a Prusik knot

Using a smaller diameter line, I found that it holds faster, then use your looped prusik to tie the knot on the ridge line, then huck the tarp bungie loop over the buckle, I use short looped lengths of bungie tied using a larkshead to each of the tarp loops to allow tension in the wind

Anyway, this seemed to work ok, not field trailed it yet and am open to criticism and any other better ideas.
    Thanks for looking
    Kind Regards
    Bill
    Share your knowledge, it is a way to achieve immortality.

Hammock
    TTTM Double, WBBB XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, DD3X3
    Insulation
    UKhammocks TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Treehuggers
    Looks kinda ok, but what about just tying of the prusik and attaching the tarp with a more secure biner... If you need to adjust you can always move the prusik around.
    That way you don't run the risk if a gust of wind slackens tension on the side where this setup is that your connection will come undone. I must say that is wat concerns me most in this setup, the conncection slipping loose with a sudden slackening of tension.

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    I'm not sure I'm getting this. My Tarp ridge line, lime green paracord, has two prussiks on it for the ends of the tarp. The line stays on the tarp and is above the tarp when I set it up (before the hammock). Seems simple enough and effective. Can't see any advantage to anything else.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    That cord lock might be too small. You'll have to test it in some wind to see if it will hold. Most of the time I've seen the prussik as a loop ran through the loop of the tarp tie-out then secured with a toggle that was 3 inches or so.
    BTW, I put shock cord loops on all of my tarp guyline tie-outs to try the last time out. I wasn't impressed. I can get a more taught pitch without the shock cord tensioners. I could really crank them down, put then the stretch was gone, so no point. Might need heavier shock cord then 1/8 to work properly. Anyway, I'm going to remove them before I head out again. Others seem to like them, though.
    Bill

Images
    Interesting approach. Kind of depends on if you are rocking a syl tarp or cuben. I've always liked a CRL so the ridge attachment has always been the same for me. However, with regard to the tieouts, for my current cuben I use a prusik at the D-ring and run my line from that. Tight pitch and adjustment at the tarp not at the stake. Easier for me to do from inside should the need arise while still under the tarp and less bending over. I have lazy old fart disease.

Now on my Syl tarps I used a prusik at the end of the lines and then had shock cord tensioners at the corners. Probably not the best use of a prusik admittedly, but the tensioners are useful for certain. They kept the pitch taught when the syl starts to sag from moisture and when the wind loads increased they kept me from tearing up my tarp because I cranked it down and there would be no relief or buffer for the tension.

Lots of ways of skinning the cat. It's just what works for you and what you like. Welcome to the addiction. Keep innovating. Gotta love the fiddle factor.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    I rig my tie outs similarly to DaddDaddy above. It works well and keeps things simple.

For the OP - have you tried a small 'biner in place of the cord lock? I used them for a while--and it works well--but I have since moved to soft-shackle Prusiks.

You could also eliminate the cord lock by making your Prusik cord(s) a continuous loop; Larks Head a small stick for a toggle then loop your shock cord over the toggle. Shug would probably advocate placing the shock cord on the Larks Head and not on the toggle.

Hammock
    ENO DN, DD Modular
    Tarp
    Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Econ, PLUQ
    Suspension
    mule tape,whoopies
    You could also just push the loop of your prussick through the tie out on your tarp and insert a toggle through the prussick loop. It would shorten up the whole configuration by eliminating the line on the tarp. Same concept as using carabiner, i just sometimes like using toggles. I've also used this method to pull my eno bug guardian tight with the prussick on my suspension line.

And if you really like the idea of using bungee in the setup, just make your prussick out of bungee.
    Last edited by maddox; 06-04-2014 at 08:10.

Hammock
    DD Travel
    Tarp
    DD 3 X 3 4 X 4
    Insulation
    58 pattern army
    Suspension
    whoppee slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblockman View Post
    Looks kinda ok, but what about just tying of the prusik and attaching the tarp with a more secure biner... If you need to adjust you can always move the prusik around.
    That way you don't run the risk if a gust of wind slackens tension on the side where this setup is that your connection will come undone. I must say that is wat concerns me most in this setup, the conncection slipping loose with a sudden slackening of tension.
    True! very true, as I said i am very new to this so thanks for that reply, it does sound more secure to be fair thanks you!

"For the OP - have you tried a small 'biner in place of the cord lock? I used them for a while--and it works well--but I have since moved to soft-shackle Prusiks."
    What is OP please? great idea about using soft shackles instead of biners, as I like to keep the wieght down if I can, and I have been making these and whoppee slings after getting the bug and watching YTube vids on how to make them, I will use this methord instead now, thank you!

Kind Regards
    Bill
    Share your knowledge, it is a way to achieve immortality.

I also utilize a prusik knot to tighten my ridegeline. Having a climbing background, I prefer prusik's to mechanical tensioning devices. They work the best if the secondary rope is slightly smaller than the primary line. They are not effective with slippery rope or ropes that have no stretch. One interesting fact that this thread brings out is that any knot that spreads out it tension over several wraps (like a prusik) is much stronger than a tight knot which compresses the rope in a very tight bend. A tight knot reduces the strength of the rope by 50 percent.

Excellent work Billrobo. Thank you for sharing.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC & Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly & Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    + 1 For CRL + prusik + toggles.

Im sure that setup would work just fine, I just wouldn't trust it personally. Seen weirder things happen, especially in wind. Probably be fine as long as tension was constantly applied, but if the breeze blows a certain way (gets under your tarp for example), might be just enough to unhook your buckle, especially since its on your prusik loop, and not your tarp loop.
    "Cogito; ergo sum."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast