Hammock
    Grand Trunks Double
    Tarp
    Grand Trunks Funky
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Biners/ENO Atlas
    There are a lot of good tarps out there, but for reasons you'll see below I like square patterns with lots of tie-outs because they are so versatile. I have the Grand Trunk All Purpose Rainfly at 10' square. Rather than retype here is a post from me in another thread.

++++++++++

Sounds like you are all set, but in case other folks come in here to learn about beginner tarps, I thought I'd chime in. I got the Grand Trunk All Purpose Rainfly (APR, erroneously sold on Amazon as the Funky Forest Tarp). Here's why.

1. I like hanging out under my tarp when I'm not sleeping if it's rainy or super sunny. For this reason I shied away from the uber-light tiny tarps that will keep you dry in your hammock but are good for nothing else.

2. I like the square pattern because you can pitch it so many different ways. Diagonal for longest ridgeline, square for nice wide porch mode on both sides, square closer to the ground on one side to shield wind, from the extra edge tie-outs so you can pull the corners in for some doors (may be partial depending on size. It's a great all-purpose shape.

I heard good things about the Kelty Noah 9' and 12' but the Grand Trunk APR was 10' square and I just thought that was the right size for me. A 9' is a good size, certainly big enough for most uses, the diamond ridgeline would be 121.7'. The 12' just seemed too big to me, it has a ridgeline of 17' . Probably great for a true, 4-season choice. The 10' Gt APR has a ridgeline of about 14' (14.1 to be exact) and in true 3-little bears fashion, I chose that one. I'm sure someone makes an 11' square tarp, I just did not find it (15.5' ridgeline on the diamond pitch).

The Noah 9', GT APR, and Noah 12' at Amazon will run you $60, $67, and $70, shipped. Construction on the GT is great, and it is polyester, so it won't stretch. I'm not pushing the GT APR by any means, but it is very solidly made, and I consider it almost identical to the Noahs so it just fills out the too hot, too, cold, just right length choices. I'd recommend all three of these as good tarps to learn on and be creative with your pitches.

Here are some excellent square tarp pitches for the ground (could be useful if you have a midday downpour that should clear and you are not ready to pitch camp). Great article on why this is such a great design. I think a well-rounded backpacker should know how to use his gear on the ground anyway. Well worth the read.

http://sectionhiker.com/square-tarp-pitches/

8'x8' Jacks R Better square tarp in diamond over hammock from Jeff's Page. Certainly big enough to keep you dry in your hammock plus a little, but I'd want just a tad more.

Attachment 101879

The Kelty Noah 9' in diamond also from Jeff's pages. Probably plenty big but I wanted a little more.

Attachment 101880

This one is from Terra Rosa Gear (don't know them) but it shows a 10' square tarp pitched on the inner tie-outs on one side showing how you can rig a door, other side is in porch mode.

Attachment 101881

The Kelty Noah 12' in full winter mode

Attachment 101882

I would say this is a tarp type recommendation, not a tarp brand recommendation. I think the GT and Kelty are pretty equivalent on construction quality. I just think a 9-12' square setup with additional tie-outs along the edges and in the middle are very versatile "first tarps" for beginners, and you can get one for a bit less money than a more intricate design/material, yet still sell it later when you have your heart set on an "uber tarp".

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    There are a lot of good tarps out there, but for reasons you'll see below I like square patterns with lots of tie-outs because they are so versatile. I have the Grand Trunk All Purpose Rainfly at 10' square. Rather than retype here is a post from me in another thread.

++++++++++

Sounds like you are all set, but in case other folks come in here to learn about beginner tarps, I thought I'd chime in. I got the Grand Trunk All Purpose Rainfly (APR, erroneously sold on Amazon as the Funky Forest Tarp). Here's why.

1. I like hanging out under my tarp when I'm not sleeping if it's rainy or super sunny. For this reason I shied away from the uber-light tiny tarps that will keep you dry in your hammock but are good for nothing else.

2. I like the square pattern because you can pitch it so many different ways. Diagonal for longest ridgeline, square for nice wide porch mode on both sides, square closer to the ground on one side to shield wind, from the extra edge tie-outs so you can pull the corners in for some doors (may be partial depending on size. It's a great all-purpose shape.

I heard good things about the Kelty Noah 9' and 12' but the Grand Trunk APR was 10' square and I just thought that was the right size for me. A 9' is a good size, certainly big enough for most uses, the diamond ridgeline would be 121.7'. The 12' just seemed too big to me, it has a ridgeline of 17' . Probably great for a true, 4-season choice. The 10' Gt APR has a ridgeline of about 14' (14.1 to be exact) and in true 3-little bears fashion, I chose that one. I'm sure someone makes an 11' square tarp, I just did not find it (15.5' ridgeline on the diamond pitch).

The Noah 9', GT APR, and Noah 12' at Amazon will run you $60, $67, and $70, shipped. Construction on the GT is great, and it is polyester, so it won't stretch. I'm not pushing the GT APR by any means, but it is very solidly made, and I consider it almost identical to the Noahs so it just fills out the too hot, too, cold, just right length choices. I'd recommend all three of these as good tarps to learn on and be creative with your pitches.

Here are some excellent square tarp pitches for the ground (could be useful if you have a midday downpour that should clear and you are not ready to pitch camp). Great article on why this is such a great design. I think a well-rounded backpacker should know how to use his gear on the ground anyway. Well worth the read.

http://sectionhiker.com/square-tarp-pitches/

8'x8' Jacks R Better square tarp in diamond over hammock from Jeff's Page. Certainly big enough to keep you dry in your hammock plus a little, but I'd want just a tad more.

Attachment 101879

The Kelty Noah 9' in diamond also from Jeff's pages. Probably plenty big but I wanted a little more.

Attachment 101880

This one is from Terra Rosa Gear (don't know them) but it shows a 10' square tarp pitched on the inner tie-outs on one side showing how you can rig a door, other side is in porch mode.

Attachment 101881

The Kelty Noah 12' in full winter mode

Attachment 101882

I would say this is a tarp type recommendation, not a tarp brand recommendation. I think the GT and Kelty are pretty equivalent on construction quality. I just think a 9-12' square setup with additional tie-outs along the edges and in the middle are very versatile "first tarps" for beginners, and you can get one for a bit less money than a more intricate design/material, yet still sell it later when you have your heart set on an "uber tarp".
    I had my mind set on a Kelty 12'x12', but after playing around with structural ridge line this weekend and reading your post, I think I'll go with the Grand Trunk All Purpose tarp. By shorting the over all length of the hammock by adding the ridge line I think the 12'x12' will just be over kill. 10'x10' square sounds exactly what I want now.

Hammock
    clark tx 270
    Tarp
    hennessy hex 10x12
    Insulation
    E E enigma 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    I'm 6'3" and my skb gives me plenty of room, and i use a older tarp 8x10 and it covers me well, but when it rains my suspension lines get wet. I camped 2 day's ago and used a 10x12 tarp and i think this is the size i will use. Plenty of room to cover the skb, but i like having extra covered area and my dog has plenty of room. My problem is i understand these light weight tarps, i just have a hard time spending that kinda money for a tarp when my tarp works just fine. If i am car camping or hiking i don't worry so much about weight as long as it work's. I bought a tarp at harbor freight and its crap i do use it as a ground tarp for my dog, got one at academy and used it one time , looked at it the following morning and it had a hole. Good luck in your search.
    s

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    My Grand Trunk 10'x10' Funky Forest Tarp came in today...I can't wait for a free minute to go play with it!

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Browse theses while your waiting to get outside with it

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ky-forest-tarp

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/10/p...r-all-weather/

Very versatile tarp, great coverage with many pitching options.

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    Good deal! I saw the video on youtube, but didn't read these posts before making my purchase...I feel like I made the right decision!

Hammock
    Grand Trunks Double
    Tarp
    Grand Trunks Funky
    Insulation
    None yet
    Suspension
    Biners/ENO Atlas
    Just so you know, the Funky Forest Tarp is no longer made. Amazon erroneously labels one that way when it is, in fact, the All Purpose Rainfly (APR). The APR is 10' x 10'. I love mine.

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    Just so you know, the Funky Forest Tarp is no longer made. Amazon erroneously labels one that way when it is, in fact, the All Purpose Rainfly (APR). The APR is 10' x 10'. I love mine.
    Thanks, I noticed that after I commented above...all the better, Funky Forest is kind of a stupid sounding name for a tarp.

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    I had a few minutes to play in the back yard today, so here it is! Tarp 2.jpgTarp.jpg It looks great and I am excited to play around with the configurations this tarp offers.

Oh...and this is my 50th post!

Hammock
    Grand trunk skeeter beeter
    Tarp
    eno dry fly
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    home made straps
    Images
    I use an eno dry fly fits perfect. I have used it in wind and snow and rain. So far so good. Packs up small too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast