DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff

One piece suspensions.

Copied from CRL: Whoopie vs Dutch ware
    Quote Originally Posted by shef View Post
    Not wantin to take this thread too far off topic, but, I have one piece suspensions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    That sounds really cool, but might be best to add a link to your own separate thread on it with photos etc.
    I think someone fairly new to suspension systems might be better off keeping it simple, and minimizing single point failure. BUT I do NOT ever want to discourage innovation and look forward to more details on your system. Hammocks and camping gear in general are full of single points of failure come to think of it, reasons for spare cordage in pack.
    Noted. I just snapped a couple photos, and uploaded them to Photobucket. This is the first HF thread I've initiated, and I'm not even sure if I've done anything different or 'new'; just made it really difficult for me to accidentally leave my tree huggers behind, or lose a toggle.

My suspension is kept in a pocket mesh bag, for when I have to pack them up wet. I 'borrowed' a couple of my wife's hair ties to help keep everything together. Playing cards were already on the table, so I left them for scale.

Here is one side of my suspension.
    The hair tie is also inside the larks head that holds my toggle onto the strap to keep me from dropping and losing it. It's also handy to gather up the 'tail' end of the whoopie, and keep it off the ground when I'm all set up. Let's take this outside....

Here's the strap around one of the wider trees I have in my yard. In this instance, I don't really need a toggle. The sling and strap are already attached.

Here is a smaller tree. Let's say I have a relatively short span and I need to 'choke up' a bit on the strap...

...put in a MSH...

... and loop the fixed eye over the knot.

I don't think I lose any versatility, or create any more failure points. My thinking is the strap/sling joined this way eliminates the need for a knot.

Feedback welcome. Thanks all!

Hammock
    Dutch's prototypes
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    All Dutchware
    Trade the carabiners in for pair Dutch clips and it's even lighter and easier.

http://dutchwaregear.com/dutch-clip.html

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Great way 2 not loose components of suspension system

I like your integrated suspension system. A significant concern for me and may others is loosing small items especially in the leaf litter below. I have used both carabiners and Dutch clips, with D. clips I am extremely careful not to misplaced or drop them. There is no way to "clip" them securely on to anything without putting them in a tiny bag. But they are fun and light weight toys and such. So common sense and training dictates that I must have a backup like a Soft Shackle or carabiners which are far more multipurpose anyway. This is all recreational fun. So my analysis is that by having everything connected together including the bag, this will make setup and pack up in adverse conditions much better. Very few thing are ever a first, don't concern yourself about that. It helps us all when you share. Thanks

PS When I said something about "single point failure" I had misinterpreted your verbal description (previous thread) and thought your hammock suspension also included your tarp suspension and was all tied into one long continuous line. Nothing terribly wrong with that, if possible, but if one link failed it could all fall.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-04-2014 at 20:54. Reason: PS for clarification

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shef View Post
    This is the first HF thread I've initiated, and I'm not even sure if I've done anything different or 'new'; just made it really difficult for me to accidentally leave my tree huggers behind, or lose a toggle.
    I'm not seeing how this reduces the chance of leaving your tree huggers behind.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The fixed eye of the whoopie is spliced to the sewn loop of his tree straps.

If he left his tree huggers, he'd be leaving his entire suspension. I'm thinking perhaps that's the thought process.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Gear check, young G.I.s not what they once where

A person could still leave the entire suspension system behind but brightly colored Amsteel is less likely than dark or camo webbing on a dark tree if you leave before sun up. (for best fishing etc) I do "ground sweep" or "gear check" regularly when camping with groups. Rarely does at least one person not leave something behind, especially if it is hanging on a tree. What really amazes me is how many former G.I.s do it. I feel for their NCOs. On one trip the same former soldier left expensive gear behind twice within a few hour of each incident. This guy's NCO must have felt like his mommy. Sorry I got off topic, but some "trained" folks need everything tied to them at all times. IMO

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    The fixed eye of the whoopie is spliced to the sewn loop of his tree straps.

If he left his tree huggers, he'd be leaving his entire suspension. I'm thinking perhaps that's the thought process.
    That's no different than my Whoopie hook suspension, minus the carabiner, the toggle and the hair scrunchie. If I left my tree huggers, I'd also be leaving my entire suspension behind.

whoopie-hooks-illustration.jpg

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    That's no different than my Whoopie hook suspension, minus the carabiner and the toggle. If I left my tree huggers, I'd also be leaving my entire suspension behind.

whoopie-hooks-illustration.jpg
    Exactly. He did say he didn't think he was reinventing the wheel.

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Dutch clips are a great piece of gear. I leave my clips hooked into a loop of my tree hugger straps. I've never lost them since they have never come undone from the loop. I just got the titanium version and they are smaller so it is even hard for them to become undone from the loop of the strap.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Apeman1470 View Post
    Dutch clips are a great piece of gear.
    I've yet to catch the Titanium Dutch Clip fever. I just feed one loop through the other. But hey, for seven grams apiece I might give them a try!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast