DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff

One piece suspensions.

The only difference between this and the whoopie hook illustration is the elimination of the larks head between the whoopie and the strap.

I've been coveting the TI Dutch clips for a while now. I hope to pick some up in the not too distant future. In the meantime, the biners are serving me well. One benefit of the 'heavier' carabiner is, it makes it easier to 'swing' the hugger around a tree, especially higher up.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That's no different than my Whoopie hook suspension, minus the carabiner, the toggle and the hair scrunchie. If I left my tree huggers, I'd also be leaving my entire suspension behind.

Attachment 87094
    I don't mean to be obtuse here buddy, but that statement is kinda like saying that "the only difference between a convertible and a motorcycle is 2 extra wheels".
    You are being a bit hard on a guy's first HF thread, chill out a bit, please. Like King Solomon said thousands of years ago "there is nothing new under the sun". Adam and his sons used metal, wrote about it, most likely camped in hammocks and did all this a very long time ago.

PS I don't start many threads here because of comments like yours. Either you did not read everything posted or just don't give a ... Emily Post was not consulted. I have never posted videos on YouTube for the very same reason. That site is brutal and uncivilized.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-05-2014 at 06:10. Reason: PS I don't start many threads

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntxkayakr View Post
    ...I have used both carabiners and Dutch clips, with D. clips I am extremely careful not to misplaced or drop them. There is no way to "clip" them securely on to anything without putting them in a tiny bag. But they are fun and light weight toys and such...

Swipe your Dutch clips with nail polish. The brighter the color, the better visibility. Pick up a bottle at the discount store for less than a dollar and never worry about losing your Dutch clips in the leaf litter; although mine have never come off the straps.

Nail polish.jpg

"Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    TTTM Double, WBBB XLC 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, DD3X3
    Insulation
    UKhammocks TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Treehuggers
    I Like the one piece design Shef, a very easy way not to forget or loose a single piece. It's neatly done, If I hadn't attached my whoopies permanent to my hammock I would go this way.

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Swipe your Dutch clips with nail polish. The brighter the color, the better visibility. Pick up a bottle at the discount store for less than a dollar and never worry about losing your Dutch clips in the leaf litter; although mine have never come off the straps.

Nail polish.jpg

I like your idea will need to borrow some obnoxious color from my teenage daughters. ;-) I have used this trick for ground stakes, but not Dutch gear yet. My D.C. only come off straps intentionally to go into zipper pocket on side of pack or dry bag.

Edit: Self, the original poster's idea of putting the entire suspension system in a mesh bag would solve the problem of possibly loosing the Dutch clips. They don't come off easily until the webbing loop gets old and worn a bit. A very light weight mesh bag is the $1 version sold for women to launder their pantyhose in. (I live in a house full of women and learn these things, don't actually wear them, Captain Obvious.)

Here in this region: TX, OK, AR, LA, once I get into the wilderness (not State Parks where they "weedwack" around every tree). Dropping an item beside a tree often means reaching into greenbrier, poison ivy, and then digging it out of a few inches of a fireant's mount only to be happy that a copperhead was not resting in the leaf litter. Did I mention that I had to "bushwack" 50+ yards off trail to avoid noisy hikers or people on the river. Trusty machete skills learned in actual tropical bush that was significantly more challenging than this region. So this is why I like the idea presented in this thread. WOW! BACK ON TOPIC!
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-05-2014 at 07:09. Reason: Added PS about DC in mesh bag

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I have my tree huggers permanently attached to my suspension also. IIRC it was from a suggestion by Borntoroam on one of my earlier versions of a Single Line Suspension. Having either left a set in the woods or misplaced them I thought it was a great idea.

100_0292.jpg 100_0291.jpg

Since I can't forget them anymore they are now camo instead of the bright orange. The second pic is the soft shackle that I use instead of a carabiner.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Sewn in Clip, done it long ago but worth re-mentioning again

I did a search on "Dutch clip"+"sewn in" to see ideas on reducing the loss of these small expensive items, found this link:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lip-suspension

Might add that I personally would probably prefer to just hand stitch so that I can easily remove it if I needed to repurpose the strap for something else on the trail, and also a minimal hand stitch weakens the strap less, but not that much, so is a minor issue.
    And Yes, this "all and one" approach has been done many times before, but this is not a reason not to share your approach to it, and hopefully add few new twists to it. Mesh bag to help it dry, and keep the tree sap and fungus away from hammock in stuff sack of whatever design if suspension is still attached to hammock. All Self's ideas are good regardless of originality. I LIKE IT! please don't stop sharing, because of rude comments from ppl like me.

Sorry I edited a bunch, getting kids to school in the morning can be a challenge, then Mom drug herself out of bed and finally drove them all, go figure. Best head out myself.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 06-05-2014 at 08:52. Reason: edited terrible grammar etc, was interrupted

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Soft Shackle for this suspension, how to make it

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    100_0291.jpg

pic is the soft shackle that I use instead of a carabiner.
    I like your photo of soft shackle used with tree huggers. I think Dutch sells these, but they are fun to make and as has been posted many times here at HF, I-36 is a popular site for instructions and calculator is:
    http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_howto.php

But there are many variations or "improvements" on this also posted at HF

I have found in other applications that Soft Shackles have several other advantages over Carabiners and D.C. (besides weight) but metal will generally outlast Amsteel over several years of heavy use, obviously. For OP's All-in-One design it is definitely a good ultra lite advantage, just not quite as fast or fancy as Dutch bling perhaps. Dang, now that Iggy Azalea song came into my head "I'm so fancy"

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Shef, I like your use of toggles to get the whoopie attachment point closer to the tree when needed.

That said, I have a suspension that is basically straps w/ dutch clips, softshackle, whoopie, softshackle, continuous loop.

The softshackles are there so I can separate the components if I want, which really would only happen during very wet weather when I don't want to soak my hammock stowing all the straps in the same bag as the hammock, or when I want to wash the hammock.

What I really like about all the softshackle is that aside from the dutch clips, there are no rigid components in the sack with my hammock. That way I can squish/compress/pack it down as much as I like. I always keep one hammock in the car and for day hikes, I'll throw one in my shorts cargo pocket.

Having a hammock + suspension that you can carry in your pocket on a walk is a great thing, at least I think it is. Encourages me to take a few minutes out just to relax which to my mind is a good thing any time you can get it.

Now SilvrSurfr isn't a convert to DutchClips yet, but then again, those extra 16 seconds I save during setup and tear down are put to the best use possible, relaxing in the hammock. Been using them on a couple setups for more than a year and knock on wood, haven't lost a pair yet.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Banned
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Hi Vis on Dutch and other hardware, Ti or Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Swipe your Dutch clips with nail polish. The brighter the color, the better visibility.

A far more difficult but permanent way to brighten your Dutch bling, especially aluminum but also Ti is to use anodizing dye or other creative anodizing processes. Admittedly I am lazy and have just sent my electronic bent aluminum prototype enclosures to local shops and complained at them and demanded reruns when they messed it up. But it would be fun if Dutch would make PINK Dutch gear for Breast Cancer Awareness Month or something like that. I personally prefer bright yellow or chartreuse. Also permanent pen markers used in the final "anodizing" hot bath process works well for aluminum, I need to try it on titanium.

Start another Thread if someone is fascinated by this idea, I am NOT! lazy so just contract it out.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Anod...nium/?ALLSTEPS

http://www.caswellplating.com/electr...zing-dyes.html

also some youtube videos by caswell, just focus on the last steps, hope you have a great work shed on your property, other YT videos show how to use much smaller containers. Start another thread if this is of interest to anyone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast