Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Carabiner alternatives thread search?

I am considered starting a new thread discussing pros & cons of and alternatives to the top 3 quick release tree hugger attachment devices: Carabiner, Dutch clip, Soft Shackle. There are a lot of alternatives, some very ill advised and ad hoc. But my concern is that there may already be multiple threads and I just did not find them in a search. A thread back in 2007 with Dutch and others designing improvements to figure 9s was interesting. I was looking for something more recent.

Hammock
    DIY: Arial bridge, WBBB XLC clone
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch stuff
    I tried using soft shackles for a (brief) time, in place of the carabiner. I found that I often needed a 'third hand' when using the shackle for this application, or at least needing to use both hands where I could perform the task with only one when just using an actual biner.

An idea: If Dutch were to engineer a lanyard loop hole in a Dutch clip (placing it in a non-load bearing location so not to compromise the part's strength), someone like me could attach a leash similar to the one I have on my toggles to larks head onto the end of the strap, making it virtually impossible to lose.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Good points, Dutch's possible reasons may be...

Quote Originally Posted by shef View Post
    An idea: If Dutch were to engineer a lanyard loop hole in a Dutch clip (placing it in a non-load bearing location so not to compromise the part's strength), someone like me could attach a leash similar to the one I have on my toggles to larks head onto the end of the strap, making it virtually impossible to lose.
    I agree and am fairly sure he has considered this, his "Dutch Buckle" (not currently available) had such a hole and leash. Perhaps he considers it easier to just sew in the Dutch Clip securely to the strap with thread. You could email him and ask.

I also agree with you on Soft Shackles, this is why they are my 3rd choice, not as difficult to use and more secure than than tying a piece of rope with a slip knot or half hitch, slipper hitch, truckers hitch or whatever you prefer to call your favorite cord to webbing bindings. However, Soft shackles are excellent backups to have, very strong and light weight and versatile, not easy to lose, floats on water.

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex | Std
    Insulation
    Palisade | Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    Swipe your Dutch clips with nail polish. The brighter the color, the better visibility. Pick up a bottle at the discount store for less than a dollar and never worry about losing your Dutch clips in the leaf litter; although mine have never come off the straps.

Attachment 87100

I really like this system... I've been playing around with similar ideas in my mind. I'm just going to have to work out the relative merits of where my suspension disconnects vis a vis moisture/convenience/adjustability.

I really like Pips idea of 'bedazzling' my Dutch bling, so I found this...
    http://www.amazon.com/Glow-Dark-Nail...+polish+orange

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    CW 12' All Season
    Insulation
    HG 10 Econ, SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps+J Bend Knot
    I used a similar setup recently trying out this idea. I tied loops on either end of webbing. One end had the carabiner the other loop had the whoopie sling attached. This worked very well.

I even needed to bring in some slack so I made a MSH in the webbing and attached the carabiner through it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123