Hello fellow DIY addicts.
I recently finished up a concept I've been planning for a while. My LaFuma Warm n Light summer bag is 38.5 ounces in the stuff sack. It's a nice bag and I've been using it as a top quilt for some years now (on the ground in a tent). Figured I could shave some serious weight by putting together a lighter weight quilt. My goal was to cut the weight of my top quilt in half while maintaining the ability to use it for the majority of my backpacking trips.
I hashed out the initial fabric cut dimensions (86" long x 60" wide tapering to 50") with respect to the final dimension I expected after sewing and filling. Happy to say I was spot on.
After adding the Omnitape, ties, and footbox cinch cord my shell weight was 8.8 ounces. I used some generic 30d calendared ripstop...Argon would get me a little lighter. I was shooting for 10oz of down fill but the 'more is better' influence from my 5 year old son got the best of me and I added an even 12oz. Total quilt weighs just over 20 ounces. My karo step boxes are at 12" with only 4" of seams on each side. My goal was to minimize the seams while maximizing the ability to shake the down where I wanted it depending on the conditions. I'm very happy with the fill and the ability to move it where I want it....while staying put after shaking.
Looking forward to testing this on a 3 night backpacking trip on the Superior hiking trail in a couple of weeks.
Thanks for looking!