Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Do I really need the Hex Tarp?

I'm doing a section on the AT in a month with my new HH (Deep Jungle) and as I was talking with another thru hiker earlier this week who also has a HH he suggested that I would probably want the hex tarp for more privacy.

Now, I'm all for more coverage but one of the big reasons I got a HH was that it was an "all in one" ready to go type deal. I love that I can roll it all up in the snakeskins and be done. I don't want to have to put up another line for the tarp. Because I KNOW I will be dead on my feet that week. Seriously. DEAD. I want quick and done.

And while we are on the topic of being ridiculously tired. I'm leaning towards getting whoopie slings instead of the stock suspension. Is this a good way to go or would you keep the stock or something else?

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Asym Fly from HH
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas/Whoopie
    I would pass on the Hex unless you are expecting major storms... I hang with the stock one through a pretty big storm here in Va the other day and it held great. If you want a very quick suspension over the tying method of hennessy just tie each side to make a big loop and connect a carabiner to each end then just attach it to the straps or get a pair of atlas. This is a super simple set up that you can do in the dark no problem.

The plus to this is you can attach the tarp actually at the knots on either side with the little clasps and they will act as a RL for the fly. Although you need to be really precise on the knot tie to get it right. I just use two prussik knots with a mini biner attached to either side that way you can make it tighter.

I am going to get a hex at some point just for the rainer times of the year but the stock tarp definitely works.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I certainly don't understand the privacy concerns - guess I don't have a modest bone in my body. I've got an HH Exped Asym Zip and find the stock tarp to be a joke in anything but straight down rain. Nothing worse than trying to sleep when you're wet.

You also might want to reconsider putting the hammock with the snakeskins and tarp. Yeah, you can roll it all up and go, but your hammock will get soaked if you pack it with a soggy tarp and snakeskins.

Whoopie slings are a no brainer. When I installed them I also put the tarp on a separate Zing-it ridgeline 'cause I do not like the tarp connected to the hammock suspension. Is it a little bit more setup time? Maybe, but if it decreases my chance of getting wet then I'm all for it.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Privacy will likely not be an issues on a section hike this time of year. I did a section just a couple weeks ago running up to the Memorial Day weekend and ran into less than a dozen folks on the trail. I didn't stay in the shelters but that is a separate issue and topic. Rain coverage would be the better reason to get the Hex.

Either way, string it up separately from the hammock. I didn't always use mine when I went. Just depended on what the weather was doing or projected to do. I keep my tarp in the outside area of my pack. The day it was raining when I went to set up camp I strung up the tarp and did everything else needed in the relative dry confines underneath.

Keep it simple with a CRL or some other format you are comfortable and competent with and you'll be good. I understand the weight concerns and being tired at the end of the day. Even with my pack being just under 25 lbs. including water I was a wreak at the end of the day.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Can't you use the hex tarp with the HH prussiks just like the stock tarp? And if so, then you wouldn't want to substitute the line that has the prussiks on it for whoops, right?

I can't imagine using a side zip HH with a stock tarp attached to the suspension - too annoying getting in and out. I'd want to hang the tarp higher for sure, but I think I'd still rather have the hex. Only issue might be getting everything in the skins IF you want to do that despite potential sogginess.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    As others have mentioned, the hex tarp provides way more coverage. It's great for cooking under. Switching to whoopies will make set up way easier. Also, having your tarp on a separate line allows you to put it up first during rain, as well as to store a wet tarp separately from a dry hammock. With a continuous ridge line and some simple light weight hardware, you can have your tarp set up and staked out in well under 5 minutes.

Hammock
    11' Argon gathered end
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a HH Deep Jungle XL and use both the stock tarp and Hex Tarp, depending on weather expectation. The stock tarp does not offer enough coverage from blowing rain, especially if it is coming from the end of the tarp. I prefer to use a separate ridge line for the tarp, so I can pack the hammock separate and dry when the tarp is wet. Also, when setting up in the rain, I set up the taro first, then get my pack under it and set up the hammock out of the rain. This weekend I switched the suspension to 1" polyester straps with Dutch's cinch buckles. That is very simple and quick. I think it is quicker than whoopie slings. I'm going to post how I made the mod later tonight.

The Hex Tarp offers a lot of versatility. I usually guy the side opposite the zipper directly to the ground. On the zipper side, I wrap the guyline once around the grip of my trekking poles where the rope originates at the tarp and then guy them out, adjusting the pole height to allow the clearance I want under the tarp. I then set my pack up under the tarp, leaning against a stick, in such a way that I can sit in my hammock and access the pack.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Do you need a Hex tarp? IME, no. I've been through some good storms using the stock tarp and stayed dry. You just need to make sure the tarp is centered over the hammock, and for the best protection it needs to be as close to the RL of the hammock as possible. Using it attached to the hammock lines makes it a more difficult to get a tight pitch since the tarp sags when you get in the hammock (which there are a couple of remedies for) but the best weather protection is achieved by stringing it seperately, keeping it low and sag free. For the majority of times I use it, the stock tarp attached to the suspension lines has been plenty sufficient (just a bit noisy to have your tarp flapping in the wind). It's easy enough to carry 30' of light line for a CRL to deploy if needed.

The Hex tarp is nice to have if you want more coverage for inclement weather, or just more covered space/privacy. It will give you more room under the tarp to hang out, cook, store things etc. where the stock tarp will pretty much just keep the hammock dry. I have used the Hex tarp on the suspension line prussics, and it works ok. It shines with a seperate CRL as you don't have to have it sitting on the Hammock RL to provide weather protection, allowing you to enter, exit and move around the hammock without rubbing against the tarp.

I imagine you could still attach prussics to a whoopie sling to employ the tarp on the suspension lines, but keep in mind whoopie slings require ~10-12" of bury on each one, increasing the minimum hang distance between trees by ~20-24". May or may not be an issue for you. Also Amsteel is slippery stiff - I'm not sure how well a prussic would "grab" on it or if it would make the whoopie difficult/impossible to use having a prussic wrapped around it. Personally I like the simplicity of the stock lines. You can also go with a garda hitch and rings, or strap and buckle as an easy conversion. I'd reccommend leaving the stock line attached to the hammock and cut/attach to the new suspension after it exits the cover at the end of the hammock to avoid changing the stress points/SRL of the hammock itself.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6 Woodland Camo
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwhite View Post
    I have a HH Deep Jungle XL and use both the stock tarp and Hex Tarp, depending on weather expectation. The stock tarp does not offer enough coverage from blowing rain, especially if it is coming from the end of the tarp. I prefer to use a separate ridge line for the tarp, so I can pack the hammock separate and dry when the tarp is wet. Also, when setting up in the rain, I set up the taro first, then get my pack under it and set up the hammock out of the rain. This weekend I switched the suspension to 1" polyester straps with Dutch's cinch buckles. That is very simple and quick. I think it is quicker than whoopie slings. I'm going to post how I made the mod later tonight.
    Did you get a chance to post this? I am curious about this setup. If not, no worries. Just curious about it. I am still working on my suspension. I was contemplating whoopie strings but then I read this:

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    I imagine you could still attach prussics to a whoopie sling to employ the tarp on the suspension lines, but keep in mind whoopie slings require ~10-12" of bury on each one, increasing the minimum hang distance between trees by ~20-24". May or may not be an issue for you. Also Amsteel is slippery stiff - I'm not sure how well a prussic would "grab" on it or if it would make the whoopie difficult/impossible to use having a prussic wrapped around it. Personally I like the simplicity of the stock lines. You can also go with a garda hitch and rings, or strap and buckle as an easy conversion. I'd reccommend leaving the stock line attached to the hammock and cut/attach to the new suspension after it exits the cover at the end of the hammock to avoid changing the stress points/SRL of the hammock itself.
    I'm actually pretty happy with what I've got and will probably just go with it for now. (Expedition ASYM fly on stock lines but easy to remove and Kelty Noah's 12 with CRL for more extreme conditions.)

OP: I tested with the stock fly this weekend and it worked great in rain but relatively no wind. No news there, I just needed to see it for myself and gain confidence in my ability to set it up right. The only issue I saw is that the ground under me was soaked so there is no protection for pack, shoes, etc... on the ground unless I am missing something.

I bought the Kelty Noah's 12 because it was less expensive and I need it for other purposes than just my HH. I might end up getting the Hex Fly as well at some point but I am comfortable with the small fly for now unless I know it is going to be windy and raining or I need more protected space for gear, to hang out during a storm or whatever. It would be a long day sitting in the hammock with the ASYM fly if it rained for many hours.

You can see my setup here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght-I-think-!-!
    Last edited by bc2020; 06-10-2014 at 12:58. Reason: fixed typos!

My 2 cents. I have a asym tarp and wish I had more coverage

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast