GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend

Hello from Chattanooga, TN

I popped into the "Hello from TN" forum but I'd like to say a bit more here.

I enjoyed camping when I was younger - even some backpacking on the AT - but around my mid-to-late 30s I found the ground to be getting quite uncomfortable on my hips and shoulders. I turned to an air mattress, which was an improvement in some ways, but also a heat sink if you don't top it with a CCF pad. Plus it doesn't stay fully inflated.

Obviously tents provide some good privacy, good rain shelter, and mine has vestibules for muddy boots and so forth. But they do get stuffy, they're way too hot for an afternoon nap in summertime, they're heavier and so forth.

I discovered hammocking kind of by accident. I had some LLBean coupon dollars to use (or lose due to expiry) and didn't see anything else - but I could pick up a Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro for very little after coupons (it would otherwise have been overpriced there). I looked into hammocking and was pretty excited to read that it has rekindled the love of camping and outdoors for many people like me who have found the ground to be too hard.

I have yet to go; I hope I get a chance to remedy that fairly soon. I just bought some suspension straps and buckles from Dutch, to replace the stock cord the SBP comes with. With a basic tarp, Ridge Rest XL and various bags from my camping days, I should be good for summer. When it cools, I might need more insulation underneath. I'd like to keep things inexpensive at least until I know how much I like it. What do you all think of either of these ideas:

A) I have 2 down bags that can zip together - I could make a "cocoon" around the hammock. I forget if there's another term for that. However, they are mummy bags and maybe that won't work so well, particularly if I don't want to cut into the foot part (I don't - not until I'm darn sure I'm not going back to tent camping).

B) What about getting a $15-20 GT Ultralight and suspending it underneath the GT SBP with one of those down bags in it, snugging it up but otherwise not really putting other weight on it?

Well, that's that. Hopefully I'll have a chance to try out my new hammock soon. Much as I want to take the advice of others to not go out without practicing in backyard first, we have way too many widowmakers here! I'll bring a tent for backup if that happens.

Advice welcome on all fronts! Thanks,

cspan

PS, I am kind of excited to be learning all sorts of knots. I never learned many as a kid, and it's really incredible to see what all you can do with cord/rope/webbing. It can be overwhelming at first, but if I just focus on what I need to do for setup. I think my favorites so far are marlinspike hitch and the alpine butterfly loop.

Howdy and welcome to the site
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    eno tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ & ENO TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    Fellow Noogan saying hello and welcome

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome from SC. Have fun playing and finding what works for you.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Incub20
    Suspension
    Web Susp
    Welcome from Alabama! Enjoy finding what works for you.

Hello Cspan. Welcome to a wonderful world of good advice and good company. Not all the stories are true, but they sound good around the campfire and get bigger each time with the telling. Welcome aboard.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome from right up the road a tad! Hope to see you on a trail some day.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Sorry it took me so long but better late than never, so WELCOME from Crossville, Holler at me if you are in the heighborhood.

Hammock
    GT UL; Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    TAR RidgeRest CCF
    Suspension
    Straps+ J-bend
    Thanks everyone.

Where's a good place to find out about "hang outs" - group camping get-togethers, etc? Somewhere on this forum I suspect.

I did get my straps and buckles from Dutch - very nicely and neatly packed. It was easy to swap in the continuous loops on which the buckles were secured.
    It dawned on me well after I placed my order that one major benefit of the Dutch Clip is that you can keep your webbing in the buckle - you don't have to thread it each time. I suppose it's a little easier, too, in that you don't have to thread the webbing through its own loop either. But I really only wanted to dip my toe in hammocking at first, not invest a ton in titanium clips, underquilts, and so forth. I'd like to see how well I like it (and how often I can go) before I go whole hog. Meanwhile I'll rely on lower tech/lower cost solutions.

One thing I already like about the buckles is that they seem well-made and smooth. The carabiners that come with the GT SBP, while quite sturdy, are very sharp on the springed gate or clasp. I could see that shredding webbing over time if you weren't careful (and even if you were). They're heavy too. I'd rather have that weight in webbing (which, now, I do!).

I've done a lot of hiking with Chattanooga Hiking Meetup over the past 18 mos., and seen some amazing parts of TN, as well as Northern GA and AL. I imagine many of these places would be good for hammocking as well. I look forward to finding out!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I popped into the "Hello from TN" forum but I'd like to say a bit more here.

I also have a skeeter beeter pro, and live 15miles south of you in Dalton.

lets be best friends!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast