Hello from Northern Minnesota

I've been waking up in my tent very stiff and sore these last few decades, and things are getting worse rather than better. It was suggested I have a look at the Hammock forum for help on the decision as to whether or not to switch from sleeping on the ground, to hanging from trees. There seems to be a lot to learn here,,,

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Do it! Nothing but the soles of your shoes touch the ground!

Nice handle, mate!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    I've been waking up in my tent very stiff and sore these last few decades, and things are getting worse rather than better. It was suggested I have a look at the Hammock forum for help on the decision as to whether or not to switch from sleeping on the ground, to hanging from trees. There seems to be a lot to learn here,,,
    Welcome Haggis---
    I grew up in Bemidji, but didn't start hanging until many many years later.

There's a lot you can learn, but not so much that you have to learn to start getting a good night's sleep in the woods. The more constraints you have though, the more there is to pick up. For instance, if light pack weight is a key objective then you get into all kinds of tradeoffs and decisions to make. Going Do-It-Yourself, more to master.

But ignoring all that, starting with the basics. You need
    - hammock
    - bug protection
    - insulation
    - weather protection

The easiest thing to do to knock off the first three of these is to get a hammock that has an enclosed bugnet, and can accept (and hold in place) an air mattress or pad that you've got already. I'm partial to bridge hammocks, and without question they are the easiest style to take a pad (with a built-in pad-pocket). Both Jacks R Better and Warbonnet Outdoors sell these, the former is narrower (which has advantages and disadvantages). They'll come with all you need to hook them up to trees.

For weather protection, a tarp. Here you need to pay attention to size and length if you'd gone with the Warbonnet rig, because it is particularly long and wide. Most tarps are 10-11 feet long, for the Warbonnet one you probably want to get to 12'.

Inside the hammock you can use your sleeping bag easily if it opens along the size at least 3/4 of the way down. Open it up and use it as a quilt.

An entertaining place to start with visual instruction is Shug Emery's "Hammock Hanging HowTo for Noobs", the first installation of which is here

Clearly some coin outlay is called for in this approach, but there is a good resale market on the forums that reduces the risk.

good luck and welcome to hanging.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

I have a very good lightweight 10'X12' tarp from Kondos Outdoors, and a couple of sleeping pads, and a couple of sleeping bags. The only thing I don't have is a proper hammock and the knowledge to use it.

I am, I think, semi-familiar with the videos of a hammock user named "Shug", and if it's the same fellow is takes part in the "Frozen Butt Hang", then I'm sure I've seen some of his videos, just not the ones about hammocks.

Thanks for a place to start,,,

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    Welcome to the forum from someone who recently walked those same steps.

Shug's videos are a great resource...just remember that he leans toward the lightweight backpacking style of hammock camping (as do I). If you are car camping the decisions are much different, usually much cheaper, and you have more options....especially for insulation and weather protection.

If you are honest with your objectives you can save yourself tons of cash and be very comfortable.

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Incub20
    Suspension
    Web Susp
    Welcome. +1 for Shug videos. Enjoy learning.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    Welcome to the forums from just north of you! Shug's videos are a great place to start, lots of information and entertaining to boot! I would also recommend the Hennessy line of hammocks for beginners. They come as an all in one package - tarp, hammock and attached bug net. I don't use the stock tarp though, I prefer a bigger one, which it sounds like you already have. One night in a hammock and you'll never go back to a tent, not willingly anyway. Have fun with the learning curve!
    Debi

I've met the fellow who runs the Wintertrekking forum a few times, he is from Thunder Bay too. I've been up there a few times. Lovely place,,,

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I just got back from a trip to Kelly lake in the BWCA, we hammered the walleyes. I use a Warbonnet black bird (WBBB)with JRB top and bottom quilts and I like the combo. My cousin uses a WBBB with a pad and sleeping bag and it works well for him. His girl friend use a short off brand hammock that works well for her, but she's tiny. Good luck with the search for your set up. I recommend using as much of you're ground set up as possible and put your money into the hammock and tarp.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Clark nx 250, WB xlc 1.7dbl,WB rr d
    Tarp
    OMW, vertex
    Insulation
    incubator0,phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopie,atlas,web
    Welcome from Philly.
    When I was a kid the only time we were in the house was to eat and sleep.

• + New Posts