Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

TreeRunner with footbox

Anybody got one of these from Jared at Simply Light Designs? I'm curious as to what the footbox is since this hammock doesn't have a net. And, of course, curious how the lay is.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I have/had one. 12' DL. The footbox is simply an extra triangular piece of cloth sewn on the foot end, to the side where your feet will be, that serves to gather what would normally be floppy material where your top quilt or pad can start to slide out of the hammock near your feet. In the TR, the triangle is hammock material, whereas in the WB, the triangle is net material. You can see a good picture of this on Derek Hanson's site, about a quarter of the way down this page. http://theultimatehang.com/2014/05/w...k-2014-review/ Look for the picture with the bright yellow triangle emphasized.

I asked Jared to replace my footbox with a Knotty Mod because if I'm not careful, when I sat in the hammock (chair style), and I leaned back against the side of the hammock with the footbox in it, it could apply so much pressure to the stitching where the footbox attached to the normal hammock sides, that stitches would pop. I understand this is an issue in all footbox hammocks, though (the netting does zip out of a WB, though, I think).

Anyway, for me, the knotty mod serves the same purpose, and since it uses shock cord, or can be de-tensioned, or turned off, so to speak, allows me to enter/exit from either side, and lean back without fear. Hammocks with footboxes seem to only allow entry/exit from the non-footbox side, since the footbox side is pretty much a wall of material.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    With all that said, I absolutey L-O-V-E my SLD TR, and Jared is awesome to work with!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Thx, that explains it well.

Yes, Jared is great to work with. He installed some pockets on my Streamliner that work very well. However, I'm tiring a bit of the rigid cat cut sidewalls. Its not terrible, just annoying when getting in and out. The DL TreeRunner seems like a great value compared to other makes and I may go back to that style hammock. We'll see, I'm not done with it yet and though it took me a while, I've figured out the sag now.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Yeah, I actually chose the TR specifically because I was worried about the rigid walls on the sides of the Streamliner...ironically, the footbox does the same thing even more dramatically, albeit on only one side. But the knotty mods rock.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    Jared has made several hammocks, top quilts, an underquilt and a couple of hammock chairs for me. Quality is always impeccable and his turn-Around time is unbelievably fast. The last custom order I put in was literally shipped the next morning. This was all totally custom gear, too. He is a working machine.

To the OP, I don't have a footbox in any of my SLD hammocks. The regular Tree Runner or Trail Lair are both excellent hammocks, though.

• + New Posts