Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intoduction

Intoduction

Hi hammockers, I'd like to introduce myself and then ask a couple of questions. I'm in Georgia and live near Atlanta but travel all over the state & southeast for trips. Mostly hiking and bicycle touring with some

I picked up an Eagle's Nest hammock at REI recently. I went with the ENO instead of a HH or other "jungle" hammock for versatility, mainly because I want a lounger in camp and not necessarily a sleeping hammock. I will be adding a Maccat tarp to the mix for sleeping out, though.

I'm still debating about the ENO Slap Straps or converting the hammock to a double-ring system. The stock system works well, though, so I'm going to take it out a few times before I start messing with stuff.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. Happy hanging!
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    welcome to the hanging crowd!!! i too, own the eno, and i looooooooove the slap straps. easy set up!! this coming weekend is ed speer's sehha get together in hot springs, you should try to attend (april13-15th)
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Thanks peanuts, you're close by -- watch out for me lounging at Stone Mountain if you're ever down there.

Do you have the regular Slap Straps or the Pros? I need to order a pair and am trying to decide if the upgraded length and thinner webbing is worth it.

Images
    Welcome.

Some people here have the slap straps and love them. I never used them, but from looking at them don't really care for them. To me their bad point is the fact that you only have so many fixed points of adjustment. But then again this is why some people love them. On the ring system you would have the option to adjust to a tight pitch of any length.

If you use the ring system, tie a slip knot in the webbing left over after the rings. This helps the webbing from slipping.

In the end whatever works for you is the best way of doing things.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenque View Post
    Thanks peanuts, you're close by -- watch out for me lounging at Stone Mountain if you're ever down there.

Do you have the regular Slap Straps or the Pros? I need to order a pair and am trying to decide if the upgraded length and thinner webbing is worth it.
    If you're going to stick with the Slap Straps, I'd definitely go with the Pros. I've got a set of the regular straps and I'm not happy with them at all. They're too short, too heavy, and they don't have enough attachment loops for adjustment.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    But then again this is why some people love them. On the ring system you would have the option to adjust to a tight pitch of any length.

If you use the ring system, tie a slip knot in the webbing left over after the rings. This helps the webbing from slipping.
    I like the ring system better for versatility in pitching. The ENO hammock uses a heavy cord through a hem in the end of the fabric. Could I just untie that cord, insert the rings into the loop, then retie the original cord and use the rings from there?

Seems like the ENO would adapt easily to a ring system but I'm hesitant to mess with the factory system -- I'm pretty good at knots but I don't hang from them very often.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I like the ring system better for versatility in pitching. The ENO hammock uses a heavy cord through a hem in the end of the fabric. Could I just untie that cord, insert the rings into the loop, then retie the original cord and use the rings from there?

Seems like the ENO would adapt easily to a ring system but I'm hesitant to mess with the factory system -- I'm pretty good at knots but I don't hang from them very often.
    Sounds like you could use the factory cord, but I'd tie a standing loop in it and use that to make a larkshead (or similar knot) into the rings. You need some constriction on the rings to prevent slippage.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    my 1st hammock was a ENO. i love the hammock but i took the slap straps back to the store. i don't remember now which type slap straps i had.
    some people like them but personally i like the ring buckles way better.
    you probably have already read the thread on the ring buckles but if not here's a link.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=ring+buckle
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Welcome to the site. I've been wanting to stealth hang on Stone Mountain for awhile now. I will just have to use my headlamp sparingly to avoid attracting attention.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast