Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Arc de fin, Finnish Spider, or another Hammock Stand

I've been thinking of this stand for a long time, and even enlisted my friend Grizz on a little of the math involved (yes, there was math - but it wasn't really needed.) I'm calling it Arc de fin.

4 1-3/8" galvanized fencing top rails, 12 u-bolts, a 2x12 and 2 1-3/8 sleeve connectors later, I have my arc stand, inspired by the Hammaka bow stand. This was the inspiration - as soon as I saw this stand, I knew I had to make one from aluminum. Took me almost a year from thought to fruition, but here it is.

Details: I used 4 10.5' poles for the legs, and cut the center arc pole to 8.5'. 20' footprint, 8' high at its peak, 6' wide legs. I had planned on using 2 aluminum 1/4" plates for the connector bracket, but couldn't find where I left them so I fudged it up with the 2x12. I will correct that as soon as I locate my aluminum. I used a tube roller to bend the tubes, which I purchased at Harbor Freight just for this purpose. For anyone thinking of doing this, buy 1-1/2" aluminum stock for your poles - it's easier to find someone else who will bend it for you if you don't own a pipe bender, and a lot cheaper. Line up your bending first. I called a zillion places looking for someone to bend 1-3/8" pipe, and nobody had the right size mold. I used a 1-1/2" mold to bend mine, and it was fine.

Another little technical note. I tried different suspensions, and all work fine. But I did notice that you need to have the "triangle" in your suspension with this stand to move the center of gravity in closer towards the middle of the stand. If you string a bar, or a tight straight cord between the legs and then attach to that with a straight line from your hammock, the legs pull in towards each other. If you have a triangle suspension, the arc works as it is supposed to and distributes the weight evenly across its length, more or less. That is why there are so many lines hanging from the stand - I was playing with suspensions.

The poles were $8.97 each, the U-Bolts $2.79 each, and the sleeve connectors were $1.97 each so the materials were $75 with tax, roughly. Once the poles were bent and I figured out a bracket for the legs, it took about a half hour to throw it together. I spent a lot of time stress testing it today, and hanging in it with a regular no-net hammock. It does "stretch" a little, but it is solid. I will be sleeping in it tonight.

Last edited by fin; 07-11-2009 at 22:38.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    That's an elegant looking stand, Fin. Great job.

Some of the hammock vendors should steal that idea for their booth displays. It would be a real eye-catcher.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Thanks, AS. Easy to put together and take apart for moving/traveling. The bracket needs to be changed a little, but is is pretty cool. And it feels so good to get something done that I've been thinking about for so long.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Fin, that is soooo cool!

Can you explain the tubing? It looks like electrical EMT but you say it's fence rail. Where do get that?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Fin, that is soooo cool!

Can you explain the tubing? It looks like electrical EMT but you say it's fence rail. Where do get that?

I-3/8" fencing top rail, Home Depot. Back in the building materials, with the other fencing. I was trying to find it online at Home Depot, but I can't seem to find it tonight.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    that's sweet, Finn! A work of hammocking art.

Grizz

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    Holy Hell! That's almost passes as a piece of art. Very nice, Fin.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Thanks. Any reason you used the fence rail instead of emt? Just trying to evaluate my options.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Thanks. Any reason you used the fence rail instead of emt? Just trying to evaluate my options.
    Yes. They were dirt cheap, cheaper than any other option I looked at. That, and I had planned on using the $1.97 connector sleeves more than I did. Turned out I didn't need them at all with the U-Bolts. I'm not sure I would trust anything under 1-3/8" diameter - this flexes a little as it is. I'm not sure if emt would be up to the job, and believe it or not, 1" emt was heavier. Also more expensive. Black electrical conduit was an option, but 3 times as expensive and 5 times heavier. Smaller diameter pipe would also dig in to the dirt more. I'm still researching options for caps on the feet so they don't dig in.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Fin, that is one nice piece of work!!

...but why do I get this craving for a Big Mac?
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast