Hanging hammock from patio roof

Hello...

I have hung a hammock from our patio roof. The roof top and bottom are thin sheet metal. In between is some kind of material - I really don't know what. It's not possible for me to see inside.

Here is a picture of the roof:

patio roof.jpg

The roof is about 3 or 4 inches thick. I think there is some space in between the layers of the inside material. And it's soft stuff - wood, drywall, I really don't know. I tried installing an eye screw into it, and it just pulled right back out.

There are no studs that we could find in this roof. There are several strips of metal that go across the underneath of the roof:

patio roof metal strip.jpg

So, what I have done is insert the eye screws into two of these metal strips. It's the only way I could get the eye hooks to stay:

patio roof eye hook and screws.jpg

I attached an S-hook to the eye screw, attached thick chain to that, attached that to another s-hook, and that S-hook to the hammock.

It feels very sturdy. But I doubt it's as sturdy as it feels; the metal is thin. I drilled in screws to help secure the metal strip, but I really think I need something more to secure the hammock to the roof.

I would really like to be able to hang the hammock from this roof, if possible, so that I can use the hammock in any weather. Do you have any suggestions for what I can do to make this setup sturdier, if you think it's possible?

Thanks! If you have questions, fire away...

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    "Metal strips" - is this like sheet metal? It's roofing, so I assume it's pretty thin.

I'm no engineer but with your information above, I'd stay off that hammock if it's mounted to a sheet metal roof (even if it's a few layers thick). I suppose you could add some surface area near the eye-bolts to spread out the load and prevent them from pulling through, but with the lack of overall support, you may end up pulling down the whole thing, or at least bowing that thin metal roof.

If that's your only option, you may want to look into a DIY stand of some sort - at least for safety sake. You can move it under the patio in bad weather and move it into the yard for good weather. The "Turtle Dog Stand" is easy and an excellent option to look into (lots of info on that here).

edit: in addition to a stand, you could secure a big tarp to the patio's edge, extending the patio coverage. Then you could pretty much leave the hammock stand where it is and not lose any space under the patio; pull the tarp back for good weather, star gazing, etc.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    +1 on safety concern. You might just use the patio to anchor a flange and two uprights (pipe or lumber) so the uprights carry all the load (and hang off the flanges). Good luck & happy hanging.
    Latest inspiration: In the dirt. Ep3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7ieDrNvnU

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Do not use as is.

Patio awnings similar to your Picture are often low density insulation medium (foam) covered with minimal aluminum structure.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

It has been suggested to me to get a longer eye bolt and run it through the top of the roof, and to secure it with a metal plate on the top of the roof.

The roof is sturdier than it looks. I've walked on it and my wife and I have used the hammock on it. But running a long bolt through the entire roof and securing it above will make me feel a lot better about it.

It doesn't hang that high off the ground, and we have a cushioned surface underneath it. If the roof ever indicates that it won't hold the load, we'll stop using it and get a stand or something.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    When doing this, be sure to factor in the cost of replacing or repairing the roof plus the possible cost of back surgery. A hammock stand is a much better idea, as suggested by others above.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Since your mind seems to be already made up, enjoy your hang while it lasts. I'm sure back surgery would be quite pleasant, as the possibility of injury has been mentioned. Being unsure of what you're hanging from is made of should be the first warning sign. An eye bolt pulling through it should be your second. The lack of rafters/studs leads me to believe the roof is NOT designed to support any weight.

Drilling a hole through a roof invites in exactly what a roof is meant to keep out......water, and the resulting damage it will cause. A few extra screws put into thin metal will most likely weaken that metal not make it stronger. Those strips of metal are most likely decorative trim pieces to cover the seams between the panels, definitely not structural. If the panels are insulated foam, as has been suggested, they're simply thin gauge (most likely 25 gauge) metal (aluminum or galvanized) with foam in between. Definitely not structural.

As far as the roof indicating that it won't hold the load, that sign usually involves a rapid descent to ground level! If your plan is to utilize the cushioned surface underneath why not just sleep there, probably where you'll end up anyways.

If you're set on hanging under the patio, build a couple of these http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/p...ck-pipe-stand/ for the two of you, place them as close together as possible, and enjoy a SAFE hang with your wife!

• + New Posts