Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 XL
    Insulation
    LSOH Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Lewis UQ Shell Question

Hey all!

Brand new to the forum but have been lurking for a month now. Just switched to a hammock for sleeping due to an injury. I haven't been able to try it outside yet as I have no bottom insulation (It is a ENO DN and I realized instantly when I tried it with a pad it is not going to be for me)

Does this shell come pre sewn at all (i.e. only one side left open to stuff the baffles and then sew up)?

I was toying with making my own but will be borrowing a sewing machine but I have no thread injector skills whatsoever (see, I'm starting to get the lingo

I have a duvet that was given to me so I was going to canabalize it for the down and just stuff into a shell and the Lewis was the only pre fab one I could find.

I plan on using down to about 20 F but mostly late spring-summer-early fall (May-October). I will buy a good one eventually but for now just want something to try for a season.

I haven't been able to get a response from the website as my other question was if they shipped to Canada (I live in Toronto) and as I found out on this site we Canadians are seriously lacking any venders. Not even sure who to go with when I decide to get a full length down UQ due to the shipping cost issue.

I have a 10F down sleeping bag as a top quilt.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you kindly in advance for your help! I hope one day I can DIY like many of you but until then I need to make due.

Cheers!

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Welcome!

Unfortunately, UQ is 'down' for a while, at least. Long story short, the owner is very ill and he and his family are focusing their energy on [hopeful] recovery.

One option is to post a "Want To Buy" in the WTB section and ask if anyone wants to part with an unfinished Lewis. If I recall, someone found one recently.

All depending on your needs (insulation requirements), you may look into sewing your own Climashield UQ (synthetic insulation). It's an easier project than a down UQ with baffles but the temperature rating doesn't usually go as low as down. Getting into sewing isn't tooooo difficult, if you give yourself some simpler "break-in-projects" and allow a bit of a learning curve (try stuff sacks and even a gathered end hammock). All ya need is a straight stitch. Try it with some extra fabric - lots of tutorials here and on the 'net!
    Last edited by AaronMB; 05-29-2014 at 14:56.

Hammock
    TE Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 XL
    Insulation
    LSOH Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    @AaronMB
    I am terribly sorry to hear that and pray for a speedy recovery. My thoughts are with his family.

I am pretty set on down and would love it if I simply had the extra cash to just buy a good one now but was hoping I could use the down I had gathered from second hand items to just stuff in a shell.

I have planed to start honing my sewing skills but would need something more immediate until I am able to really give it a go myself at a complicated project (plus work has my free time fairly tied up right now)

I took your advice and posted on the WTB forum and hope I can get a few hits in a short time.

Thank you again!

Cheers!

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    I may very well be the one AaronMB referred to in his posting.

See my recent experience (with pictures) in obtaining and finishing a Lewis UQ:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ighlight=Lewis

LOVE IT!
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

Hammock
    GT Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    GT & DIY Sil
    Insulation
    Pad and Underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree hug w/rings
    He needs to pull his site down, or someone close to him needs to.

Hammock
    TE Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 XL
    Insulation
    LSOH Custom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    @BackPackerGuy

Great write up! I'm just waiting for mine to arrive and I'll post some pics when it's all done!

Thanks for the helpful tips

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Great,,,, will be expecting pics of your finished UQ!
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

• + New Posts