DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Minimum Temp for no bottom insulation

Under 75 my back starts to get cool late in the night. Under 70 bottom insulation is a must.

I just bring my under quilt. It only weighs 14oz. If its going to stay 75 or above a fleece blanket under me is enough. But even that doesn't weigh much less than my UQ.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I've needed something under me in Coastal Texas in the middle of July. Expect to need something at 70* and under.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I know the minimum temperature that's comfortable for each person (without an underquilt) is different, but what's a good rule of thumb? I usually don't get cold very easily.

Its 55 F at night up in the North Georgia Mountains and I'm guessing I'll be comfortable with no bottom insulation in my hammock if I wear my light weight wool long johns and use a top quilt. My clark hammock sleeps at least 5 degrees warmer than the outside temp if you close the weather shield. I'm only going for an overnight and I'm trying to cut my load to a minimum so I'd like to leave the underquilt behind as long as its not just a dumb thing to do. I've not used my equipment enough to know the limits.

What advice do you have .. good or bad idea to skip the underquilt at 55 degrees?

I'm confident I won't be miserable without an underquilt. I just don't want to be even a little cold if I don't have to. My 20 degree top quilt will be overkill but its what I have
    Everyone's threshold is different, but I'd be pretty confident that you would be miserable if truly going down to 55. That probably means you're dealing with temps in the mid 60s at bedtime, so I'm also pretty confident that you won't want to be putting on those long johns. Keep in mind that it doesn't make a lot of sense to bring the weight of long johns for summer camping so you can save weight by not bringing the UQ. I do invite you to give it a try just so you can experience the coolness firsthand to know where your threshold is.

Keep in mind that there is always a cooling effect with hammocks (with no under insulation). One of the great joys of being in a hammock is on those sweltering nights that barely get out of the 80s, whereby the cooling effect of the hammock is what makes you comfy on an otherwise miserable night. Now imagine it being 20 degrees cooler out and how that might affect you.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I am a warm sleeper, anything below 70 F and I am chilled without an UQ. However, if it is hot and muggy there is no better way to get a cool refreshing sleep than in a hammy with no bottom insulation. We had a few nights last summer where it stayed about 80 and muggy. I went with no UQ and poured water over me, soaked the hammock and the evaporative cooling was wonderful. Slept great, unlike the folks with me in tents.

55 would definitely require some warmth under me, no question.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I'm a very cold sleeper-------I always bring some bottom insulation---you can always hang it loose if its too hot!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies
    My first two hangs were without an underquilt or pad. I had a down bag under me on a 33 degree night, and I was cold.. The second night it was 57 and I had a fleece under me, and was cold..

I now have an underquilt, and can't wait to sleep in comfort..
    No man is an island. Except the Isle of Man.

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A good pad is the bare minimum. But if you're in a damp area it might not be enough. If your bottom side gets cold/chilled, then you might be in for a restless night

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    OK, thanks everyone. I'll take the underquilt. I'd rather be comfortable than not. Wanting to leave it behind was less about weight than the space it takes up in my pack. BTW, Long Johns don't have to be heavy. My merino wool long john bottoms weigh less than 4 ounces. I bought them from Lands End on sale for 20 bucks. Paired with a polyester long sleeve tee shirt its a warm and lightweight combination. The russel performance tee shirt was less than 10 dollars at walmart.

I am in the same camp with Nodust when it comes to low temperatures at night. Anything under 70 makes me start to worry that I am going to get colder as the night progresses. That worry lasts until daybreak and then I sleep like a log as it warms up. Have found that if I think of a hammock as a light piece of clothing instead of a bed, my brain switches into what I need to wear or carry as an UQ to stay warm all night. Let's go camping!

Tarp
    Ghetto Tarp
    Insulation
    Squirrels
    Cold is no fun. Bring insulation.
    "Acorns were good until bread was found."
    Francis Bacon

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast