DIY Argon 1.6 Woodland Camo
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps

Sleeping pad - how cold can I go?

I tested sleeping in my ENO DN with my sleeping pad the other night and was surprised at how comfortable it was. I'm curious how cold you guys think I could go with it? I also have a HH Expedtion and have the same question regarding that hammock/sleeping pad combo as well although I assume it would be the same.

I didn't have any trouble with it moving around and just used my sleeping bag as a TQ.

It is an REI AirRail pad. It says "R-value equals 4.2" on the site.

I think the edges that fold in a little and the shape helped to keep it in position.

http://www.rei.com/product/845298/re...g-sleeping-pad

I'll be upgrading my sleeping bag and am mainly asking about the pad at the moment.

Thanks!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I've seen that style pad before and wondered how it might work since its a little wider and like you said, it seems to have folds that would work well in a hammock. As long as your shoulders aren't touching, then you should be able to go pretty low with that pad. In terms of how low you can go, everyone is a little different, but I think I would be ok taking it down to 40 or just below. You can try lower if you supplement your feet and arms and head real well.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps
    I was also thinking about making a PLUQ to go with it. I figure that would add another 10-15 degrees???

I will be buying a nice UQ at some point but I want to make sure I have the right hammock setup before I spend that money. At this point my plan is to go to a full Warbonnet setup but it will be a while before I drop the cash to do all that.

I'm hoping the pad/PLUQ combo can take me down to around 30.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I've seen that style pad before and wondered how it might work since its a little wider and like you said, it seems to have folds that would work well in a hammock. As long as your shoulders aren't touching, then you should be able to go pretty low with that pad. In terms of how low you can go, everyone is a little different, but I think I would be ok taking it down to 40 or just below. You can try lower if you supplement your feet and arms and head real well.
    I don't have any experience other than that one night but the pad moving around was not an issue at all. And the side flaps kind of cradle you in. I noticed my arms touching the hammock a couple of times but totally manageable. Especially after I get a few more nights getting used to it.

Hammock
    WBBB's
    Tarp
    UGQ, WB, OES
    Insulation
    UGQ UQs/TQs
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    I used a plain CCF pad and 20* mummy bag for a while and was cold much below 50. Perhaps an air pad would perform a little better?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Depends. An easy way to extend the range is with an actual poncho suspended belowcas a wind block. Add that and another ccf pad and you can get very low.

I use pads exclusively when at subzero temps.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

REI pad looks good, R-value good

I used a different REI pad with about the same R-value rating and The North Face Sleep bag (0*F rating) as a top quilt last winter in temperatures well below freezing. I was very warm. Had to leave the sleep bag unzipped most of the night. I am NOT a big fan of zippers by the way. But I like to try out many different combinations of gear just to be able to say I've tried that.

That does look like a good pad. Depending on where you are camping it can be a good idea to have a pad for a "go to ground" option. If I ever buy another pad it would be one with a built in mylar "radiant heat barrier" of some sort.

So my answer is your pad should be good down to at least 25*F in relatively dry humidity, with a good TQ rated at at least that, but it depends on your metabolism, old people or those in poor health often get cold more easily, or if they do not exercise much, best to eat protein before going to sleep etc. Read hot water bottle thread, empty bladder, all that stuff.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...e-To-Stay-Warm

Hammock
    P43 Cloudwing
    Tarp
    P43 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    P43 Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I used my Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad (66" x 20" x 3.25", R=4.1) with a DIY topquilt (6oz. Climashield Apex) last weekend and had no problems at 40, although I am a warm sleeper and seem to tolerate cold better than average. I used that setup down to about 30 degrees earlier in the year and started getting a bit chilly but it wasn't terrible. Most places say 6oz CA is good to around 35 and that's been my experience as well. If I trade the TQ out for my +20 down bag I'm good down to 25 before I get cold. If it's really nippy, I throw a 60" x 40" Insultex UQ under the setup (pad included) and we're happy again.

My only caveat with the pad is that it does not breathe. I wear wicking base layers and haven't had an issue, although I know others that have. I did have issues with condensation when using blue CCF pads.

It seems that air pads with chambers running head to foot work well in hammocks, I tried a NEO Air and it did not want to bend the way it needed to.
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit."
    -Edward Abbey

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG CubeF w/ doors
    Insulation
    NEO AIR
    Suspension
    Strap Dutch Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by Madsent View Post
    It seems that air pads with chambers running head to foot work well in hammocks, I tried a NEO Air and it did not want to bend the way it needed to.

I have a neo air and had problems getting it to lay right in my BIAS pad pocket (double layer hammock). What sort of problems did you have? How does your new pad overcome this?
    Deflating helped a bit, but it did not seem to want to stay diagonal and made the hammock seem unstable.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've gone down to 22 degrees with just a blue ccf pad and 0* synthetic sleeping bag. Condensation from the pad was just way too high for me - everything was soaked in the morning and needed drying out. I much prefer down TQ/UQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast