Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    So, I'm back from North Georgia. Took my underquilt and my top quilt. I was a little hot in the 55 degree night temps. I probably would have been cold without the underquilt, though. My underquilt plus top quilt plus hammock takes up around half of the space in my pack. That's the main reason i originally asked about it ... to save some space

Litetrek, glad you had a good time.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated Hanger View Post
    Litetrek, glad you had a good time.
    Thanks. We enjoyed camping in the area around Justus Creek, just North of Cooper Gap on the Appalachian Trail.

Here's something funny that happened. I woke up at 2:00 AM to growling very close by. It wasn't loud enough to be a bear but I thought it might be a coyote or wild dog. I was concerned because it was close and it wasn't going away.

After a few minutes of listening I was a little more awake and realized the growling was coming from my stomach ... a result of eating too much for dinner!

That story reminds me of one. After tent camping for many years I realized that movement and noises outside the tent, combined with my imagination, made things sound larger than they really were. There was this happy mouse that kept tripping over the tent stakes one year. The tent was moving and until I put a flash light on the little rascal, I thought it had to be a bear. Well, two years ago, when the noise of some thing pounding the ground right beside my ear woke me up, I could tell (and smell) the bear tearing open the packages of hot chocolate I put in a bag and hung in a tree behind the tent. He was stomping on them and tearing them open within a foot of me and was not really frightened when I yelled at him to move along. Once he finished off all the hot chocolate available, he sort of meandered away. The next time (about 45 minutes later) I smelled him before I saw him. He did not make any noise at all when he came back. This time he got my garbage bag (that had used freeze dried bags in it) and walked around licking it while I yelled at him. He looked at me, then dropped the bag and walked away. I feel lucky to have seen him and did not feel like I was in danger. I am a firm believer in not putting any food of any kind any where near my sleeping area. If he can get the food bag hanging in a tree, then he is welcome to it, because there is nothing you can do to stop him. I do like those guys (black bears). They are cute.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    That story reminds me of one. After tent camping for many years I realized that movement and noises outside the tent, combined with my imagination, made things sound larger than they really were. There was this happy mouse that kept tripping over the tent stakes one year. The tent was moving and until I put a flash light on the little rascal, I thought it had to be a bear. Well, two years ago, when the noise of some thing pounding the ground right beside my ear woke me up, I could tell (and smell) the bear tearing open the packages of hot chocolate I put in a bag and hung in a tree behind the tent. He was stomping on them and tearing them open within a foot of me and was not really frightened when I yelled at him to move along. Once he finished off all the hot chocolate available, he sort of meandered away. The next time (about 45 minutes later) I smelled him before I saw him. He did not make any noise at all when he came back. This time he got my garbage bag (that had used freeze dried bags in it) and walked around licking it while I yelled at him. He looked at me, then dropped the bag and walked away. I feel lucky to have seen him and did not feel like I was in danger. I am a firm believer in not putting any food of any kind any where near my sleeping area. If he can get the food bag hanging in a tree, then he is welcome to it, because there is nothing you can do to stop him. I do like those guys (black bears). They are cute.
    I was visited by a bear in the Cohutta Wilderness last August. He was cute, but he charged me and got within about 5 feet from me for no real reason other than we were cooking dinner and he smelled it A few minutes later a mother with 3 babies sauntered by. She was laid back since we were about 75 feet from her. After that I'd really rather only see them from a distance. I did not sleep well that night.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ + Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinches
    Images
    I find the low 70s to be the coolest I can sleep without insulation. But I have never gotten hot with insulation so I just keep it on like SilvrSurfr.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm a little late to the discussion, but I've found that anything below 70 or so, I need some bottom insulation.

If he can get the food bag hanging in a tree, then he is welcome to it, because there is nothing you can do to stop him. I do like those guys (black bears). They are cute.
    Bear canisters do a wonderful job and are mandatory in some parts of the US because people don't successfully hang their food.

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    I am an exceptionally warm sleeper (ground dwelling, a poncho liner and a set of boxers will take me down to freezing moderately comfortably), and I find that my minimum for no under insulation is about 60* with zero wind and nominal humidity or 75* with moderate winds and higher humidity.

I find that a poncho, slung up as an undercover, with a space blanket crumpled up inside (a semi-Garlington insulator) will take me totally comfortably down to 55* and moderately comfortably down to 50* even with moderate winds and rain. It costs me ~1 oz of insulation over my normal rain gear, so it might be worth looking at.

I've survived at 43* with that particular set-up, but I don't really recommend it. I was cold that night, almost cold enough to prevent sleep. 55* to 60* is what I'd recommend for a normal human being.

Hope it helps!
    FLRider - can you tell us more about your poncho and space blanket? I am new to hammock camping and don't want CBS, but living in Louisiana I don't really think I need too much under me...

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by RedStix View Post
    FLRider - can you tell us more about your poncho and space blanket? I am new to hammock camping and don't want CBS, but living in Louisiana I don't really think I need too much under me...
    I made an UQ with a $5 fleece blanket and shock cord. Just gathered the corners and clove hitched the shock cord on. Use it for my full time sleeping hammock in the 74F AC of my house. I think down to mid to low 60's I would be good.

Will need some testing this fall.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DYI Straps/Woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I made an UQ with a $5 fleece blanket and shock cord. Just gathered the corners and clove hitched the shock cord on. Use it for my full time sleeping hammock in the 74F AC of my house. I think down to mid to low 60's I would be good.

Will need some testing this fall.
    While I'm not you, and when I am in LA, I'm usually in a Holiday Inn Express I'd be concerned about wind when using the fleece outside.. I'm far from a pro on hammocks, but I've found that the constant breeze, even just a little, carries away the heat and it's the wind block that seems important, as well as the loft..

I recently made a PLUQ and to add a little insulation and help block wind, I folded over the poncho liner and sewed a single layer of micro fiber sheet to the inside. Thin and light, and hard to blow through, I figured it'll help.. And it won't retain moisture.. Something on that line might be just the ticket to sealing up the fleece, yet keeping it light and block the wind.

Just kinda thinking out loud. I'm picking up my new sewing machine today and the projects are running around in my head!!

Oh, and there's a lot of paper mills in Louisiana, so I'm down there on a regular basis..
    No man is an island. Except the Isle of Man.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast