So I got a couple hammocks and now I'm getting hooked.

Hi guys!

I'm just getting into hammocks. Mostly as a form of cutting weight on quick overnight trips and having a place to relax on day hikes. However the bug has bit and is digging in.

I picked up a grand trunk double, I've camped in it a couple times now with a zlite pad and a bag. I've been carrying it on my day hikes as well. Hanging it above waterfalls and the such, kicking back and reading a book.

Now that I'm looking to cut weight again, I picked up a nano. I haven't hung it in the woods yet but I've laid in it around the house, it's strangely small compared to my double but that was to be expected. I don't plan to camp in it, just to take it on day hikes in place of my double.

I'm looking to lighten up both and get better suspension. Right now I'm just using the GT tree straps.

I'm also looking into making my own stuff in the near future.
    Has anyone made a hammock with the under quilt already attached? Like a one piece thing? Maybe something like a hanging quilt.

Anyways, Suggestions are always welcome!
    I have to get to work.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images

So I got a couple hammocks and now I'm getting hooked.

Hammock
    Dutchware Halfwit
    Tarp
    HG hex tarp
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hello phantommaggot. Love the username.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Welcome from SC.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Quote Originally Posted by Nhott View Post
    Thanks for the links!
    I'll take a solid look at the insulated hammocks.
    I came across the poncho liner DIY a month or so ago, As soon as I come a poncho liner I'll be trying to make one.

Quote Originally Posted by capybara View Post
    Hello phantommaggot. Love the username.
    Thanks, I've used that username for everything since I was 11. 18 years or so now lol. It's from an old pop punk song.

Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Welcome from SC.
    Thank you very much!
    I hope my stay here is pleasant for everyone involved. Looking forward to learning what I can when I can.

Now, A little more about what got me into hammocks.
    I got into them sort of spur of the moment. I'd thought about picking up an ENO single for some time to take on my day hikes and hang up for my daughter to play around in. But since I'm a happy tent camper I never really got one.
    Recently a lot of my friends have been picking up hammocks for things like FloydFest and lounging around. I was turned on to Grand Trunk Ultralight by a friend of mine. I hit up the local outdoor store, figured $20 wasn't so bad for a hammock. While I was shopping around I saw the 'camo' pattern double and impulse bought it on the spot. The camo pattern is a rare NVA pattern that I've always liked but never really see anywhere.

I used it to lounge around and watch my daughter play. Took it on some day hikes, and 2 overnights. So far I'm digging it.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Much lighter options out there.....but none of them got you out in the woods and off the ground. Kudos once again to GT/Eno.

But yeah. If you're serious about trimming the load out, you may wish to look around a bit. I'm liking Simply Light Designs SL Streamliner atm, but my 11' BIAS WW is going to be tough to beat for comfort and packability. Take a look at both and as many others as possible. The truth is out there!

I like the insulated hammock idea, but once again, my entrie insulation kit + hammock doesn't wieght that much, and Shell's weights don't include TQ.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ + Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinches
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. Your addiction will be well fed here.

Make your own hammock? I’d let my older kids do it. I’d be happy if I could hang my hammock the right way ..!
    “ Take only pictures leave only footprints”-- Anonymous
    http://thecampingtrail.net

Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I like the insulated hammock idea, but... my entrie insulation kit + hammock doesn't wieght that much.
    These hammocks aren't so much about saving weight, as they are about saving time (packing and unpacking) as well as being easy to use and adjust, out of the bag; with the added befit of having a place to stash yur gear up off the ground. 😁

I'm always glad to see someone new to the 'elevated' side! Welcome.
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Much lighter options out there.....but none of them got you out in the woods and off the ground. Kudos once again to GT/Eno.

But yeah. If you're serious about trimming the load out, you may wish to look around a bit. I'm liking Simply Light Designs SL Streamliner atm, but my 11' BIAS WW is going to be tough to beat for comfort and packability. Take a look at both and as many others as possible. The truth is out there!

I like the insulated hammock idea, but once again, my entrie insulation kit + hammock doesn't wieght that much, and Shell's weights don't include TQ.
    Thanks for the info sir!
    I will look into both of those. For now I'm gonna try to get a lightweight suspension setup for my ultralight for day hikes. Since I've already spent the money. Was thinking Amsteel loop through the ends and whoopie slings/ tree straps/dutch biners and clips.. All I use it for is day hikes, I don't think I could actually stand to overnight in it, its tiny.
    This would also allow me to transfer the MUCH lighter biners from the ultralight to my double for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Divigation View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Your addiction will be well fed here.
    Thanks! One can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Campbell View Post
    Make your own hammock? I’d let my older kids do it. I’d be happy if I could hang my hammock the right way ..!
    I like making my own stuff, I just haven't gotten around to doing it for the outdoors yet. Well, some stuff but nothing requiring a sewing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ShellHammock View Post
    These hammocks aren't so much about saving weight, as they are about saving time (packing and unpacking) as well as being easy to use and adjust, out of the bag; with the added befit of having a place to stash yur gear up off the ground. 😁

I'm always glad to see someone new to the 'elevated' side! Welcome.
    Thanks!

The time vs weight equation is one that I constantly struggle with. Which is why I thought about insulated hammocks....
    I even thought about trying to use a poncho liner as a hammock.
    Maybe a fleece blanket with some windproof material on one side as a thin/light/cheap underquilt.

When I overnight, I am still always crunched for time and like as little fuss and hassle as possible when I'm setting up so I can get to work on fire ETC before I run out of light.

I returned a synmat7 the other day because I just couldn't make myself take the time to pump it up. It was annoying and my zlite is fine unless its winter.

• + New Posts