Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

2/3 and 3/4 Experiments

Hi everybody. Just a few questions.

1. 2/3 or 3/4 UQ's require a pad, does this pad need to be full size? If not fullsize how do you keep it from sliding down to your back? Secondly, if the pad is full size or less how much will it weigh, and would this weight negate the point of the weight savings with 2/3 or 3/4 UQ? In other words, would it be the same weight to just get a full length uq like a snugfit in reference to weight when compared to a pad + 2/3? (Lowest temps to be experienced is in the 20's - affecting pad selection)

2. Does the Yeti UQ have bungee/shock/some kind of elastic cord to snug it and allow it to move with the body?

3. What are the actual weights of yeti's and te-wa's from those of you who own them.

4. What are the lowest temps that you have gone to with a 2/3 or 3/4 and been comfortable? Please note whether you are a warm or cold sleeper.

FOR WARBONNET OWNERS:

5. How is the fit with snugfits/JRBs/other full length UQ's? Does it require additional straps or clips to hold it in place because of the footbox? Additionally do you find your the UQ moving around and perhaps creating cold spots or letting air in on your BB?

thanks everybody
    Last edited by ikemouser; 07-12-2009 at 19:55.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post

1. 2/3 or 3/4 UQ's require a pad, does this pad need to be full size? If not fullsize how do you keep it from sliding down to your back? Secondly, if the pad is full size or less how much will it weigh, and would this weight negate the point of a 2/3 or 3/4 UQ? In other words, would it be the same weight to just get a full length uq like a snugfit in reference to weight when compared to a pad + 2/3? (Lowest temps to be experienced is in the 20's - affecting pad selection)
    No, the pad need not be full size, as long as you are within the temp-rating of the quilt. The pad generally doesn't slide, because it is held in place by the weight of your legs. The weight difference depends entirely on the pad and quilt(s) chosen. Having a pad for under your legs makes it a multi-function piece of gear, though, because that pad can also be used as a sit-pad and for some packs a framesheet.

2. Does the Yeti UQ have bungee/shock/some kind of elastic cord to snug it and allow it to move with the body?
    Yes, the entire suspension of the Yeti is a loop of shockcord. It snugs to the hammock body nicely, and can be adjusted (from head to foot) at will.

3. What are the actual weights of yeti's and te-wa's from those of you who own them.
    I don't own a Te-Wa quilt, but I do have one of the 'beta' 3 season Yeti models. It is approx 14oz, including the stuff sack.

4. What are the lowest temps that you have gone to with a 2/3 or 3/4 and been comfortable? Please note whether you are a warm or cold sleeper.
    I've only had my Yeti down to about 30ºF, because that is the coldest temp that I encountered since I've owned it. I wouldn't want to go much lower than that without supplementing it with either more clothing or a pad, but it is the 3 season model. I consider myself an 'average' warmth sleeper.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    current 3 season yetis are about 12.5oz in the sac.

many find they don't need anything under the lower legs till it gets down to the 50's or below. then your leg pad could range from sit pad sized to 3' long or so. upper thighs to feet is nice in winter temps, but probably overkill above 40 deg for me. i used a 15"x18"x1/4" ccf (1.25oz) sit pad in the footbox of my tq in the low 40's recently and it worked well. i'm a cold sleeper.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    current te-wa uq is 40x52 and roughly 13oz in sack.

at your size of 5' 7" you will likely only need a pad about 18x30* and a 1/4" ccf may work to the low 40s.
    i have used a 3/8 thick ccf pad down to freezing.
    legs below the knee need much less insulation than your core.

*allows for several inches of overlap on the UQ, keeping any cold air from sneaking in

I recently tested Brandon's method of putting a trim-to-fit ccf pad inside my top quilt, and it worked good. (2.1oz)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I've been using a JRB Hudson River and getting almost too warm in 40-50 degree night temps. Very comfortable down to freezing, probably beyond. All you need is the free end mod that lets you pull up the foot end from the center. All attachment points are at the knot in the line (I have the strap suspension, but there is a short length of line at the whipping with a knot in it that makes a handy place to clip the end mod biner and stop the prussiks of the JRB suspension).

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

1. 2/3 or 3/4 UQ's require a pad, does this pad need to be full size? If not fullsize how do you keep it from sliding down to your back? Secondly, if the pad is full size or less how much will it weigh, and would this weight negate the point of the weight savings with 2/3 or 3/4 UQ? In other words, would it be the same weight to just get a full length uq like a snugfit in reference to weight when compared to a pad + 2/3? (Lowest temps to be experienced is in the 20's - affecting pad selection)

FOR WARBONNET OWNERS:

5. How is the fit with snugfits/JRBs/other full length UQ's? Does it require additional straps or clips to hold it in place because of the footbox? Additionally do you find your the UQ moving around and perhaps creating cold spots or letting air in on your BB?

thanks everybody
    1. They do not require pads, this is a rumor ; a backpack under the legs works just fine, even better than a pad IMO because my pack is now multi-purpose plus, it does a better job of insulating and provides a very nice knee break.

2. Yes, the Yeti's shockcord kind of cups over your shoulders. Stays in place very well for me, but I've heard reports of active sleepers having it slip. Brandon's wife's (Alta) Yeti had slipped one morning this weekend, but she was curled-up and said it was still keeping her very warm. Looked funny to be sure.

3. 3-Season Yeti 12oz (no stuff sack). Haven't tried the Te-Was....yet.

4. Ummm, I'm a warm sleeper. Lowest recorded temp was -14F. Pretty sure I've been lower, but I did not have a thermometer with me.

5. Genuine Draft occasionally has to reach out of her Blackbird to adjust the SnugFit because her feet tend to pull the left shoulder under her body. No biggie for her and she HATES to be cold. JRB stuff works great.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts