Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer ultralight
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter 10x12
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    Suspension
    ENO atlas straps

using descender rings to suspend a hennessy, using the stock ropes?

any problem with that? does the compression of the rope cause a problem with the ropes? I foolishly used figure 9 biners a while ago and they messed up the sheathing a little, so I want to avoid messing up my ropes... or dropping my butt to the ground.
    "If dogs don't go to heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Wag More, Bark Less.

Come over to the dark side... we have cookies!

I used descender rings in conjunction with a biner before I switched to whoopie slings. After about 10 nights of sleeping in it, there is no noticeable wear.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M

I been using this method for a year or more on my HH stock suspension with no issues. That would make it something close to 50 hangs with it. If my suspension ever starts showing wear I am going to switch over to Dutch's webbing set ups.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter 10x12
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    Suspension
    ENO atlas straps
    thanks, guys! I'll get the biners and rings tomorrow when I'm over at REI anyway for the garage sale.
    "If dogs don't go to heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Wag More, Bark Less.

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I was using the exact setup from dkurfiss' video link. I have since abandoned that method.

What I use now are Kammok Python Straps and 2 the 2 climbing biners I had from the setup in the video. I think this is one of the easiest methods possible. I simply put the Python straps on the tree, quickly figure my center spacing, put a couple of fast loop knots in the HH suspension line (I can usually use the existing ones I have already made), and clip....clip the 2 biners and it is done!

If you do use the descender ring method, I recommend getting biners that are wide enough so the descender rings fit into the biner without bunching and so the stock tree straps also fit without bunching.

Hammock
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter 10x12
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    Suspension
    ENO atlas straps
    Thanks - good advice. Why did you switch?

Wag More, Bark Less.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    the ring suspension has been a tried and true method for a long time. There was a lot of playing with ropes early in the forums history. The consensus was, IIRC, the ropes were less successful than webbing. The ropes did not seem to bite effectively and required some tweaking to make them most successful. I adapted the stock ropes to hold the rings and used a webbing suspension to actually hang from. It works very well when coupled with a lippery half-hitch to lock it off.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennessy Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's
    Insulation
    Potomac, Snugpak
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    A few reasons.

First I will agree the descender rings are pretty easy to get tension on the suspension. However, in reality, you only need to be able to apply extra tension to one side if you have the hammock fairly centered when you start. This means the other set and side is just extra gear and weight.

Second, I am not very good with knots. So I struggled to get a good quick release setup in the descender rings. This led to a very difficult time getting the stock suspension rope "free" when I wanted to take down the hammock.

Third, I was unhappy with the length of the stock HH straps and the fact that I had to connect to both loops in each stap. I often found the straps sliding down the tree (trees to large to double wrap). So I decided to buy longer easier straps and the Pythons were the choice. It then was simple, the carabiners themselves were all I needed. No need for the descender rings. A simple knot that creates a loop in the stock suspension rope on each end and hook the biner onto it and onto the Python. I think it is a bit easier to get the 30 degree hang angle also.

But, I did use the descender ring method for over a year and it does work.

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It's a good way to hang. Used it with stock ropes (HH UL BP) for a dozen hangs with no problem. Then I swapped the HH spectra cord with a thicker PMI cord (5 mm) and hung with that for about 2 years. Again without any problems. No matter what suspension system you use there will always be trade offs. The biggest pain with the Garda hitch is that it can take a while to undo.

• + New Posts