HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies

A Trip of Firsts - a Trial run

I've had my Hammock for a while now, but didn't have the chance to actual get out and use it in the real outdoors. That finally changed last weekend!

As I hadn't been out before, and I knew there would be things I wanted to tweak, I decided to go to Cat Lake, just north of Alice Lake Provincial Park in BC.

The site is walk-in only, but a short walk. I wanted to simulate hiking in, but also wanted to take more gear (extra line, tools, multiple test stoves, etc), for the previously mentioned gear tweaking. At only ten minutes of a walk, it was quick enough to make a couple of trips, but far enough I could feel I was getting some real experience.

I won't go into the really boring details, but I will share all the changes I made, my ‘Firsts’, and other tidbits of info I learned ….

1) This was my first solo camping trip ever! Not a huge accomplishment in a popular camping area, but still a first.

2) I switched my tarp from being suspended from prusiks on a CRL, to the in-line hang method, as described by the ultimate hang in this drawing:
    continuous-ridgeline-dutch-hook1.png

I found the prusiks to be finicky and difficult to get a tight RL. This method works better for me.

3) My first usage with the 2QZQ Door Mod for my HH Hex tarp, along with the pole mod.

It worked, and looked great! Lots of room, and privacy from the trail. Using the doors I was able to put the tarp in porch mode while blocking people wandering the trail from seeing in.

140602-Cat_Lake-0022.jpg

I actually had a group of mountain bikes go by and one of the guys said: “That guy’s Hardcore. He’s tarping it!”
    I don't think I've ever been called Hardcore before …. I doubt he’d have said that if he could see the nice comfy hammock.

4) I swapped out the HH snake skins for some DIY Lazy Slug Tubes. I liked the idea of keeping my insulation together in a single, neat package.

140602-Cat_Lake-0012.jpg .......... 140602-Cat_Lake-0007.jpg ................................ 140604-Cat_Lake-0132.jpg
    Left - HH Skins .......... Middle - LST's w/hammock only .......... Right - LST's with TQ & UQ

I made the LST’s out of Sil. I think I did a good job on the sewing, as I had a bit more trouble getting the air out than I expected when packing up…. I will have to open up the opening on the ends a bit. Super easy to do, as they are currently cinched with micro locks.
    140602-Cat_Lake-0016.jpg

5) Tried an experiment with a redundant Diverging of Excess Water (DEW?) method. I probably don’t need to worry, as I currently have a biner attaching to a ring, so the water should stop there, but after seeing the video of how water can travel across breaks, in the right circumstances, I figured it wouldn't hurt.

140602-Cat_Lake-0020.jpg
    It is just some shoelace that is tied across both sides of the ring, with a tail off both sides. This should catch any excess, no matter what direction it comes from. Thoughts? (It didn't rain while I was out)

6) First real trial of water filtration using my DIY Sawyer Squeeze -> gravity filter.

I didn't even notice that there was no running water at the park - so I'm really glad I took the filter. The plan was to use it anyway, but this made it a more realistic test.

I was able to access the water from the lake just down the hill from my site. I even had a fallen tree going out into the lake a bit so I didn't have to take water from right at the shore line. All very handy! (The lake was actually much clearer than I expected anyway.)

I made my dirty water bag connect to the filter via a quick connect with auto shutoff. This allowed me to fill the dirty bag without having to carry around any extra hose, or be concerned of getting the clean parts contaminated. Once raised into a tree a bit, I was very impressed with the flow from the filter. I filled my water bottle and MSR bladder, but ended up just using the filter like a faucet whenever I needed a drink, or to make food. The built in pre-filter did it’s job nicely too!
    140602-Cat_Lake-0017.jpg

Here is a link to how I made it: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1108243

7) First try using a DIY Hammock Chair …. This was a mixed success. The chair seemed a good size, but I couldn't get comfortable. I think I could have, if I had more time to play, but some of the stitches started to pop. It was my first sewing project for anything that would need to take any weight, and I didn't know enough about multiple rows of stitching, stitch length, or anything else needed to make something safe to sit in. I plan to make some repairs and try again in the future.
    140602-Cat_Lake-0030.jpg 140602-Cat_Lake-0031.jpg

7b) First try of a gear hammock … After the chair didn't work out, I hung it as a gear hammock. Not that it was needed, but to try it out, plus it kept my stuff hidden from view.
    140602-Cat_Lake-0038.jpg
    What a great idea someone had - it is so convenient! I didn't have it positioned perfectly, but I could definitely imagine it keeping everything dry in the rain.

8) I needed to add some gear loops to the ends of the hammock RL …

I removed the stock RL and replaced it with an adjustable RL when I swapped out the stock suspension. In doing so, I no longer had the knots in the line given a place to anchor gear up in the ends. I had intended to add this prior to my trip, but totally forgot - Luckily, I brought my splicing stuff.

I wanted a fairly small loop ... I could have used a continuous loop, but figured I would not have any need to ever remove it, or move it’s position. I’m not exactly sure how I came up with the idea, but I managed to make a loop smaller than the smallest continuous loop.

First, I passed some Zing-it through the RL Amsteel, and formed a small Locked Brummel.
    140602-Cat_Lake-0056.jpg

Then, I passed the tail up through the opening in the Brummel, over the line, and was able to back splice into the loop. Somehow in doing this, the tail from the brummel didn’t interfere with the second splice. I think somewhere in the process, the extra wrapping used a little more line, but allowed a tighter end-product.
    140602-Cat_Lake-0057.jpg 140602-Cat_Lake-0059.jpg 140602-Cat_Lake-0061.jpg

I repeated the process on the other end, and even took the pictures, but I don’t know if I could repeat exactly what I did, again.

9) First field trials of DIY Alcohol stoves. I had made a soda can stove using the directions here: http://www.thesodacanstove.com/

I also had a few tries of the ‘New stove Design’ as seen here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...w-stove-design
    First I tried what I thought was my best attempt at the ‘New Stove’ - It worked, but wasn’t as efficient as what others seemed to be getting. I think I had my jets too big, so I’ll try making a few more and see what I can do.

The soda can stove worked great!
    I made a ‘Jet Only’ cover as an experiment - It seemed to increase it’s effectiveness. The cover was similar to the snuffer, but only included the center portion - covering up the larger opening in the middle, while keeping the jets free. It essentially looked like a convertible penny stove. If you have a hole in the cover, you can actually fill and light the stove without opening it - this made things easier, as adding the cover after it’s lit is a little tricky and wastes fuel.

I managed to get 1.5 Cups of water to boil in about 6 min, in a Toaks 1300 mL Titanium pot, (http://www.amazon.com/TOAKS-Titanium.../dp/B009N5JHIE) using 20 mL of fuel. (about ⅔ Oz). 15 mL (0.5oz) got hot enough to use, but not quite to boiling.
    I used a syringe to do my fuel measurements, so it’s pretty accurate.

I brought my MSR international, but didn't touch it, except to borrow the windscreen. For the weight, I can’t see using this stove much anymore, unless I’m with a bigger group, or need snow melted.

Continued in Part 2

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies
    10) First Attempts at rehydrating hot meals. I've had my dehydrator for some time, and use it for fruits when stuff is in season, but this was actual meals - honestly, they were dehydrated leftovers from regular meals. No special prep.

My first attempt was rehydrating in the pot. It was successful, but I misjudged the amount of water needed - it was more soup than sauce, but still tasty. I doubt anyone would have known it wasn't fresh, other than the soupiness. The cleanup was not fun.
    140602-Cat_Lake-0064.jpg

My second attempt was using a ziplock freezer bag and a pot cozy. Much nicer, neater, and far easier cleanup. I think this will be my goto method for cooking on future trips.
    140603-Cat_Lake-0070.jpg

11) Field trials of my USB Charger. You may have seen my earlier post on the making of this charger. (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...lar-compatible)

Everything was working great, except the capacity didn’t seem to be there. I only got about about a 40% charge from each - The lake is in cell range, so I made a few calls to use up some power to do the testing.

I will need to check the circuit and do some in-depth testing of the control board, but I’m pretty confident I can improve the system. I've already got a few ideas of improvements for efficiency and possibly further weight reduction.

12) A possible group site! While doing a walk around the park, I found one particular site that looks like it would do for a small group hang. Lots of nicely spaced trees surrounding a good sized common area. Also, judging from one of the other sites in use, they aren't super fussy about you being a bit outside the formal ‘site’, so some of the trees a bit further out could probably be utilised as well.
    140602-Cat_Lake-0047.jpg

13) My First upside-down fire. A bit tricky to get started in the provided fire pit, but totally worth the effort. It burned for at least 3 hours without needing any tending! Plus it got so hot, I kept having to move the log I was sitting on further away. I was surprised how well it used all the wood. I had virtually nothing left, besides ash, after letting it burn itself out. Not that I would plan to make these often, especially while doing anything backcountry, it’s nice to have the experience, and fun to try new things.
    140603-Cat_Lake-0087.jpg 140603-Cat_Lake-0125.jpg 140604-Cat_Lake-0130.jpg

14) I didn't have my feet higher than my head …. A mistake.
    I did learn this lesson in backyard testing, but completely forgot about it when setting up in the field for the first time. You really do slide down if you forget! It’s amazing how such a little oversight can affect your comfort.

15) First real trial of my DIY UQ and TQ. The TQ didn't even have a backyard test before. I was quite toasty. The temps were pretty warm at night - probably around 15 - 17C or so - so it wasn't much of a test for the insulation. I need to change how my UQ attached to the hammock, but otherwise things are good.

Thanks for reading - Sorry it's so long. :P

Here's a couple of final pics, just for the fun of it:

pano.jpg 140602-Cat_Lake-0048.jpg 140602-Cat_Lake-0050.jpg

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Sunkmail, you write a really good trip report and your pics are well done! That location is surely beautiful. Thanks for sharing the details - I can't wait to try making some of those really small loops
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    Very thorough first report. How did you like sleeping in the hammock? Are you using JRB self tensioning guy lines? How do you like them? I have them for my tarps and they work great.
    Discretion is the better of valor

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Thanks for posting. Nice write up and review of you gear. Beautiful spot to hang out at.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux
    Tarp
    DIY w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    UCR/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Penfold View Post
    Very thorough first report. How did you like sleeping in the hammock? Are you using JRB self tensioning guy lines? How do you like them? I have them for my tarps and they work great.
    I do enjoy the hammock.
    As mentioned, I have done some trial runs in the backyard, so the sleep isn't completely new. Having the foot end did definitely make the night less comfortable. I don't think I'll be making that error again soon.

Currently my guy lines are straight Zing-It. I'll be making some DIY self-tensioning ones in the near-ish future. My UQ adjustment and DIY tarp are taking priority over them at the moment.

Cheers!

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like you've got the DIY and hammocking thing down pretty good. Thanks for sharing your time in the piney woods.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    HH Exped Classic, Dutch Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Forum Member Made
    Insulation
    JRB HR, Greylock3
    Suspension
    Rings, Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for posting. This a really great report for someone like me who will also be doing a night of firsts soon.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Great write up. .

I enjoyed all the lessons learned and things that went well.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Very nice. You packed a ton in! Feet higher than head is a must remember for sure....I have forgotten many a time.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast