Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Don't even get me started on mummy bags.

Going to go hug my quilts now.

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    First time I ever used a mummy bag I freaked. Tried it in my den in advance of a winter camping trip. Zipped it up and then suddenly panicked. Yanked at the zipper so hard that the fabric pull tab came off, which didn't help the panic. It was a friends very narrow bag. I now stick with roomier mummies.
    I have to totally agree, I have more of a problem getting out of my mummy to use the tree than getting out of the BB. No problems for me at all, but I have not used the BB with a tarp, so I'm sure that may add a level of claustrophobia to someone already prone to it.
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    I'm very claustrophobic, but I find the BB just fine, and less confining than my HH. The stock HH setup was a bit troublesome because the tarp was so close to the hammock - a separate tarp, set up higher, solved that, and the BB has the option of being left open on bug-free nights.

As to the egress under duress issue, I'd bet I can get out of either of my hammocks faster than I can get out of my tent, and there's no crawling involved. I suppose a true claustrophobe would carry a knife to bed to cut his/her way out of bed, whether hammocking or tenting... dang, now that'll be in my head

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Going to go hug my quilts now.

I'm going to make that tshirt: "Have you hugged your quilts today?"

Genuine Draft has some issues in confined spaces. I have a few hammocks that she won't even consider trying. She does fine in her Blackbird, but there have been a couple of nights where she had to unzip and flip the netting over so she is in a truly open space. Still, I haven't found a hammock with bug-netting that has a roomier feel than the birds.

As for a quick exit, the HHs probably win in this category (hammocks with nets) because you hit the ground already standing; no rolling out in a sideways stance. Long story, but I was once stuck in the bottom of my Warbonnet ElDorado. It looked like one of those decorating tubes they use for pastry and cake decorating. The zipper was at the top (end still attached) and I was at the bottom all crunched up and in pain. I would not have been able to get out without destroying the hammock if it had not been for other hikers present. But, under normal circumstances, getting out in a hurry isn't that big of a deal; maybe 2 or 3 seconds.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

I'm going to make that tshirt: "Have you hugged your quilts today?"
    (nip)
    As for a quick exit, the HHs probably win in this category (hammocks with nets) because you hit the ground already standing; no rolling out in a sideways stance. Long story, but I was once stuck in the bottom of my Warbonnet ElDorado. It looked like one of those decorating tubes they use for pastry and cake decorating. The zipper was at the top (end still attached) and I was at the bottom all crunched up and in pain. I would not have been able to get out without destroying the hammock if it had not been for other hikers present. But, under normal circumstances, getting out in a hurry isn't that big of a deal; maybe 2 or 3 seconds.
    On the back of the shirt, or maybe in smaller print, it should say "mummy bag PTSD - if only there were medication."

I would have paid for tickets to Cannibal trapped in a hammock. Bet it would have made a cool youtube vid - sack of mad cats, or trapped hammocker?

There were times when my HH refused to let me out. Might have had to do with my weight holding the velcro shut, but when you're sleepy and really need to get out it's kind of a pain. I had to wake up enough to rip the slit open with my fingers.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I would have paid for tickets to Cannibal trapped in a hammock. Bet it would have made a cool youtube vid - sack of mad cats, or trapped hammocker?
    According to those who were in the shelter at the time, no video was needed...only audio. I let out one terrific scream when my back hit the edge of the sleeping platform. The guys there said they had never heard anything so frightening before. I believe em, it hurt like heck! Hope to never, ever, repeat it.

I like the PTSD bit on the back. That's funny!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12