Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by njredneck View Post
    Just wanted to thank everyone for coming out for a great hang.
    Thanks for organizing the whole thing. Another succesful hang! Hope everyone had a great father's day weekend!!

Hammock
    Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for posting the pictures!! Lol you even got one of our makeshift shower!

Hammock
    Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Cool

I want that Kale recipe =D

Quote Originally Posted by natureboy68 View Post
    Ok, I'll go; I'm showered and de-programmed!

I would need a thesaurus to find more adjectives to describe how incredible the hang was and how friendly other HF users were…first and foremost, as it was my first group hang, it was great to put faces to user names!

John4 and I left Long Island Friday the 13th (:0) at 3:30PM, planning to make a quick stop in Brooklyn to drop off a buddy’s dog I was dog sitting, got a little turned around looking for the entrance to the Verrazano bridge, and then the traffic began, bumper to bumper all the way to the Cheesequake service center on the Garden State Parkway, got there at 7pm, still 2 hours away! Mind you my plan for dinner was a cheesesteak at Nixons Deli which closes at 9PM, so just in case a Royale with cheese was in order…

Found the turnoff for Batona Camp at a little after 9pm, dark, foggy, and a little spooky in the middle of the NJ Pine Barrens, for those not familiar with the PB, I suggest finding and watching “Sopranos” season 3, episode 11 “pine barrens” having never been to Batona Camp, I was not sure where to go, as there were no signs and trails going every which way, the line from Bruce Springsteen’s “Rosalita” kept playing in my head “out stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of Jersey” (this will become important later on!) after a few circles and going back and forth, I finally found the campsite, pulled in and was immediately welcomed by members already there, Silentorpheus, Ratdog, Silentsurfr, Wilson, Pillsburythrowboy12, Jerzeybears, Lauriemedis and some LEO gents who happened to be randomly camping too! (others will have their story I am sure). We did so much chatting it took forever to set up! I was in such a hurry; I ended up putting the mambajama up inside out! As I was gimpy for this trip, no hiking for me, but that didn’t stop some from a night hike! (again, others will tell THAT story) a campfire was started and stoked, Silversurfr told some (!) stories, and I turned in at 3AM.

The next day, was beautiful weather, great lunch from Nixon’s, tinkered with some gear, meet more great HF members: P47chowhound, Aircoder, Treefrog (and son) Perrito, Chris and his lovely wife, and NJredneck and family who, started all this with just one post! Some went to do a little service work paddling (others will tell that) others just relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful day and the great company.

Dinner was started and the gastronomic contributions rolled in! bacon sliders, bulgolgli, tamales, Broccoli di rape, kale, veggie salad, stuffed peppers, rib eye steak, chicken tandoori, sausage stuffed peppers, sausages, blueberry pie, Portuguese egg tarts, and Smacos! (ask NJredneck for that!) Blazing campfire and more good stories and camaraderie. Jshep came later and we found out why he was late, his buddy Mo lived the line from Bruce Springsteen! (Jshep can tell you that story!) Another night hike, and I went to bed fairly early around midnight…

Woke up early (8:30?) started to pack in between coffee, sausage gravy and biscuits, breakfast burritos, bacon grilled perfectly by P47chowhound, more coffee, said farewells, made plans for the blueberry hang and hit the road at 10:30, but don’t you know it, MORE TRAFFIC! Took 4.5 hours to get home…I hate traffic…

Short gear report: temps got down to 55-65* at night, the PLUQ and PLTQ worked great, no bugs, no nighttime rain!

Can’t wait for the next group hang! Great guys and gals, very friendly, lots of extra equipment if needed, a few newbies that are hooked…A good time had by all! Thanks everyone and good meeting you all! Looking forward to some more woods time with you all!

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    Oh yeah!

Italian flag kale
    2 bunches of Kale
    1 Onion
    2-?? Cloves of Garlic
    Olive oil
    1 can of diced tomatoes
    Salt n pepper

Remove tough stems from kale, rinse, tear into small pieces, put aside...slice onion, chop garlic, sauté onion in olive oil till soft/lightly brown, add garlic, sauté about a minute longer, DONT BURN GARLIC! Add whole can of diced tomatoes, juice and all, add about 1/4 water, maybe a little lemon juice, sauté around a bit till bubbly (all under medium heat) add kale, stir it around till cooked down and taste kale till it's cooked to your liking, not too mushy! Salt n pepper to taste...consume!

Hammock
    Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HammockGear Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris183 View Post
    That campsite was awesome. I will try to post pictures later on. It was good meeting everyone and also seeing familiar faces.

Beef Bulgogi recipe (4 servings) :

1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced
    5 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
    1/4 cup chopped green onion
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    2 tablespoons sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Place the beef in a shallow dish. Combine soy sauce, sugar, green onion, garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and ground black pepper in a small bowl. Pour over beef.

2. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.

3. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil the grate.

4. Quickly grill beef on hot grill until slightly charred and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side.

We used regular onions instead of green onions (scallion) cuz that was all I had. It still turned out great though!

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Here's a couple of quick pics from this weekend. Too many of my shots ended up blurry.

P1070593.jpg
    SilvrSurfr and John4

P1070594.jpg
    Chris183 and Diana cooking up their tasty Beef Bulgogi.

P1070597.jpg
    The tireless NJredneck

P1070603.jpg
    Pallets on fire!

It was great meeting so many new people. Looking forward to the next time.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Images
    Awesome time!!! Can't wait till the next one!

http://youtu.be/WCnJAWjbPMU

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    awesome vid! Mo's poor car!! man I must've been zonked, never heard Mo's air pump at 3am!!

Senior Member pilsburythrowboy12's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB mamba, HG Incub
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Holy crap! How was Mo's car still running after being that deep in the drink? What in the world possessed him to even attempt wading through that? You guys were so mean to him haha!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Images
    Haha!! We love mo!! I've known him my whole life. I'm allowed to be mean. Any chance I get to make fun of joke around with him I take it!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast