Web with Triangles
    Images
    Leftover take home totals -
    3 eggs
    partial sleeve of Ritz Crackers
    1 ribeye I never had a chance to cook

My plan would have worked if it weren't for those hungry meddling kids
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    That campsite was awesome. I will try to post pictures later on. It was good meeting everyone and also seeing familiar faces.

Beef Bulgogi recipe (4 servings) :

1 pound flank steak, thinly sliced
    5 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
    1/4 cup chopped green onion
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    2 tablespoons sesame seeds
    2 tablespoons sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Place the beef in a shallow dish. Combine soy sauce, sugar, green onion, garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and ground black pepper in a small bowl. Pour over beef.

2. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.

3. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil the grate.

4. Quickly grill beef on hot grill until slightly charred and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
    Honor guide me

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    Ok, I'll go; I'm showered and de-programmed!

I would need a thesaurus to find more adjectives to describe how incredible the hang was and how friendly other HF users were…first and foremost, as it was my first group hang, it was great to put faces to user names!

John4 and I left Long Island Friday the 13th (:0) at 3:30PM, planning to make a quick stop in Brooklyn to drop off a buddy’s dog I was dog sitting, got a little turned around looking for the entrance to the Verrazano bridge, and then the traffic began, bumper to bumper all the way to the Cheesequake service center on the Garden State Parkway, got there at 7pm, still 2 hours away! Mind you my plan for dinner was a cheesesteak at Nixons Deli which closes at 9PM, so just in case a Royale with cheese was in order…

Found the turnoff for Batona Camp at a little after 9pm, dark, foggy, and a little spooky in the middle of the NJ Pine Barrens, for those not familiar with the PB, I suggest finding and watching “Sopranos” season 3, episode 11 “pine barrens” having never been to Batona Camp, I was not sure where to go, as there were no signs and trails going every which way, the line from Bruce Springsteen’s “Rosalita” kept playing in my head “out stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of Jersey” (this will become important later on!) after a few circles and going back and forth, I finally found the campsite, pulled in and was immediately welcomed by members already there, Silentorpheus, Ratdog, Silentsurfr, Wilson, Pillsburythrowboy12, Jerzeybears, Lauriemedis and some LEO gents who happened to be randomly camping too! (others will have their story I am sure). We did so much chatting it took forever to set up! I was in such a hurry; I ended up putting the mambajama up inside out! As I was gimpy for this trip, no hiking for me, but that didn’t stop some from a night hike! (again, others will tell THAT story) a campfire was started and stoked, Silversurfr told some (!) stories, and I turned in at 3AM.

The next day, was beautiful weather, great lunch from Nixon’s, tinkered with some gear, meet more great HF members: P47chowhound, Aircoder, Treefrog (and son) Perrito, Chris and his lovely wife, and NJredneck and family who, started all this with just one post! Some went to do a little service work paddling (others will tell that) others just relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful day and the great company.

Dinner was started and the gastronomic contributions rolled in! bacon sliders, bulgolgli, tamales, Broccoli di rape, kale, veggie salad, stuffed peppers, rib eye steak, chicken tandoori, sausage stuffed peppers, sausages, blueberry pie, Portuguese egg tarts, and Smacos! (ask NJredneck for that!) Blazing campfire and more good stories and camaraderie. Jshep came later and we found out why he was late, his buddy Mo lived the line from Bruce Springsteen! (Jshep can tell you that story!) Another night hike, and I went to bed fairly early around midnight…

Woke up early (8:30?) started to pack in between coffee, sausage gravy and biscuits, breakfast burritos, bacon grilled perfectly by P47chowhound, more coffee, said farewells, made plans for the blueberry hang and hit the road at 10:30, but don’t you know it, MORE TRAFFIC! Took 4.5 hours to get home…I hate traffic…

Short gear report: temps got down to 55-65* at night, the PLUQ and PLTQ worked great, no bugs, no nighttime rain!

Can’t wait for the next group hang! Great guys and gals, very friendly, lots of extra equipment if needed, a few newbies that are hooked…A good time had by all! Thanks everyone and good meeting you all! Looking forward to some more woods time with you all!

Hammock
    11' gathered, diy bridge
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    hg 20,llg 0
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Just wanted to thank everyone for coming out for a great hang.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    I have some pics of the food on my phone. I will post when I can.

Great to meet everyone. Little toad and I had a great time. Good times, good people, good food!
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Senior Member pilsburythrowboy12's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB mamba, HG Incub
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles

A great time was had indeed

As already mentioned, it was awful nice putting some faces to some names and like Round Valley the chow and libations were no disappointment in any sense. The weekend plain flew by and both Silver Surfer and myself were in total agreement about Saturday just passing in an absolute flash. I got a chance to dial in my newly acquired Warbonnet Blackbird and learned the valuable lesson that even the coolest, well spoken of and pricey gear needs to be adjusted to your personal preferences in order to live up to its billing. As reluctant as I am to admit this, there's no way I'm gonna remember fully the list of the many new human names to associate with the handles of the members I met but nonetheless, it was a pleasure to meet all of you guys & gals. Thanks for a great weekend ya'll and here are the pics!

Day one (Friday) of the hell pain and misery of setup in the torrential downpours.
    photo 1(4).jpg, photo 1(7).jpg, photo 2(4).jpg, photo 2(7).jpg

Saturday's collection of some of the members hammock combinations and other randoms.
    photo 1(2).jpg, photo 1(3).jpg, photo 1(5).jpg, photo 2(5).jpg, photo 2(6).jpg, photo 3(2).jpg, photo 3(5).jpg, photo 4(4).jpg, photo 4(1).jpg, photo 1(6).jpg, photo 3(3).jpg
    Last edited by pilsburythrowboy12; 06-15-2014 at 20:19.

Senior Member pilsburythrowboy12's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB mamba, HG Incub
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR, Dream Hammock TB
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Good ole Dutch
    Was a pleasure seeing everyone I had met before, and meeting all the new faces as well. Was a great time and look forward to seeing everyone again at the next hang.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just what the doctor ordered. My back was killing me most of the weekend but seeing old friends and making new ones was quite therapeutic. The food and drink was great. Swamp-clearing, day hikes and night hikes all made for some great memories!

Things I learned:

1.pilsburythrowboy12 needs to take a water safety course. He'll probably need to take it a second time 'cause he'll flunk it the first time.
    2. Lauremedius needs to embrace nylon and polyester. Cotton kills.
    3. Using your GPS to get to Batona Camp could result in getting towed out of a lake. Just ask JShep420's friends.
    4. Cops are people too.
    5. Peggy REALLY wants me.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 06-15-2014 at 23:36.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast