Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top quilt

Top quilt

I also need help deciding on a top quilt. I live in New York and most of my camping will be in that area. Being new to hammock camping and now looking for a top quilt I'm unsure of which top quilt to get. The jacks r better Sierra sniveler or the burrow 20 is what seems to be popping up the most. I'm small at 5'6". I'm really just unsure because I am afraid they may be too warm. The burrow is 20 and the jacks r better I believe is 25 to 30. I really don't want to buy a summer one and one warmer. What are the best options here? I would also like to camp in September, I love the fall and probably my favorite time to camp. Also being new and not being the richest guy, I don't even think I would be sure when to pack the summer or the warmer one with chilly nights and unpredictable weather. So opinions please. I also looked at the kick *** quilts and am not sure between synthetic and down. I feel the more options, the overwhelmed I get. The burrow you can add more fill. So I am better off going with the burrow 20 and can I cool down by opening the end if need be? Any input to steer me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I also see I can save 15 dollars by going down to a 69". Being 5'6" that's 66". How much more room do I need? Would this be too small?
    Last edited by Vwpimpin; 06-15-2014 at 20:52. Reason: Extra question

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Welcome. NY here also. I went with a custom 30* TQ and UG from Adam at Hammock Gear. Very easy to order special from him and it meets all of my 3 season needs. Good luck!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    I also live in NY and camp a fair amount during Spring, Summer and Fall. I would get a 20* TQ, it is what I use for the spring and fall.

I have a 20* flight jacket from underground quilts and it is rally nice quilt. I would also give a good look at Mid-Atlantic mountain works, he makes some geat gear and real easy to work with. He will answer all your questions and set up nice. I have his 50* wright and it is like a downy cloud. Mid-Atlantic also has different lengths.

I think you are best off with a 20* top quilt. I would go with either of the two vendors I just l mentioned, particularly Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works. Here is the link to their site: http://www.mid-atlanticmountainworks...op_Quilts.html. Jared makes really nice stuff, as does Underground Quilts.
    If you want my two cents on HG, pm me, because the thread will go off topic wright quick (sorry for the bad pun).
    Discretion is the better of valor

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    My experience with top stuff is that length is more important than thickness. I'm s 6'1'', so I go for what's good for 6'6". The extra seems to fluff up, and a 40d tp will work to 30d. UQ I don't short on....cinch it up, and 40d is good to 40d, for me.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    We have been recommending the 20*F Flight Jacket as the best all around top quilt for 3S. It will actually work well for mild winter temps with the proper under quilt and layering in the hammock. With our recently addition of 30*F Flight Jackets to our offerings this may be the better 3S option. I personally have used the 30*F Flight Jacket to 34*F and have been toasty warm. Most 3S camping will not see temps that cold 95% of the time. For those few occasions where it does dip down the 30*F or upper 20's then adding a layer or two of clothing will buffer the bottom end. Proper bottom insulation will be important in overall system performance.

You can learn more about of 30*F Flight Jacket HERE, you'll also find information regarding our other quilts, tarp, two down options, and our IDFL tested illume15 fabrics.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    A 20° top quilt is overkill for 3 seasons IMO. And way overkill for summertime. I use a 40° Burrow w/1oz of overfill for 3 seasons. I had a couple of mid-30s nights last fall and I was plenty warm. I'm sure I could go down to 30° with no issues. Whichever way you go, get the footbox with snaps not sewn so you have the option of opening it up during the steamier nights.

Also, if it turns out you made the wrong choice, Hammock Gear quilts are generally fast sellers in the For Sale section here on HF.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG, TQ &amp; UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie
    One thing to keep in mind is that a quilt is really easy to vent if you start getting to warm.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    Hey VW,

First on length, whomever you choose, I would go with an option in the 72" range. I am 5'7" and it is a good fit. 69" is doable, but feels short. On temp, a lot depends on you personally and how you sleep (warm, cold or "normal"). Top quilts are great since they are easy to vent so having something that cautions on the warm side isn't the worse case scenario as billyjack points out above. Your UQ is really important in this whole equation as well. I grew up in upstate NY and spent a lot of time in the Adirondack's. Personally, I wouldn't go backpacking in early spring and fall there without a 20 in most instances. The temps can vary just too significantly. If you think you are going to go later spring, summer and early fall mostly or in and around where you live where temps are marginally more mild and less volatile instead of the catskills/daks then you can probably step up to the next warmer quilt. Adding some overstuff will enable you to push this a little further as well. Hope it helps!
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by sr1355 View Post
    We have been recommending the 20*F Flight Jacket as the best all around top quilt for 3S. It will actually work well for mild winter temps with the proper under quilt and layering in the hammock. With our recently addition of 30*F Flight Jackets to our offerings this may be the better 3S option. I personally have used the 30*F Flight Jacket to 34*F and have been toasty warm. Most 3S camping will not see temps that cold 95% of the time. For those few occasions where it does dip down the 30*F or upper 20's then adding a layer or two of clothing will buffer the bottom end. Proper bottom insulation will be important in overall system performance.

You can learn more about of 30*F Flight Jacket HERE, you'll also find information regarding our other quilts, tarp, two down options, and our IDFL tested illume15 fabrics.
    Who would have thought it would be such a hard decision. It definitely seems preference and I'm not even sure as I've never even really paid much attention to the temperatures when I've called.
    Seems like maybe 30 is the best get and can get warmer if I need to. Your sight had a lot of other choices suck as taper and full taper. So that's another question all together? Two different materials 700 and 850.

So really two top auts is prob the best option. I guess I'll just focus on the trip I have coming up in July. I plan on going in the adirondack region at the end of July. What are the temperatures there at that time and that's the quilt I will get. Like I said at the point I really don't see myself doing any winter camping but will also be going further north in the fall, mid September. I don't want to be too hot for this trip. Should I just get a 50 and a 20?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast