DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tandem Bugnet Solution

Well since my family has started hammocking we always hang in tandem, but with the weather heating up and the bugs trying to eat us whole bug nets are a must in TN. But that add to feeling more confined in your hammock which doesn't bother me but it does my wife. she love the hammocks but hates her bug net. So Friday night I went to the store and got 4 curtains to make one bug net for both hammocks to be in together. About a 2 hours later and 20 bucks then it was time to pack it in the bag for a test run on Saturday. and it was a success. basically it is a oversized bottom entry fronkey style net.

Pic of it resting on the two ridge line of the hammocks open on the bottom and no one in it

With us in it and it closed. When closed it make two pockets around the two hammocks.(and yes I know one hammock is high than the other in the picture)

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    VERY NICE! Now this is giving me an idea for the next two-hammock camp hang with the GF......as bug season is coming up in the PNW already...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ + Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutchware Cinches
    Images
    This is very cool. I will have to make these once I get my wife on board to try hanging.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In my experience with my wife it is easier to get her camping if I am within arms reach at night. Lol

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Oh yeah I'm loving that. I'll run it past the misses as she's wanting a hammock sock to feel safe and secure: in summer ! This might just be a winner for her.

Thanks Mr Killa

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Very nice. I like it.

Forgive me, please, as it's not about the bug net but rather your spreader bars for the double hang. For a while now, I've been contemplating your picture here, along with the thoughts in that thread overall, and have been wondering how it was working out for you. Seeing the above pictures with your bug net, it seems it's still working well(?). Or well enough.

Would you care to comment about the obstacles, issues--what you've learned along the way--with this setup? How much you bump into each other when moving, or entering/exiting hammock, if you have to sleep head-to-foot, etc. My wife and I both are on the shorter side so I don't see that being an issue in any way. I have about 45-50 pounds on her, though, (she's 5'1" and about 100lbs) so I wonder about the see-saw action or overall imbalance.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronMB View Post
    Very nice. I like it.

Forgive me, please, as it's not about the bug net but rather your spreader bars for the double hang. For a while now, I've been contemplating your picture here, along with the thoughts in that thread overall, and have been wondering how it was working out for you. Seeing the above pictures with your bug net, it seems it's still working well(?). Or well enough.

Would you care to comment about the obstacles, issues--what you've learned along the way--with this setup? How much you bump into each other when moving, or entering/exiting hammock, if you have to sleep head-to-foot, etc. My wife and I both are on the shorter side so I don't see that being an issue in any way. I have about 45-50 pounds on her, though, (she's 5'1" and about 100lbs) so I wonder about the see-saw action or overall imbalance.

Thanks!
    No problem man, but to answer your questions yes there is a see-saw action to the operation. But only on entry and exit, as for hanging you don't notice any vertical movement in it due to the fact while moving your weight in the setup is the same the whole time. I am 60-70 pounds heavier than my wife and if I hang both hammocks even then get in them then I will sit about 5 inches lower than her, to help prevent this from happening I tighten my whoopies to hang my hammock 4-5 inches higher than hers so that when we are in it we lay side by side. now laying side by side isn't going to be for everyone if we both lay on our backs in the center of our hammocks we don't touch one another but if she lays on her side facing me then I do feel pressure from her knees in my thy. but it doesn't both me nor her since even when we sleep a bed are always touching either knees, or legs are tangled, or i am half way on her , or she is half way on me... so we are used to it and moving doesn't bother use since how we normally sleep. Now since the whole spreader bar does see-saw that is why I put my bars on my tree hungers and not at the head and feet of the hammock like 99% of the other setups you will see, my reason is when my wife gets in her hammock it will tilt the bars up and into the tarp then when I get in it levels out and after time I am afraid I will tear my tarp. and I feel the whole operation of the see-saw effect is a little more stable by having them on the tree hungers.

oh and if you like to lay at an angle in your hammock you can still do so you just have to both lay the in your hammocks at the same angle.

I am about to try lighting my setup and try S hooks and trekking poles as my next step in the evolution of the tandem hang. but so far this has been a success. my kids that are 10 and 8 hang this way too and they love it since being little and in the woods can be scary on little minds so to have their bro next to them helps with that a lot with the whole night terrors of camping.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention that on tandem hanging. You can gently get out of the hammock and slowly lower your wife down and not wake her up. As for me if my wife gets up in the middle of the night she is going to wake me up no matter what. Which is a small price to pay to have her out there with me.

Central California's Gateway to the Sierras
    Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Greylok4; GoLite20
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Straps
    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by TN Cereal Killa View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot to mention that on tandem hanging. You can gently get out of the hammock and slowly lower your wife down and not wake her up. As for me if my wife gets up in the middle of the night she is going to wake me up no matter what. Which is a small price to pay to have her out there with me.
    Thanks for this additional info, too. I can totally pictures this! And yes-indeed: totally worth it if it gets her out there.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    Synthetic bag/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you have an other questions just ask. And I will try my best to answer them.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast