WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web

Question A loaded question about tarps?

Hi it's me again, I would like to thank every one who has posted on recent threads to answer my newb questions. I have noticed from reading other threads that when people ask questions "what would be the best...?" it really lights a powder keg of good info, and friendly disagrement. So here goes a fuse;
    What would be the best tarp for summer camping? The perameters;
    1. must be as light as possible (of course).
    2. must be as durable as possible (of course).
    3. (now the kicker) Because I've already spent too much already on stuff* It needs to be as cost effective as possible.

* I first bought a Skeeter Beater Pro. I liked it for sleeping in but it's hard to get out of and it has ripped twice. But it told me some stuff I needed to know like, I can comfortalby sleep in a hammock, I don't like chasing a thermarest around my hammock all night long and I need a stronger hammock. So I ordered a WBBB and a JRB UQ (hence, now I needed to count my pennies).

The tarp I need now would be for warm summer time trips were I could stand to get a little damp with no great concern so I'm willing to trade more coverage for less weight. I'm planning on buying a larger tarp later on for colder weather camping anyways. Would this be a good tarp for now? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=550935

I'm not sure if this thread should be here or in the gear section so forgive me. After all I'm a junior member
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    I think campmor has kelty noah 10 x 10 for around 50 bucks. But , there is always the walmart blue tarp. 8 x 10 gives me plenty of coverage, and costs about 10 bucks. as far as the sportsmanguide tarp, I think neo uses one.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    7 x 9 is kind of small, but it will work. Nice camo for stealthing it. CAUTION> Grommets fail. Add webbing loops as soon as possible... grommets seem to fail at 3:o, during the storm..Re-inforce tarp fabric at tie out points. Pitch it close to your hammock for a better seal if your expecting rain, and if its wind driven rain wrap your poncho around you, or rig poncho to guy lines. The poncho trick should cover any thing that might get wet. Again, nice camo. I LOVE CAMO.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 07-11-2009 at 04:30.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    'm willing to trade more coverage for less weight. [...snip...] Would this be a good tarp for now? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=550935
    At 1 pound 5 ounces for a 7X9 foot tarp I would say you are making an extremely bad trade. Chack around the forums and see if someone has an HH Stock tarp they want to unload. You may get it cheaper but it will certainly be lighter. IMO if you are looking for the best cost effectiveness you would be better off springing the cash for a larger tarp now that comes in under the weight of that beastie. Unfortunately the equation can be rendered lighter weight = more money. How you balance that out is of course up to you. But if weight is your primary concern ... I think that's too heavy of the coverage it supplies.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Ask around for a used JRB 8x8......should go for $50-70..... Great coverage.... 9 oz.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Check these out http://www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet...helter%3ATarps. A little on the heavier side, but not too bad. Webbibg instead of grommets. Price is reasonable.
    I'm so out of shape ......I passed gas yesterday and pulled a muscle!

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ramblinrev hit it on the head with a used HH hex tarp. Light, enough coverage (for some), will weather a storm, and cheap. I think I sold mine for $30. Can't go wrong at that price.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Ramblinrev hit it on the head with a used HH hex tarp. Light, enough coverage (for some), will weather a storm, and cheap. I think I sold mine for $30. Can't go wrong at that price.
    Hex or stock? For weight savings I would go with the stock plus that's what lots of HH folks want to get rid of...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    How about a Diamond Rain Fly from Claytor? 1.2 lbs, CAMO, and $50 shipped
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    If anyone comes by a JRB 8x8, let me know. I'm using the HH Hex right now but would like a nice "summer" tarp to use for warmer weather.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast