DIY Argon 1.6 Woodland Camo
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps

Charon's Wilderness - Wichita Mountains

Went on my first solo hammock trip. It was hot and trees were sparse but it turned out great!

Here are a few write-ups on the area if you're not familiar with it:

http://www.backpacker.com/may_1999_o...stinations/547
    http://www.wilderness.net/NWPS/wildView?WID=650
    http://www.summitpost.org/charon-s-g...derness/274583

It started here on HF... I came across a post where the OP mentioned the difficulty in getting a back country camping pass (they only allow 10 people in at a time, three day permits) so figured I'd call and get on the list for later in the year. When I called, it turned out there were 3 available so I grabbed 2, one for me and the other for a buddy of mine. He ended up having to work on Saturday so couldn't make it but I didn't let that stop me!

I drove down on Friday afternoon and arrived around 4. The hike into the back country area is only a couple of miles but it's a pretty cool hike. Once back there, I started looking for a place to hang my hammock. The trees are pretty sparse and not ideal for hanging a hammock but with a little looking around I was able to find a spot on top of a hill surrounded by a few of the key peaks. I got all setup just in time to watch the sun set over the top of Sunset Peak.

The place is in a wildlife refuge with 500-600 Bison and some number of Texas Longhorns and numerous Elk and Deer. I had noticed Bison patties all around where I was setting up so figured I might have visitors show up in the night but other than a few snorts not to far in the distance and a pretty strong (close) Coyote serenade around midnight, I didn't see any animals to speak of up there.

I settled into my hammock (HH Expedition Zip) and started reading a book I ordered Wednesday. It showed up about 30 minutes before I left!

The book was perfect! : http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Mikes-Re.../dp/1560449128

Around 10, the full, "Honey Moon" popped up over a peak to the East. It was huge and really did have a honey color to it. Trippy!

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...science-space/

The next morning I setup on a rock outcropping looking out over the back country area to have coffee and a cheap convenience store cherry pie!

I then packed up and went for a hike.

I made my way out of the back country and took the Charon's Garden Trail to the South. A mile or so in I came to the Valley of Boulders. I saw a group of 3 guys who obviously were a little confused about the direction the trail was going but I followed them anyway and ended up on the wrong side of the boulders. Rather than go back around, I made my way down through the boulders and got back on the trail. At some point it loops back around and you can take a 'left' and head up through a valley following a small creek to go back out to the back country camping area.

I stopped half way up the mountain and had lunch creek side under the shade of some trees. It was getting to be around 94° F at that point so the shade/water/break was perfect.

After the lunch break I went on up the mountain. As I was getting closer to the back country camping area I started looking for a place to hang for the night. I came into a really cool little spot as I came up out of the creek and saw a couple of trees that would be perfect. I hooked it in that direction and just as I got close I realized there was a huge Bison bull lounging right between my trees!

So... I just went on up the mountain and let him have it.

I went on up and found a place to hang for the night, had dinner, read for a bit and crashed. Then hiked out and came home after breakfast.

It was a hot and spur of the moment trip but it felt great to get out!

DSC_5605.jpg DSC_5621.jpg DSC_5630.jpg DSC_5644.jpg DSC_5646.jpg DSC_5663.jpg DSC_5693.jpg DSC_5723.jpg DSC_5731.jpg DSC_5735.jpg DSC_5739.jpg DSC_5758.jpg DSC_5768.jpg DSC_5601.jpg DSC_5609.jpg
    Last edited by bc2020; 06-16-2014 at 19:22. Reason: fixed typos!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Absolutely my favorite place on the planet. I made that post back in Dec and had to cancel due to no cold weather gear for the Grandkids. Gonna try later in the year. Thanks for the post.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Absolutely my favorite place on the planet. I made that post back in Dec and had to cancel due to no cold weather gear for the Grandkids. Gonna try later in the year. Thanks for the post.
    Yes, it was you. I was going to go back and find that post after I got these pics uploaded. Thanks man, you really inspired me to go. Greatly appreciated!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 30/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Buckles 'n' Straps
    Last edited by bc2020; 06-16-2014 at 19:16.

• + New Posts