DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Hobby Lobby insulation, any good?

the Hobby Lobby shop just opened in my area, I went there today to browse their offerings..... I decided to look at what they have for insulation/batting... I noticed several different brands and types compared to JoAnns........they're ALL Polyester however, so I am not sure if I want more synthetics lol.
    Have anyone used stuff like this for their top quilts/under quilts?

one option I'm looking at; 16 oz, and looks interesting....
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...uffing-210096/

another, perhaps too heavy?
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...atting-234773/

and Hobbs Poly-Down (interesting!)
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...atting-185207/

the other place, The Rainshed, sells PrimaLoft Silver (Formerly Sports) insulation as well.....

I did see a Queen size down comforter for $65 at a thrift store, but the fill power says 650, and it had 32oz I think of fill....I'm not sure that its of benefit to me at that price

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

cut queen quilt add shock cord?

If you are reasonably good with a thread injector you might be able to make two UQ or TQ as well with minimal modification to the queen down quilt.
    Synthetic insulation from fabric store is cheap, dries faster but is bulky.
    There are many good DIY ideas in HF sticky thread DIY forums.
    Have fun and be creative. If others don't give you more specific suggestions I'll try to come back and link you to some.
    Personally I think a $65 down Queen quilt in good condition is a good find.

Hammock
    diy asym
    Insulation
    bag and a pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've been considering finding a down comforter and making my own top or under quilt. Or more accurately using the fill from a comforter. I'd say go for it if you have the funds and the inclination... but I'm just getting started. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    the Hobby Lobby shop just opened in my area, I went there today to browse their offerings..... I decided to look at what they have for insulation/batting... I noticed several different brands and types compared to JoAnns........they're ALL Polyester however, so I am not sure if I want more synthetics lol.
    Have anyone used stuff like this for their top quilts/under quilts?

one option I'm looking at; 16 oz, and looks interesting....
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...uffing-210096/

This is not sheets of batting, it's meant for stuffing dolls and such.

another, perhaps too heavy?
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...atting-234773/

At least this one is meant for quilts as opposed to pillows

and Hobbs Poly-Down (interesting!)
    http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/...atting-185207/

Another one that is sheets of batting

the other place, The Rainshed, sells PrimaLoft Silver (Formerly Sports) insulation as well.....

I did see a Queen size down comforter for $65 at a thrift store, but the fill power says 650, and it had 32oz I think of fill....I'm not sure that its of benefit to me at that price
    A couple of problems with the 2nd and 3rd items - both are short fibre material meaning that they both have to be quilted one way or another. That means at the very least tying quilt knots every 4 to 6" throughout the quilt, better method is to actually quilt the batting in place by either machine or hand.

Neither of them has an R-value rating assigned either so there's no way of really knowing how much warmth either will provide. If you think of one of grandmas' quilts on your bed, it's likely that it's good for no more than inside use in a heated room.

Climashield comes with an R value so you can figure out how many layers of which grade you need to get to the temp rating you want. It also is a long strand fiber so that it doesn't need to be quilted. One sews around the outside edge to anchor it in place and there's no spots that are sewn through except if you top-stitch around the outside perimeter of the quilt.

Yes, the quilt batting is much less expensive but it's another one of the cases of 'ya get what ya pay for'.

As to the down comforter, easiest way to figure out if it's a deal is to calculate how much down you'd need to fill the TQ or UQ that you want to make to get to the temp rating you want and then cost it out. It's probably safe to assume that you won't get 100% reclaim rate on the thrift store find so figure on maybe 80%??. Is that going to be enough down or would you be better off buying new down (that doesn't have to be reclaimed with the work involved in that project).

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I didn't buy the down comforter; because of its relatively low fill power of 650, and because in my opinion, $65 for such is a little high when it's used and possibly doesn't have 90% of the down in there; and I kind of figured not good on the Hobby Lobby stuff.......
    there's no local source for Climashield insulation, but Primaloft seems to be a popular insulation, though the local store's website doesn't list the R value at all for any of their sizes......

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    I didn't buy the down comforter; because of its relatively low fill power of 650, and because in my opinion, $65 for such is a little high when it's used and possibly doesn't have 90% of the down in there; and I kind of figured not good on the Hobby Lobby stuff.......
    there's no local source for Climashield insulation, but Primaloft seems to be a popular insulation, though the local store's website doesn't list the R value at all for any of their sizes......
    The reason you can find Primaloft locally is because it's used in making winter outerwear by those people who sew.

Primalofts' website shows 7 different types of Primaloft. Each of them shows the clo value in the video. The problem with sourcing locally is making sure that you get the right Primaloft for the job. The 'Sports' material doesn't specifically say that it's continuous filament and is shown to be used in sportswear and hats, which means that it's used in small area configurations not in large areas like our TQs. The only choice with that one would be to quilt it. The 'Infinity' product specifies that it's continuous filament which won't need quilting but it's clo value is only about 70% of the 'Sports' product. You'd need a thicker layer to keep you as warm and then it's not going to compress as well.

As distasteful as it seems to be to you, you really are probably better off buying a known R value product (Climashield) that is meant to be used in the manner that you want to use it. It's got good compression, doesn't need quilting and you can figure out how many layers you want to get to the temperature rating you want.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    The reason you can find Primaloft locally is because it's used in making winter outerwear by those people who sew.

Primalofts' website shows 7 different types of Primaloft. Each of them shows the clo value in the video. The problem with sourcing locally is making sure that you get the right Primaloft for the job. The 'Sports' material doesn't specifically say that it's continuous filament and is shown to be used in sportswear and hats, which means that it's used in small area configurations not in large areas like our TQs. The only choice with that one would be to quilt it. The 'Infinity' product specifies that it's continuous filament which won't need quilting but it's clo value is only about 70% of the 'Sports' product. You'd need a thicker layer to keep you as warm and then it's not going to compress as well.

As distasteful as it seems to be to you, you really are probably better off buying a known R value product (Climashield) that is meant to be used in the manner that you want to use it. It's got good compression, doesn't need quilting and you can figure out how many layers you want to get to the temperature rating you want.
    according to the US Primaloft site, the Sport lists Hats, Jackets/Apparels, sleeping bags and Military Applications to the uses of Sports; and a 0.79 CLO/Sq Yd rating; and according to Thru-Hiker's exhaustive thread post by AYCE on Thru-Hiker, seems .79CLO/Sq YD is pretty close to Climashield......only .03 less than Climashield Apex. For a summer quilt, the local place sells Primaloft Sport in 1.8oz/sq yard/60g/M^2, for $6 a yard, 1.0cm/0.4" tall , 3.0oz/100g/m^2 at $8 a yard, 1.5cm/0.6" tall, 4.0z/133g/m^2 at $10.75 a yard, 2.0cm/0.8" tall, and lastly, 5.0 oz/200g/M^2, 2cm/1.2" tall, $14.00 a yard...... I am not sure which one would be good for a partial underquilt, say 60" wide, 48" long.....summer quilt.

the other option is an Open Cell foam pad based on THIS member's idea; basically he made a pad that has a cover, and is suspended underneath the hammock, much like an underquilt, but utilizing OCF instead, similar in concept to the one used in HH's SS system...I can't find the posts that he made, but he says he used it for winter....
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...imageuser=6931

• + New Posts