Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies

Question Looking for the right hammock and need some pre sales support. :)

Having trouble reaching BIAS via email/phone so I thought I'd reach out here in case it was my wayward spam filter...and also to tap the hive mind.

I'm 6 feet tall and 235 pounds or so, and I'm interested in lightening my pack.

My primarily ENO system works fine for car camping, but I want to do more backpacking, and I want to do it considerably lighter than that. I've been looking at the BIAS site for a few weeks now, and am thinking of going with a double layer WWM or WW, or a single layer Hiker Lite.

First off, will this work at my personal weight, or will my kiester likely break through this fabric hit the ground at 3 am? Is the additional supporting power of a double layer impacted by the addition (or lack thereof) of a pad? In summer I want it cool, and in winter, and I have an UQ, so I'd only use the pad in slightly cool months or very cold months (combined with the UQ).

Secondly, I never heard of calendared fabric before (for the WW), so naturally I Googled it. When I go to the Font of All Wisdom...Wikipedia...it says that calendaring is a process that does not hold up well. What does calendaring do for the fabric in the WW, and do I care if it stops doing whatever it does?

Thirdly, if I don't do double layers (with a heftier fabric) and I go with a buginator, am I likely to get my keister bitten through the hammock (and clothing I wear to bed).

Fourthly, can anyone tell me if Permethrin will react badly with any of the BIAS fabrics? Just got back from a hang in a salt marsh, and made the mistake of getting my arm up against the bugnet in the middle of the night...so I have skeeters on the brain.

Lastly, can anyone tell me the approximate weight of the 10 foot strap / whoopie sling / toggle suspension kit? I'd have sworn I saw a value on the site but now can't find it.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hammock
    BIAS camper, WW DL
    Insulation
    Diy syn. UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Feel free to give me a call any evening. I do work in the court system during the day, but if you'll leave me a voice message I will return your call. a double layer in either WW or WWM would do you fine. As far as skeeters go, I've never had a problem when using double layers. I also have used Permethrin on several of my personal hammocks and have never had anyone tell of any issues with them. I just went and weighed a suspenson kit (100 inch) with whoopie hooks at 5.76 oz.

My number is (901) 568-2314

Shane
    It'll be alright Friday!

Check us out at www.buttinasling.com

[email protected]

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm 5'11" and 160 lbs. I started out with a Weight Weenie Micro DL and it's a very comfortable hammock. I tried the single WWM and I'm just too rough on my hammocks for a 1.1 oz. fabruc to be viable for me. I also have a Hiker Lite and very much like the polyester fabric. I just wish it came in 60" width, but it's my go-to hiking hammock at 9.5 oz.

I have a Buginator and Nano-Buginator which I spray with permethrin. I've never sprayed my hammocks because no bugs ever get into the bugnet. I have never slept with a pad in a BIAS hammock; I just bought the WWM DL so I could loan it to someone without an UQ. When I did use pads before I got an UQ, I found pads to be much more annoying in summer than winter - condensation and sweat pooling are guaranteed for me in any weather but especially annoying in summer.

I much prefer an UQ in all weather. I've used my HG 20* Phoenix anywhere from three degrees to 75 degrees and never got overheated. Just move the UQ out of the way if you need to vent. I've never actually done it; I usually kick off my TQ if I need to vent.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I love my single 1.1 bias wmm. It has been my go to hammock since I received sometime this winter...alas I have not been able to get out as much as I would have liked, vied used it enough to say it is an excellent hammock. I have it with the double sided knotty mod and adjustable ridge line. I think a double layer wil make you very happy...I recommend the knotty mod! I really enjoy the adjustable ridge line because I like to tinker and mess around with lays to find the sweet spot.

Calandered, as far as I know, helps the fabric be more down proof. When I was doing my DIY top quilt I was told to look for calandered. I'm sure seasoned veterans can chime in.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I am about your size (6'3" 225#). My favorite hammock is a BIAS WWM 1.0 DL 11' x 60".
    I have tried to replace it many times. I have purchased 5 new hammocks since my BIAS, but I always come back to it. I have tried longer and wider hammocks, bridge hammocks, single layer with heavier material, double layer with 1.1, but none are as comfortable for me.

I have also discovered that I don't like an integrated bug net, but have yet to try a non-integrated. My current solution is to treat the hammock with permethrin and hang a thermacell from the ridgeline.

I have one hammock that is calendered and I don't like the feel as much as the pure finish on my BIAS.

I got the knotty mod on mine, but don't use it.

Here are some pics with my full length SLD underquilt attached.

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    ...I forgot to add that even though my DL WWM has pad openings, I would never use a pad as long as I have an underquilt available. There is no comparison in comfort for me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Sorry for the delay in getting back, but I've been on the road a lot lately and not near the computer.

Thanks, everyone for all the good info, and thanks, Shane, for chatting with me on the phone! I think I've come up with a plan, and the order will be going in soon.

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Shane is a great guy to talk to. He answered all my questions. Sounds like they are keeping busy. My order will also be going in soon too!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly or Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    The hammock arrived yesterday, and spent much of today lounging in it. Definitely a winner!

• + New Posts