Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

First Two Nights in My UGQs

Wow, the first two nights in my Clark NX-250 with my new 20° full Zepplin uq and 40° Flight Jacket tq were blissfully cozy, comfy, and restful. The Zep went on super-easy and formed an instant tight seal underneath the hammock when I routed the ends underneath the head and foot hoops. As soon as I laid in the hammock I was totally snuggled in warmth by the Zep that came up several inches above my shoulders to the Clark's Weathershield/bugnet zipper. Temp only got down to mid 40s so I slept in my lightweight silk night shirt and shorts with the Clark's integrated Weathershield open half way and the tq only pulled up to mid chest. Not having a pad slipping around under my feet (though a ENO Hot Wings SPE had helped under the torso) and the lack of constriction by a sleeping bag was all I hoped it would be. Oh, and I stowed all my clothes in the storage pockets underneath the hammock (but above the uq) and they were warm as toast in the morning chill when I slipped them on; Priceless.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 06-20-2014 at 12:59.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    You slept on your clothes instead of the UQ? The down does still insulate when its "around" you, but its not the same as when you're on it. Stripping clothing down - no matter the temps - and having your skin next to the down is the most efficient way to use the UQ.

Its a great setup you have, just want to make sure you get the most out of it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The Clark NX-250 has 6 big overlapping pockets with Velcro closues underneath the hammock for gear storage and to hold their "Z-Liner" insulation. The UQ fastens to the hammock over the pockets so anything in the pockets is below the hammock, but above the underquilt. I stowed my clothes in the pockets and slept in (luxurious) lightweight silk boxers and baselayer shirt I only use to sleep in. I am laying on the hammock rather than the clothes beneath the hamock. The stowed clothing and gear provides additional insulation beneath me without having their bulk between the hammock and I and I can reach into all of the pockets to get whatever I need while lying in the hammock. It's soooo nice.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 06-20-2014 at 13:01.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

• + New Posts