Hammock
    Clark NA & Hennessy UL Backpacker
    Insulation
    JRB Old Rag Mtn
    Images

The Travel Hammock (Ultralight)

Someone started a thread on WB (which is having that database error again right now, so I'll post this here) about these $20 hammocks. I remember seeing them at Campmor & wondering about them, so I ordered one out of curiosity. Just got it today & man, for someone who may be interested in getting their first hammock, this one might be a great starter hammock, assuming they don't want to make their own Speer type.

It's right along the lines of an Eagles Nest Single Nest, with the built in stuff sack. Unlike the ENO hammocks, it's not made of that silky material, but more of a Hennessy type fabric. Instead of the ENO biners, it comes with stainless steel S-hooks and even comes with a good length of maybe 4mm stiff nylon or poly rope.

As soon as I got it out of the box I removed the S-hooks from the ENO style black cord that runs through the end hems of the hammock. This I think cut more than half the weight off the hammock. It's now lighter than my ENO Single Nest by maybe a third, which also has its biners removed. Instead of using those unnecessary clips & S-rings, I just tie permanent bowlines in one end of my main lines & loop the lines through themselves at the black end cords of the hammocks. The only webbing I ever use is the Hennessy stuff that I share between hammocks.

I took it out in the backyard & hung it between the two furthest apart trees possible to stretch the lines as thoroughly as possible. Now the lines are about identical in thickness and feel of HH UL Explorer line. As far as the hammock goes, it's not bad at all. It's just a simple basic hammock that can probably be outfitted as well as any other component style hammock. It seems roomier than a Single Nest. In fact, while I had the end lines removed getting the S-hooks off, I spread it out & measured it at about 53" wide. And, duh, I see here it was written on the box: 9'6" x 4'6". May as well add that the box also says it's 10 oz & has a 250 lb capacity. The hammock was a little loose at the edges & tight in the middle, but no worse than an ENO I don't think. I did find a sweet spot on the diagonal that was as good as any. Now, I've only had mine for about 37 minutes so who knows about its durability. I figure the end hems could be the weak spot, but if they start to go, tie a Speer knot & whip it....

At $20 plus shipping, it seems to me to be a good option for a first hammock, a gear hammock or backyard lounger. Or, like a friend of mine once said (referring to one of those old net hammocks that ball up to the size of your fist), "I'm putting mine in my glove compartment in case I break down."

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a Hennessy ULB and I purchased one of the $20 Travel Hammocks to use during non-bug season to cut my pack weight. I have used it several times this late winter, early spring. For $20 it can't be beat. It is very comfortable and it is 1lb 5 oz lighter than my Hennessy. I'm thinking about rigging some light weight reomvable netting for summer usage. I also replaced the "S" hooks and rope with webbing and added a structural ridgeline.

Images
    i like the travel hammocks for winter campouts( have a sleeping bag that will fit over it like a pea pod)...i also have a travel hammock i keep in my jeep for those sudden naps that spring up during fishing /outdoor stuff..i have also thought of rigging a ridgeline for a light weight bug net for summer time...but to be honest i think of it as a fair weather hammock..where rain is a slim chance...for rainy days and the stormy days i will stick with my HH

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Black Cat
    Insulation
    Exped 7
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    I basically got the same type hammock off ebay coming out of Indonesia or somewhere like that. I have replaced the ropes with straps and descending rings. Made my own Blackcat tarp (except mine is smoke grey) based on BlackBishop's website and am making an underquilt from a Sportsman's Guide rectangular bag (prototype - since they're inexpensive) and making some ray-way quilts as top quilts.

I like the hammock because of the fabric. It's not slick like the nylons and is black which I really like. I can pull the fabric up over my face and block out the light (helps me sleep better). I've also added some velcro further down so that I can close it up like a pea pod and this helps some in the cold temps.
    I've been down to 23F in my set up so far.

I got it because it was inexpensive and was my starter, but I've kept it because it meets my needs. I've tried the HH's but I still like mine better. If I don't hang it too tight, I can get pretty much on the diagonal but I sleep fine on my back so that's not too big a problem.

• + New Posts