Got my order, WOW! A few questions on the Edge tarp.

I got my new BB XLC and edge tarp. I'm blown away by the craftsmanship. I've done a few DIY hammocks and don't know if I could ever match the quality of what I got in the mail. For $80 it is a great tarp. Wish I had it years ago.

I did have a few questions on the edge tarp though. The triangles on the corners seem really heavy duty but the split rings on the ridge seem less so. I would have thought that the ridge line would be where the most stress was so I'm a little surprised. This weekend I'll try to add some 2.2 lash it for the ridge line and some zing it for the corners (I think I like the 2.2 better just because it is a little easier to work with even though the 1.7 should be fine for the corners). Anyway, do the rings hold up? Why the stronger connection on the corners. Finally there seem to be two connection points for the ridge-- one right on the edge and one underneath about 2 inches back. I dont remember seeing how to use that second connection on the warbonnet video. Thanks.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbritely View Post
    I got my new BB XLC and edge tarp. I'm blown away by the craftsmanship. I've done a few DIY hammocks and don't know if I could ever match the quality of what I got in the mail. For $80 it is a great tarp. Wish I had it years ago.

I did have a few questions on the edge tarp though. The triangles on the corners seem really heavy duty but the split rings on the ridge seem less so. I would have thought that the ridge line would be where the most stress was so I'm a little surprised. This weekend I'll try to add some 2.2 lash it for the ridge line and some zing it for the corners (I think I like the 2.2 better just because it is a little easier to work with even though the 1.7 should be fine for the corners). Anyway, do the rings hold up? Why the stronger connection on the corners. Finally there seem to be two connection points for the ridge-- one right on the edge and one underneath about 2 inches back. I dont remember seeing how to use that second connection on the warbonnet video. Thanks.
    Though I'm not sure what his official reasoning is behind using the metal split rings on the ridge line and the plastic triangles on the tie out points, my guess would be that at the corners, if the tarp is put under stress by wind or something, the stake will likely pull out before the tarp rips. But at the ridge line that's not an option - so perhaps the thought is that the split rings might pull out before the tarp rips.

Regardless you don't need to worry. Both my edge and my superfly have the same setup, and I've cranked the ridge line ridiculously tight and never saw any signs that the little split rings were in any distress. And to be honest, the plastic attachments at the tie outs are convenient for hooking a thumb into to get some purchase when you're tightening down the tie outs.

As for the secondary rings, there should be one right inside each ridge tie out spot, and another at each corner tie out. These are attachment points for the optional door kits WB sells. They come with mitten clips that attach to those two inner rings, and shock cord that stretches to the opposite ridge line. You can see it in action in this video from the WB site:

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    How long did it take from the date you ordered them???

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    No need to worry about the split rings. Both my SF tarps show no issues.
    Last edited by Bubba; 06-20-2014 at 12:00.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Ok, Thank you. I was on the tarp video. I would think I would get a superfly instead of the doors but I guess I'll wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by HammockPete View Post
    How long did it take from the date you ordered them???
    It was 3 weeks. I had some trouble placing my order. It turns out is was my fault (or really paypals) not Warbonnets. About once a year paypal seems to decide to freeze my account for one reason or another. I would close my account if there was another alternative that was as widely accepted. I'll keep my fingers crosses for something like bitcoin.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbritely View Post
    Ok, Thank you. I was on the tarp video. I would think I would get a superfly instead of the doors but I guess I'll wait and see.
    I'd get a SF instead of the separate door kit. I just find it more convenient than having the separate doors. I take my smaller tarp in summer and the SF gets used in late Fall/Winter.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, EE Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    I've been thinking about getting an Edge myself, but have been concerned about the coverage since I've never seen one "in the flesh." I'm in an ENO Doublenest and I use a SRL of about 99". Is the BB XLC comparable to that and after setting up, do you have any concerns about RL coverage?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow Dragon
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Woppie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfscott View Post
    I've been thinking about getting an Edge myself, but have been concerned about the coverage since I've never seen one "in the flesh." I'm in an ENO Doublenest and I use a SRL of about 99". Is the BB XLC comparable to that and after setting up, do you have any concerns about RL coverage?
    The XLC is 11' long and the ridge line is like 110". So if it's big enough for a XLC (which I don"t know either way, I have a superfly, and a XLC on the wayish).

• + New Posts