Cross-Canada Bicycle Tour... Suggestions, Input, Advice...

Hi all,

I'm thinking about purchasing a hammock for my cross-Canada bicycle tour next year.

Having tried to sleep in a one-man tent on a (very) small camping expedition to my back garden, and waking up with a stiff back, I decided that my 1999 Walrus MicroSwift one-man tent wasn't for the long haul.

My father has purchased a Hennessey Hammock and he loves it. I have tried it out (indoors, admittedly) and I wasn't sold on it - but after how I slept in my one-man, I'm leaning very heavily towards buying a hammock.

Have any of you cycle-toured with a hammock? Have any of cycle toured across Canada? (Or in parts thereof) with a hammock?

Can you offer any advice, suggestions, or input as to what it's like, ease to pitch, etc...

Many thanks,

Jack.

Yep, done bike touring as well, going to Cape Breton in about 4 weeks to tour the island. I never did get a good sleep in a tent and had a very stiff back in the morning. I first used a Hennessy hammock last summer on an 8 day tour (950 km). No stiff back, rested in the morning even if I didn't sleep well in a hammock I still felt rested and refreshed in the morning. I don't know how it will be on the prairies, trees might be few and far between. It has taken a bit of research to sort out what exactly I needed for my setup. I never plan on sleeping on the ground again (unless I have to).

Stay in touch you can stay an my place on your way through next year.
    Last edited by rofo; 06-20-2014 at 20:22.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird/WB RR
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AE New River MM TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Unless you're carrying an additional tent for going to ground, make sure you get a hammock that can be set up in ground mode also. Just in case...

I have a HH Exped bottom entry and while I guess you could still use it in ground mode, I think it would be a real pain to set up so you could get in and out easily. One more reason I sent it in to 2QZQ for the zipper mod.

My Tree to Tree Trail Gear Switchback can be used in ground mode fairly easy.
    Last edited by Surfdog; 06-20-2014 at 17:53.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    My Hennessy Hammock is what got me back into bike camping/touring. I never did come up with a ground set up that was both comfortable and portable, and I had pretty much decided that the day on the bike wasn't worth the hassle of sleeping on the ground. Then I came across a reference to hammock camping and ended up with my Hennessy. I've been across Ohio with it and parts of NC. No extended trips of more than a week or so, but trips long enough to know that it's how I want to camp from now on.

I've had times where it wasn't easy or possible to find two trees, but I haven't had to sleep on the ground get. Under a pavilion, from the roof of a cabin, with my lines stretched out so far that my butt was scraping the ground, with one end of the hammock over a sawhorse on top of a picnic table, but on on the ground.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym
    Suspension
    Straps
    Without a doubt sleeping in a hammock will be much more comfortable than on the ground. Give it a good overnight tryout. I have rode from Vancouver to Calgary twice, but we did hotels. Gotta love touring by bike, you seem to see so much more that you would miss out on when travelling in a car because your moving to fast. Some of the tunnels through the rockies get a little sketchy because its dark inside them, especially sketchy on the downhills when your going at a good speed.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Yes, I've done a bit of touring with an hammock (see the handle, to the left there).

I highly recommend it anywhere where you have access to public land that has trees on it. An hammock makes it easy to find a campsite, gets you above all but the absolute worst puddles ("If you're getting wet from underneath in an hammock, you have bigger problems than just getting wet."), avoids the majority of the arthropods (less of an issue up north than FL, admittedly), packs down just as small as a t**t and doesn't require any poles (admittedly, there're ground-dwelling structures that meet this criterion as well), and avoids the necessity of a bulky pad for under insulation and comfort.

Anyway, that's my opinion of 'em. In a desert environment, it wouldn't be my shelter of choice. Anywhere where there're woods? Yep.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Quote Originally Posted by Rob3E View Post
    I've had times where it wasn't easy or possible to find two trees, .
    I've been stuck myself too. Here I am between a hydro pole and a fence pole.
    P1020441.JPG

After my Cape Breton bike tour I am reconsidering if a hammock is the best for this. I did not do any wild camping just in campgrounds. In half the locations I had to fuss about to find trees the right distance apart. Closer to the gulf and ocean the trees are smaller and seem to die younger with lots of undergrowth. One night I didn't get much sleep as the wind swirled about and my tarp flapped like a flag all night long. Below were the only 2 trees in this park I could use, all the rest were on a steep embankment and a little out of the official camping area.

P1020894.jpg
    Last edited by rofo; 08-12-2014 at 14:40.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Something to consider is the Handy Hammock stand for your hammock. You can even order one stand and then you only need one tree. That shouldn't be as difficult. Good luck on your trip.
    "No whining in the woods"

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Something to consider is the Handy Hammock stand for your hammock. You can even order one stand and then you only need one tree. That shouldn't be as difficult. Good luck on your trip.
    I suppose that is possible but I am trying to reduce weight and not add more stuff.

• + New Posts