HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 w/ UQP
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Burlap Sacks as a makeshift UQ?

Hello! I recently stopped by my local grocery store that has plenty of bulk coffee and asked if I could have their leftover burlap bags. A scored two for free! I've been using one as wall decor when the thought crossed my mind, "Can I use these as a undercover to protect me from the Texas mosquitoes?" I figure they are breathable enough to be suitable for the warm summer evenings ahead. I was thinking of halving them to extending their coverage. Do y'all think this would be enough material to keep my tender undersides safe from the pesky blood-suckers?

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    There's only one way to find out .... plus I cant imagine anyone else has tried before

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 w/ UQP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That's very true! I'm focusing on packing for a move at the end of the month. After that, I'll have to report my findings!

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    No reason why it wouldn't work and the price is certainly right, although you are looking at some bulk.

The only other issue I can think of is aroma. I love the smell of coffee but a food like smell that could attract critters. If the beans in the bag weren't roasted already that would be minimal.

What I use sometimes is an undercover as opposed to an UQ. 2QZQ make one of sil and another thing you might consider is a Dri Ducks poncho undercover, it will accomplish the same thing with much less bulk than the burlap. It's a pretty simple DIY or you can pick one up from Jacks R Better.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 w/ UQP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    UncleMJM, with the 2QZQ undercover, would you suggest silnylon or the ripstop version for the Austin area? I'm thinking ripstop because the humidity can get pretty bad here some times and I don't want problems with a mildewy UQ or worse.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Back in the old days, when all the hiking was uphill both ways and in the winter, we didn't have nylon so the only underquilts we ever used were burlap sacks full of leaves. And because there was no nylon, we had to carry 8 foot lengths of chain link fence and baling wire for a hammock and suspension.

We didn't have any fancy GPS. We carried a Ouija board and if we didn't get an answer from that in a couple of hours, we'd kill somebody in the hiking party and ask him. That's how I ended up with all this vintage gear.

We didn't have any Bic lighters, either. We all wore corduroy trousers and we'd rub kindling back and forth on them real fast until they burst into flame.

With all that extra weight, we had to leave First Aid kits behind. If somebody got hurt they just got a new Trail Name like Stumpy or Lefty. Ask Gimpy, I know he remembers those days.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 w/ UQP
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Back in the old days, when all the hiking was uphill both ways and in the winter, we didn't have nylon so the only underquilts we ever used were burlap sacks full of leaves. And because there was no nylon, we had to carry 8 foot lengths of chain link fence and baling wire for a hammock and suspension.

We didn't have any fancy GPS. We carried a Ouija board and if we didn't get an answer from that in a couple of hours, we'd kill somebody in the hiking party and ask him. That's how I ended up with all this vintage gear.

We didn't have any Bic lighters, either. We all wore corduroy trousers and we'd rub kindling back and forth on them real fast until they burst into flame.

With all that extra weight, we had to leave First Aid kits behind. If somebody got hurt they just got a new Trail Name like Stumpy or Lefty. Ask Gimpy, I know he remembers those days.
    Oh my god. That caused SUCH a grandiose belly laugh! Thank you for that.

But seriously... did you really use burlap sacks with leaves, chain, & bailing wire?

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StrungOut View Post
    UncleMJM, with the 2QZQ undercover, would you suggest silnylon or the ripstop version for the Austin area? I'm thinking ripstop because the humidity can get pretty bad here some times and I don't want problems with a mildewy UQ or worse.
    I have the Sil for my wife's set up and the Dri Ducks for mine. We only use ours in cold wet weather as shields for our down UQs in the event of side blowing rain OR for an extra degree of warmth on really cold outings.

When used during the warm months for skeeter protection, either fabric would work as would the rip stop.

When you use an undercover during buggy warm times, you will likely vent it to keep from roasting. That venting will help with the moisture. The only way you'd have mildew issues would be storing damp gear so as long as you don't do that, any of the fabrics should work for you.

Or you could do this...

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Burlap sacks for wall decor!!! Kindred souls! You would have made a great hippie.

As for bug protection, I think the weave of the burlap may be loose enough to let the biters reach thru.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    Good score. Sandwich in a light blanket, canvas, or whatever in the middle , thread some elastic and and you're set. And if you need an extra bed, slip the bags over two poles, strap poles to tree and instant cot.
    Latest inspiration: In the dirt. Ep3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7ieDrNvnU

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast