Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    What UQ do you use in combo with this setup?
    Actually I think I would choose a yeti with a small pad. A pad is nice lay on at a rocky overlook. There will be times you will be on a hard surface such as in Vernon at the church hostel. There you lay on the floor. There may even be a shelter or two in store for you. I've always regretted them in the morning but coming in at 10pm in the cold rain after 20+ miles makes you forget the last time you slept in the shelter and you woke up with a sore back. In any case a small pad is nice to sit on too. The insulation you get from a pad is pretty good for the weight and you can store it onthe outside of your pack. I say the yeti because it is the only commercial 3/4 quilt out there. So you get to take advantage of the pad for your feet. I recently saw a yeti and I am very impressed. It has snaps to add more insulation even though that is yet to be determined. It would be easy to throw something in there for the colder months. The only other thing I would do is add elastic loops to the edge of your hammock with mitten clips. Then you can make the yeti act like a snugfit by pulling it towards the sides. The yeti has differential baffles so you can't make it too tight. One more plug for the yeti is Brandon used real narrow baffles which is alot harder to make, but holds the down better.

Actually I wouldn't buy a yeti myself, but I would clone it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Agree with Shug. A bag will suffice, but a topquilt is nice. Mostly just a matter of weight, well that and I don't like things with zippers in my hammocks. I can't see me ever buying another sleeping bag. I'd much rather spend my money on more down quilts.
    Ditto. I use the long Golite Ultra 20 at about 21 oz. I think it is 57" wide at the shoulders, so it tucks well.

The hood and draft collar and draft free aspects of a mummy bag can be invaluable near the temp rating limits of a bag. However, a quilt ( or a bag used as a quilt) is soooo much more comfy in a hammock and the quilt will be lighter for a given top loft.

If the quilt has ( like the Ultra 20 does) a means of securing it around the neck, and if it is wide enough to drape over you in a hammock well enough to prevent side drafts, and if you can roll over without causing a bad draft, and if you use a separate hood, you should be as warm. If you don't have a separate hood, a quilt long enough to easily go over your head can be really handy when you are on your side, making a faux hood.

OTOH, the heavier ( than a quilt) mummy bag you might already have, used as a quilt, will have abundant width for tucking, plenty of room for layering, the hood will cover your head in fine fashion while side sleeping. But for me, when on my back, I always have a lot of trouble with drafts around the neck/shoulders and the hood is worthless weight. That is not a problem unless you are approaching the limit of the bag, for ex: 20*F in a 20*F mummy bag. At 30 or 40 I am fine even on my back, using a 20*F mummy bag as quilt.

The Golite Ultra 20 is a fine quilt, but it's 20*F rating might be just a tad optimistic especially if I don't use a really good hood. I think it is great considering the price I paid for it on sale, but I think I might prefer one of the JRB top quilts with a head hole for camp wear. I might end up with one of those someday.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Personal preference is for a top quilt. JRB Nest and BMW UL90(summer wt synthetic) cover my normal night time temp range. With the JRB MWUQ the Nest has kept me warm down into the low 20*F. I'm not a very cold tolerant sleeper. Less mass/warmth, for me easier to thermo regulate and easy to get in and out of are benefits of TQ. The Nest is ~22oz, the BMW is ~10oz. If grounded the differential cut MWUQ is probably a 0*F TQ. Not bad for ~28oz.
    Noel V.

JRB No Sniveler and a Rocky Mountain No Sniveler. I plan to make a one-inch baffled version of the same. The JRB hood completes the top quilt system, that is, if you ain't got a JRB hood, your top quilt system is lacking.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    back when i started the gear making addiction by sewing my own down top quilt i found that the quilt was a good call.. i dont want to say they are superior to bags, but it seems to me it could be more of a struggle trying to get in and out of a bag inside a hammock. top quilts that overlap the sides of a quality underquilt are a super nice system. i can toss and turn in mine and it stays put, or easy to get back into place. And no hood to mess with!
    the instructions for the top quilt linked above are kinda scatterbrained in retrospect, i have since found numerous ways to improve the process which saves time and headaches. (one way was building a down quilt specific workshop )

i have since overstuffed that little blue quilt with 3oz of down, and its good to 20° (not bad for 15.5oz)

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I use either a home-made synthetic top quilt or a Montbell stretch synthetic bag as a quilt. Both work well - the choice is made by the temperature (Montbell is slightly warmer) or by how many folks are hammocking (have had to use the home-made quilt as an UQ when the whole family is hanging). I have tested a down quilt in the backyard but the night didn't cool down enough and I had to switch to the synthetic to keep from sweating.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12