Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images

Washington State Parks

My recent views of threads on HF indicated that hanging hammocks to trees in Washington state parks violated regulations. The Washington State Park webpage on rules and regs don't list tying hammocks, clotheslines or dogs to trees as prohibited. It does say "Wildlife, plants and all park buildings, signs and tables and other structures are protected; removal or damage of any kind is prohibited."

The only other document on the website refers only to hammocking as allowed on a vertical rock climbing route.

I just returned from car camping at Fort Worden in Port Townsend, Washington. My camping buddy hung his hammock using 1/4" rope. I discovered that he'd bought the ENO Slap Straps, but didn't use them because some trees were too far apart--doh. I helped him take the hammock down.

I've just emailed the Washington State Parks to inquire regarding relief of regulations pertaining to hammock use. I also suggested that not all campers were aware of such regulations nor are very many aware of how to responsibly hang from trees. I brazenly suggested that state hammock users would volunteer time and labor to help educate or improve hammock hanging conditions at parks. Funding could stop everything before a start, but I'm just poking around the ashes to see if I can get a fire going. Are we willing to volunteer?

I'll submit that opportunities for stealth camping abound in the zillions of trees in the parks. But how do we act ethically?

SEE:
    Washington State Parks and Recreation Commissioners and Director's Office
    Washington State Parks is governed by a board of seven volunteer citizens appointed by the governor. The Commission guides the policy and direction of the state parks system.
    Phone: (360) 902-8502
    E-mail: [email protected]

Images
    I've hung at Fort Worden a couple of times and also Birch Bay without being challenged (hanging in the middle of campsites with scouts). I saw a hammock set up with tarp (indicating to me it was for overnight use) at Twanoh recently. Several years ago we had a meet and greet at Illahee- the ranger came by thinking we were going to camp there and we ended up showing him our set ups and explaining the theory of tree straps.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    I've hung at Fort Worden a couple of times and also Birch Bay without being challenged (hanging in the middle of campsites with scouts). I saw a hammock set up with tarp (indicating to me it was for overnight use) at Twanoh recently. Several years ago we had a meet and greet at Illahee- the ranger came by thinking we were going to camp there and we ended up showing him our set ups and explaining the theory of tree straps.
    Did the ranger respond favorably?

Could you have camped? If not, should responsible hammock campers challenge their authority given the lack of mention on the documents I linked above and lack of signage at the state parks?

Images
    Yes, the ranger was interested in how we use hammocks for camping. We could have camped in our hammocks if we'd been in the camping area and paid the fees. I think it might work better to go ahead and set up your hammock in a campsite. Then, if challenged you have a chance to educate the ranger or campground host (which may or may not work).

Hammock
    DH RG 11' - Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    WL OMW or Tadpole
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/kevlar
    Images
    Keep in mind a friendly open attitude goes a long way in this. I have had good luck asking about the specific concerns they have with the suspension, and then addressing them individually and demonstrating a responsible attitude. If you are car camping you can also take some extra strips of old carpet or doormat as an extra layer under your straps to placate concerns. Many savvy rangers are interested because they know that having the public responsibly enjoy our natural resources is all about. I have only had a couple that wanted to enforce their understanding of the rules which used to include no tying of anything to the trees or structures, having seen some of the damage done to trees and fixtures it is sometimes hard to blame them from being concerned.

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex | Std
    Insulation
    Palisade | Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images

Wonderland Trail

I recently emailed the NPS the following:
    "We have a permit to do a section of the Wonderland in August and I am trying to decide on whether to go to ground or bring my hammock. We have camps at Devils Dream, South Puyallup and Golden Lakes. My hammock setup adheres to LNT principals and I would be using tree straps. Can you tell me if hanging is allowed and whether these particular camps would support it? Thank you for the assistance."

This is what they sent back:
    "The biggest requirement is that you use FLAT webbing to affix the hammock to the trees. Sounds like that is what you have.
    Others have used hammocks on the trail and I have had no reports of issues in regard to not being able to set them up at those camps. Be sure to have ample line.
    "

I know this thread was about WSP and not NPS, but I have had difficulty finding information on hanging the Wonderland so I thought I'd throw this out there.
    A hanging, though, was something different. I got to thinking. We hadn’t never been to nothing just to have a good time. A hanging was special and we was all getting to go.
    ~ Eddie Whitlock, Evil Is Always Human

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    KNT12/16
    Insulation
    KAQ RC 4S UQ
    Suspension
    Slings and arrows
    Good info! I've got a couple of duffle/garment bag shoulder strap load spreaders that I plan to repurpose on my tree straps.
    Latest inspiration: In the dirt. Ep3
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX7ieDrNvnU

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Wonderland Trail is a national park not a state park..
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    BIAS WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex | Std
    Insulation
    Palisade | Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    Wonderland Trail is a national park not a state park..
    Gary_R,

Yep, I know, that is why I included the statement "I know this thread was about WSP and not NPS, but I have had difficulty finding information on hanging the Wonderland so I thought I'd throw this out there" in my response.
    A hanging, though, was something different. I got to thinking. We hadn’t never been to nothing just to have a good time. A hanging was special and we was all getting to go.
    ~ Eddie Whitlock, Evil Is Always Human

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    The couple Rangers I've seen either noticed the straps or wasn't paying attention . We've never been hassled about it.

• + New Posts