HHH, BIAS
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Inc., PLUQ
    Suspension
    stock....
    Quote Originally Posted by Maytag View Post
    You will also need a pair of whoopies I have those really really cheap pm me you're address as well
    I am going to try and make them myself. But if I fail, I will keep you in mind!

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I always pick up "left behind" t**t stakes I find while hiking. Then, at home, I cut them down and make toggles out of them. I have a pair of arrow shaft toggles that I bought from a cottage vendor. (Can't remember if they're aluminum or titanium) The arrow shafts are FAR LIGHTER than the t**t stake toggles that I make.

I have used in the past toggles cut from plastic coat hangers. They work too, but I gave them up because of a lack of confidence in them (although they never failed me or Mr. Pips.)

If weight is an issue for you, use sticks found when you get to camp or arrow shafts. If weight/double duty is your mantra, use the bottle blanks or some other dual purpose device. Just remember, it's not that easy to get into the bottle when set up as your toggle---especially in cold weather while wearing gloves or mittens.

Whatever system works best for you is the best system to use--and that can change all the time!! (it does for me anyway!)
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    I always pick up "left behind" t**t stakes I find while hiking. Then, at home, I cut them down and make toggles out of them. I have a pair of arrow shaft toggles that I bought from a cottage vendor. (Can't remember if they're aluminum or titanium) The arrow shafts are FAR LIGHTER than the t**t stake toggles that I make.

I have used in the past toggles cut from plastic coat hangers. They work too, but I gave them up because of a lack of confidence in them (although they never failed me or Mr. Pips.)

If weight is an issue for you, use sticks found when you get to camp or arrow shafts. If weight/double duty is your mantra, use the bottle blanks or some other dual purpose device. Just remember, it's not that easy to get into the bottle when set up as your toggle---especially in cold weather while wearing gloves or mittens.

Whatever system works best for you is the best system to use--and that can change all the time!! (it does for me anyway!)
    If they're arrow shafts, they are aluminum. Although a ti arrow sounds really cool....expensive but cool.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    D-buckls+whoopies
    I used marlin spikes before switching to dutch buckles. My problem with using sticks was after a prolonged hang in damp weather, the friction on the sticks made it really hard to get the toggles out. Anything smooth and regular would be much easier, IMO.

FWIW, one explanation I heard for carbon fiber failure had to do with the direction of the forces. Carbon fiber has directional strength properties and that's normally aligned in the direction of the tube. When using as a toggle, the forces are at an angle. However, this explanation is anecdotal, at best.
    Last edited by dfscott; 06-25-2014 at 11:34. Reason: clarifying the uncertainty of the carbon fiber statement

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch
    I thought the idea here was to hang from the knot so the strength of the toggle isn't really critical ... people are really breaking carbon fiber toggles?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by d_flo_yo View Post
    ... people are really breaking carbon fiber toggles?
    Yes. Even when used properly, the MSH places constricting/crushing forces on the toggle. CF arrow shafts don't seem to be designed for that type of force.

There is enough variation in CF arrows, straps used for tree huggers, hang angles and user weight that some people get by with using CF arrow shafts and some don't. I have seen vary few reports of aluminum shafts failing.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ggle%20failure

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG CubeF w/ doors
    Insulation
    NEO AIR
    Suspension
    Strap Dutch Whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    While many have used CF arrow shafts for toggles, I have also seen more reports of them failing than any other commonly used item.
    Mine failed on me. Whoopie was on the knot, but I suppose force was too great over time. Stick with aluminum.

My teen made these for me. A $3 piece of aluminium bar from Lowes was enough for 4 sets. He is really proud of them.

Hitch pegs by oScarlet, on Flickr

Hitch pegs by oScarlet, on Flickr

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY cat SylNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Quote Originally Posted by momtaxi View Post
    My teen made these for me. A $3 piece of aluminium bar from Lowes was enough for 4 sets. He is really proud of them.
    Very nice...
    The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

- Samuel Johnson

Hammock
    SLD TR, BIAS HL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, AHE
    Suspension
    DW Whoopies/Straps
    Those aluminum bars are really nice. He should be proud of them. What are the dimensions? Is that a case for them too?