WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Amsteel and tech line are types of cordage. Both are hollow braided so they can be spliced i.e. having the line go into itself allowing for constriction of the the outer over the inner line. This constriction provides the holding power but once its released, the inner line can move freely.

TessdeTerrible is correct. Both UCR's and whoopie slings take advantage of constriction. A whoopie sling is made of one continuous length of amsteel and there is constriction along the full length of the bury whereas the UCR has a separate shorter piece in which the longer line slides through. The constriction of the shorter piece gradually decreases over its length.

Yeah I know, clear as mud.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    The tech line I've seen is spliceable but it is so small it can be challenging. Adjustability is for finding your preferred sag. To that end you could simple make an end loop on one end of the the line and use the truckers hitch on the other to make adjustments in length. When you find the length you want you can measure it and then make a RL with two simple end loops.
    Actually if you are a proponent of "KISS" methodology, Bubba offers the best solution. In reality, after you have found the sweet spot, your probably going to lock it it with a RL that is not adjustable. So now you have Many choices It gets even clearer when you add a tarp

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Rather than use any kind of adjustable splice you would be just as well or better off using a clove hitch on each end around the suspension line. Tie in one end and then measure your 83% point. Mark the line with a sharpie or or simiar with something like a double band. Mark a half dozen points either side with a single band. Space those around 1 in or 2 mm. That gives you witness marks for changing the length afterward. Try a couple of marks each way to see the difference. That will also show you how sensitive the changes are. 9 ft is on the short side so no bet on what you will find. The ideal hang will have some but not excessive strain on your ridge line when you are in the hammock. Once you hang it a few times you will get calibration on how that looks/feels empty. A bit of practice and you can move to practicing your lounge look as you sit back and watch the tenters pound in stakes. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Wal-mart (hey, I'm just starting).
    Tarp
    WildLogics Tadpole
    Insulation
    Small down quilt
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    I'm starting to get the picture. Thanks for all the advice. I just received a new Tadpole tarp, so yes, the plot gets thicker with each reply...... I always try to employ the "KISS" methodology whenever possible.. With each answer, you can easily find three more questions.... For now, the tarp sits untested until I figure out the hammock. Soon, I may have it all worked out. Pictures will follow. While I try to have hammock fun in the back yard, I am pulled back into disassembling our deck for it's eventual replacement. Oh free time where are you?
    Tony-AF23

"Pleasure is nothing without adversity's reflections."
    "This water goes North" by Dennis Weidemann - Pg 58

There is no such thing as bad weather - Just bad gear.
    twitter@justinide

Hammock
    Tarp
    WildLogics Tadpole
    Insulation
    Small down quilt
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies
    you can move to practicing your lounge look as you sit back and watch the tenters pound in stakes. ;-)
    This will be my brother since he hasn't been curious about hammocks so far. When we do our thru-hike of the SHT in late July/August, he'll be envious as he pounds in those stakes, I'm sure.
    Tony-AF23

twitter@justinide

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders
    look up a continuous ridge line on youtube
    "Never be the smartest man in the room" ~ unknown
    "Peace is that moment in history when everyone stops and reloads" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hammock
    Gathered end table cloth
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Sheetbend
    if your not set on making an adjustable ridge line to find your preferred length, you can just hang your hammock and adjust the sag with the suspension. then measure the distance and make a solid one.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WildLogics Tadpole
    Insulation
    Small down quilt
    Suspension
    Straps / Whoopies

Unhappy First hang test - Not successful!

Well, the adjustable splice for the ridge-line looked pretty complicated, so I went and set it at 83% with bowlines and tried it out last night. Ugh. I'm a difficult sleeper in the best conditions, and I must sleep on my side no matter what. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep at all. I tossed and turned all night barely dosing off before waking back up. I had various small problems partly due to setting up in a hurry after dark, but i was definitely not comfortable. The UQ kept slipping around due my tossing and turning. I can easily tighten that up, but I'll have to test other ridge-line lengths and hopefully find my sweet spot.

P7050367.jpg

P7050366.jpg

I'll have to search the forums to see if there's any hope for side-sleeping. I've read that some have good success, but I didn't know if I would have to spend money on a better quality/larger hammock (or maybe I need to go to a bridge hammock). Hmm?

The good news is the new tarp was set up correctly. It rained for an hour, and I stayed dry.
    Tony-AF23

twitter@justinide

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Try not to overcomplicate things with adding more questions to each answer. Overthinking a basic hanging sack will keep you up at night.

The hammock ridgeline is only made to give you a consistent hang each time you deploy the hammock. You DON'T have to have one at all as long as you hang the hammy at ~30*.

The tarp ridgeline is only made to slide your tarp on or under to center the tarp to the hammock. You DON'T need one either. You can tie each end from a separate line.

For the hammock, do as suggested by nothermark. Make an adjustable RL, whoopies or UCR, and mark each side of the 83%. Adjust each witness mark until you like the feel and then just leave it be.

For the tarp, set up the RL first. Then put your tarp over the RL and stake it, then do the same with the tarp under the RL. See which you like best and your done.

After you get your adjustments dialed in, then practice a few times. It gets easier each time. Then practice in the rain or with the sprinklers running.......

.....Let the fun begin.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Ridgeline adjustment is a personal thing and takes a few tries to find your spot. You'll mess with it a while if you hammock a fair deal. I used utility cord from REI for years before going to amsteel and the like. Remember 83% is just a starting point.
    Read This: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html
    Tarps.....I just did some videos on that. Hope they help.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast