Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex 11'
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

Bungee cords instead of ridgeline?

Does anyone use bungee cords as an alternative to a ridgeline when setting up a tarp? Seems pretty quick but what are the drawbacks? How many of you have tried this method out and what you think of it.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I suspect it would work better in theory than in practice.

First bungie cords are way heavier than my CRL. Also, without knowing how far apart the trees are BEFORE I leave home, I'd have to be carrying several sets of bungies cords. If I try to stretch them too far the tension is going to be immense on the tarp.

Might be okay for the backyard, maybe.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Full length bungees have too much give IMO. A nice taut pitch will shed wind and snow more effectively. Tarp tensioners are good to maintain some tautness and to compensate for material stretch but they are only elastic for a very short distance. I personally don't use tarp tensioner lines but I don't mind tightening my guylines after the tarp stretches plus I really like a taut pitch on my tarps.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I use NiteIze 5mm adjustable bungees all around on my tarps for the adjustable convenience and taut set up. It works well on the ridge line as I attach them to the adjustable webbing...much caution for the corner ones is warranted (they can launch pegs if too tight). Being carried on the moto means dual use. For a ridge line only I prefer them enough to consider carrying them on my back...as long as they were also used for something else as well (attaching stuff to backpack etc). Disclaimer; That view might alter if this rider actually was physically able to backpack.

Generally I attach the ridge line pair to the biners of my adjustable webbing (tree straps work too)...if the length between two trees does not work for the hammock it certainly will not work for the tarp. I also carry two extra tree straps, just in case.

Hammock
    11.5' DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    ArgonSil11'/wdoors
    Insulation
    20F Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I need to plan to be able to spend 8-10 feet just on the tree circumference alone, so I like 1 continuous 50' ridgeline. It's overkill sometimes, but it also has been just barely enough. I would be extremely limited if I brought any bungees.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Insaniac99 View Post
    I need to plan to be able to spend 8-10 feet just on the tree circumference alone, so I like 1 continuous 50' ridgeline. It's overkill sometimes, but it also has been just barely enough. I would be extremely limited if I brought any bungees.
    Do you use a tree strap for your hammock set up? If so how much higher than the strap on the tree do you normally place the ridge line? Assuming that in the Pacific North Wet a lower set up would be the one.

While I also carry tree straps, generally the tarp can be attached to the straps on my hammock (adjustable webbing). So if our hammocks fit the tarps do too. As demonstrated in the video, no I have never just used just a bungee but have always used some sort of strap...either on the adjustable webbing carabiners or the extra straps for a higher or solo tarp set up (rare). We try to avoid rope on trees if for no other reason than the PR aspect of hanging leaving less trace than other forms of camping.

Makkan, were you asking for tarp set up only or tarp over hammock?

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Do you use a tree strap for your hammock set up? If so how much higher than the strap on the tree do you normally place the ridge line? Assuming that in the Pacific North Wet a lower set up would be the one.

While I also carry tree straps, generally the tarp can be attached to the straps on my hammock (adjustable webbing). So if our hammocks fit the tarps do too. As demonstrated in the video, no I have never just used just a bungee but have always used some sort of strap...either on the adjustable webbing carabiners or the extra straps for a higher or solo tarp set up (rare). We try to avoid rope on trees if for no other reason than the PR aspect of hanging leaving less trace than other forms of camping.

Makkan, were you asking for tarp set up only or tarp over hammock?
    for me the tarp line will always be lower than my straps and I think this is very common????

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbilly Hex 11'
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    First of all thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. I'm really new to hammock camping, I've only had my hammock set up once but just for a test really. I've yet to spend a night in it.

So my main reason for asking is really to use the tarp as a rain cover for the hammock. The way Sgt. Fruitcake does it in the video makes it look really quick and easy. But then again most things are quick and easy once you've done them a couple of times.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sgt. Fruitcake doesn't seem to care about weight in the least, and I wouldn't listen to him about anything hammock or backpacking-related. That's a 27 oz. tarp and he's found a way to make it a 37 to 50 oz. tarp setup. The man likes heavy things!

There is absolutely nothing about a continuous ridgeline, or two separate ridgelines, that should increase takedown or put-up time over bungees. I spend seconds hanging my tarp or unhanging it. I use Dutchgear titanium doodads (Flyz, Wasps and Hooks) on my 1.75 mm Zing-It tarp ridgeline, and they weigh a fraction of those bungees. However, even I were tying knots I don't think there would be any appreciable time savings versus bungees.

Bungees as tarp tie-outs? Again, very heavy. The main thing I dislike about bungees (after the weight) is their unique ability to turn a tarp stake into a projectile that can put an eye out, and they're aiming right at the hammock. Diamond configuration tarps are not ideal for hammock weather coverage either.

You should be viewing Shug's YouTube channel, not Sgt. Fruitcake's!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, DIY's....
    Tarp
    HG, JRB, DIY...
    Insulation
    UGQ Top/Bottom
    Suspension
    Dutch ti/amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Sgt. Fruitcake doesn't seem to care about weight in the least, and I wouldn't listen to him about anything hammock or backpacking-related. That's a 27 oz. tarp and he's found a way to make it a 37 to 50 oz. tarp setup. The man likes heavy things!

There is absolutely nothing about a continuous ridgeline, or two separate ridgelines, that should increase takedown or put-up time over bungees. I spend seconds hanging my tarp or unhanging it. I use Dutchgear titanium doodads (Flyz, Wasps and Hooks) on my 1.75 mm Zing-It tarp ridgeline, and they weigh a fraction of those bungees. However, even I were tying knots I don't think there would be any appreciable time savings versus bungees.

Bungees as tarp tie-outs? Again, very heavy. The main thing I dislike about bungees (after the weight) is their unique ability to turn a tarp stake into a projectile that can put an eye out, and they're aiming right at the hammock. Diamond configuration tarps are not ideal for hammock weather coverage either.

You should be viewing Shug's YouTube channel, not Sgt. Fruitcake's!
    I don't know this Sgt. Fruitcake but I will have to second this suggestion. Shug's videos are entertaining even if you don't learn a thing! I've watched most of them multiple times and have learned something every time.
    (There are stickys at the top of each sub-foru for the videos related to that aspect of hammocking.. underquilts, weather protection, suspensions, etc.

Good luck and happy hanging!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast