WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Cohutta wilderness hammock trip

Last weekend I took my son to the Cohutta wilderness in North Georgia. We camped near Jacks river falls, on the banks of the river. The campsite we chose was in a really neat location, but if we had been in a tent, it would have been a very miserable trip. The ground was rocky and uneven, (very common in the Cohuttas!) In addition, it rained all night, and most of the campsite was a muddy mess. However, since we were hanging, we were dry and warm, and had a very comfortable night! I think it was the most comfortable night I have ever spent in the backcountry! With the river noise in the background, and raindrops hitting thetarp, it was pretty relaxing! Due to the rain, we were in our hammocks for almost 12 hours--------it was very cozy and nice! There is no way I could have spent that long laying on the rocky ground in a tent (that probably would have leaked!) We had a great trip, partly due to the fact we were hammock camping! Thanks for all the great advice! On a side note, we had a medium sized bear come and visit us several times during the night. I think he was very confused about the whole hammock thing-----"what the heck is that?" I encouraged him to leave, and he decided to vacate the premisis! I'll try to post a few pictures later. I thought this trip really highlighted the advantages of a hammock over a tent. Its official, Im totally addicted to hammocks---Ill never go back to ground sleeping! By the way, we used 2 diy speer hammocks (with a few modifications!) and a modified rayway tarp. (I added a couple of pieces to the sides and ends, to make it a little wider on one end, with a longer beak) Using the 3 tree method, it worked like charm! Thanks again for the great forum and advice!
    Last edited by stevebo; 07-15-2009 at 20:25.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Good to hear it's official... your addiction, that is.

It's also good to hear you shared such a great time with your son in what might otherwise have been a miserable time with the rain and the terrain. Hammocks are nice, aren't they?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Looking forward to the pictures Steve. I camped in that area once. Nice country.
    Glad the little bear listened to you & hit the trail<G>.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    FYI. Camping is banned between the first river crossing above and below the falls (known as the Beech Bottom Area). Rangers will make you move and issue a citation if they catch you. Overuse and cronic bear problems are the reasons for the ban.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    It's great how comfortable a hammock is, and really great how nice they are in a storm!

Glad you two had a good experience. Thanks for sharing about it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Lazy boy, you are correct about the ban on camping near the falls. We were just out side the no camping zone, on the other side of the river! Its such a beautiful area, its been loved to death! Theres still alot of trash from day hikers, but its much better than before the ban. The beechbottom trail is only 4 miles long, but its still a long way to haul the vast quanititys of beer cans Ive seen there! (youve got to be a pretty dedicated drinker to haul dozens of cans of beer down a mountain trail!) While we were there, we saw a group of kids camping illeagally in the no camping zone. I guess some people cant read? Anyway, I made sure we were in compliance with the no camping zone rule. I sent the rangers an email asking about the area, and they were really helpful---lots of great info!

I camped at Beech Bottom in 1977, there were a few fire rings then and few other signs humans had been there. Sadly that place is a little too close to the road.

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    stevebo, thanks for responding. I didn't want people to plan a trip there and find out on arrival that they have to camp so far away from the falls.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Yeah, that would be a bad thing to show upand find out the rules have changed!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Heres some pictures from our Cohutta wilderness trip! We were having camera problems, and I didnt take very many pictures of our hammock camp------next time! Enjoy!

• + New Posts