Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Homochitto National Forest Clear Springs Trail complex

I don't see too many threads on this place. I've been once, on a single overnight many moons ago. Anyone have any opinions on it? Are there established campsites (I don't remember seeing any)? I think the entire area has 26 miles worth of hiking and biking trails, all loops, as well as a campground with both primitive sites and improved sites with full hookups. It's in Meadville, MS, which is between Natchez and McComb, so 2.5 hours from NOLA, and 2 hours from BR. It's a national forest, so overnight camping is allowed. Well, I stayed off the trail and didn't end up in prison, anyway.

I might go back this weekend if my date decides she has another nephews birthday to go to.

I biked there a few times many years ago but never hiked it. From what I remember it had some fairly good hills. I think there were 2 or 3 loops at the time. I don't recall seeing any camping spots on the trail but I wasn't exactly looking for them. Had some large pine forest and was fairly clear of undergrowth when I was there. Hadn't thought about it but the area would probably make for a good hike. I've camped off trail in Bienville National Forest and down on the Tuxachanie so far this year and haven't had any issues. In fact never saw a soul at night other than my hiking buddy or my dog.

SwingLo

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    I never heard of that one so I looked. Forest service has good maps available as pdfs. Show longest trail "Tally Creek" maybe 8 miles atound, recommended as Day Hike. Camping is at lake on Clear Springs Trail. Looks like 3 campsites and 1 picnic site mostly accesable by vehicles. If there's a no camping in other than established campground policy I didn't see it. Lots of ATV and hunting activity seems like.

Hammock
    Dutchware PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    The Tally's Creek trail is closer to 12 miles. I know there is a primitive campsite with probably two dozen sites, set apart from the improved sites (with hookups). And it's a National Forest; doesn't that mean camping is allowed anywhere off the trail unless otherwise posted?

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    "Camping is allowed anywhere off trail ..." As far as Nat. Forest land is concerned I have _heard_ that. You can always play dumb. From the looks of the map you will have to camel up for water overnight.

Images
    My son and I stopped by there last October to look around and did a short hike. Camping loop B would be an excellent spot for a group hang. Lots of very good trees, central spot but off away from other campers, hook up if needed and not to far from the bath house and a pavilion to meet at if desired.

Great place.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Veries
    Insulation
    arbridge UQ, & OTH
    Suspension
    Cinge Bukles
    Images
    I just recently did an overnight there and they have primitive campsite and trails, though the trails where closed, i think due to bad weather that had been in the are recently, so i was not able to do any hiking, but the campsites are good and what i could see of the trail they where also scenic. I plan on going back in the fall sometime.
    hang your own hang
    Bayou Serenity

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Depending on the date I'd be interested in this. It's not even a couple hours from home. A few more folks could probably be rounded up as well.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Just a quick update. My wife and I had a free night, she wanted to camp (we always do,) and I was interested in this camp. We got in a bit later than we wanted but still well before dark. Hung camp in the primitive loop and chilled a bit, listening to coyotes early in the evening. Bugs were a bit busy until we smoked the fire a touch, after that I had no problems. The missus however woke up around two and was installing the bug net around her (zippers wake me, kid tent camping thing) so I got up to help and about that time we hear a panther scream to the west. This continued intermittently until almost daylight. It wasn't close enough for concern, just awe. Think of all the people lured by that through the ages, expecting to rescue a woman or child, only to walk up on a large cat. Wow. Otherwise it was quiet, no one else on the loop but improved sites had some occupants. Primitive sites have fire rings with flip grill grates for cooking, but hardwood firewood is not overly abundant. I had enough from scavenging fell limbs, but a large group would be hard to sustain. While the primitive loop has no view of the lake, it's also fairly secluded. This is all a fee use area. $5 car, $7 primitive, $20 improved. I have enjoyed the night, that's for sure. Well I'm about to get another cup of coffee and a sausage dog off the fire, they are calling my name. So from a hammock, on location, I bid you good day and give this one a thumbs up!
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

Hammock
    WB RR, BB
    Tarp
    Cluodburst, MJ
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    D-rings and straps
    Now that's a sign-off!
    Do you think the cat was a Bobcat or ?

• + New Posts