Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Well here are some names for you: Ed Speer, Dave Womble, Risk, Just Jeff, Angry Sparrow, Cannibal, Gargoyle ... and the list goes on. You want to know the information these folks have stored away, and so do I.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    WV, the problem is getting them to talk. Torture is forbidden by the Geneva Convention. Hmm, maybe the Geneva people have not heard about this one: Hold all their hammock gear hostage and make them use tents until they spill it.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    WV, the problem is getting them to talk. Torture is forbidden by the Geneva Convention. Hmm, maybe the Geneva people have not heard about this one: Hold all their hammock gear hostage and make them use tents until they spill it.

I don't think there was ever any trouble getting those folks WV listed to talk....the foundation of this forum is built with those particular folks words. The trouble is that they have (for the most part) decided to no longer participate here because of various reasons. I don't think any of those reasons involve a lack of wanting to talk about hammocks.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Well here are some names for you: Ed Speer, Dave Womble, Risk, Just Jeff, Angry Sparrow, Cannibal, Gargoyle ... and the list goes on. You want to know the information these folks have stored away, and so do I.
    but unfortunately these people are no longer active on this site. and that is a very sad statement to make...
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
    but unfortunately these people are no longer active on this site. and that is a very sad statement to make...
    I know... It's soooooo sad....
    I'm a Mormon. I know it, I live it, and I love it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxhanger View Post
    I would like to point out that I explicitly defined "elders" as "experienced, knowledgeable, skilled members". If the elders are coincidentally predominantly youth-challenged...
    Youth challenged??!!
    If it's all the same to you, I prefer to think of it as being experientially advantaged.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Experienced, knowledgeable, skilled. Phew, I'm still learning but I do feel like an elder, could be the years. Back in late 2010 I was perusing the survival sites, seemed the world was going to end tomorrow, and found mention of the Hammock Forum. Checked it out and liked the way it was run. Then I had my feet kicked out from under me on New Years Day 2011 when our son of 33 yrs. died in an accident. After and amongst all the turmoil of that I buried myself in the Forum. I believed it maintained my sanity. I had been an outdoorsman for most of my life and made it a point of exposing our kids to the outdoors. By March of 2011 I had DIYed a kit and hit the woods with a group of people I had never seen before. I still hike and hang with most of them. Around 6.11 I modified a lawn swing, the Aunt next door molded and mildewed, into an indoor stand and went full time. It can be found under 'Another stand'. Sometime prior to 4.12, that was when samsara named it and started the Turtledog thread, while reading the Turtlelady's thread on her portable traveling stand I worked out a way to make one my way, a little more complicated but that's my mechanical bent. The TD has proven to be well received and I quit the register at 200 built. The TD was mentioned just to express that an idea shared here can effect many. Due to my sons death I missed the first Annual Florida Hang but I've made it a point of making every one since and it is one of my most satisfying experiences. To the point of telling my daughter that she can't get married on MLK Jr. weekend. The people, the fun, the food and the kids. I wanted to try to make being out in the woods something the kids might look forward to so I made some little gifts for them. Went over big time but it gets harder every year to come up with something different. If you get the chance join in on a group hang, do it! Doesn't matter whether it's with 10 or 100. It doesn't matter if you're young or old, rich or poor, it will be the most rewarding experience, well maybe, in your life. I'm still amazed when our core group, which is flexible, gets together for our first hang of the season. It's like welcoming a long lost brother or sister back home. Do have a brother who is a liberal and you are a conservative? I do and I love him. We leave that at the trailhead. After a couple of years it almost gets like family. Hell it is family! At this time I have the phone numbers of most of those I hike and hang with. Lost MAD777 last year due to his work and had to do a bunch of chasing around to get in touch with him. I was concerned after not seeing him on the Forum for awhile. Since becoming a HF member I have expanded my family to Maine and Virginia and hope to add more. Just realized they include MI, NC, GA, SC, TN, TX, LA and probably some I missed. Not to mention all those whom I'll never meet but are still friends in sprit.

Was this what you were looking for? Not usually this verbose but I just bought my first bottle of Bourbon in over a month. D.a.m.n. it's good!
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    I don't think there was ever any trouble getting those folks WV listed to talk....the foundation of this forum is built with those particular folks words. The trouble is that they have (for the most part) decided to no longer participate here because of various reasons. I don't think any of those reasons involve a lack of wanting to talk about hammocks.
    Absolutely agree on all points.

Interesting idea though.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I would doubt highly that they have any information "stored away" that isn't discussed somewhere on these forums. Quite frankly, anything about hammocks can be found here. The fact that some of them don't participate anymore is irrelevant, with the membership that we have.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    They are no longer active, but to my knowledge their posts are still archived. Granted it makes it a little harder to get to the good stuff, but those folks were never at a loss for rabbit trails either. Trying to stay on track was an mental exercise in and of itself. So dig in and enjoy the treasure hunt.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast