Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images

Question TQ dimensions relative to body width/length?

Hey folks

After taking my son on his first "real" hammocking adventure last weekend I've decided that it's time for him to get a real TQ. He's lugging around a heavy synthetic down sleeping bag (well, I got to carry it on the way back....).

So I put a blanket on top of him, tugged it under a bit and measured width - ditto for length: up to his chin, added about 12 inches at the bottom for wriggle room. But now I'm kind of stuck with figuring out where the curve the darn thing (where do I make it wider/thinner, etc).

So that got me wondering: Is everyone here more or less making things up as they go - or is there some sort of "golden" measurement? Kind of like: top to widest part X% of quilt, widest part X%, footbox another X%....

Or another option for calculating might be (as the title says) body width * x% and body length *x%...

Would be great if someone could shed some light!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I did the same thing you did to size my TQ - actually I pinned in a footbox on a comfy throw I had and then played couch potato a bit to try it out...

I think most are using about the half way point in length to start narrowing the width. I like the extra width in the footbox (I could never ever use a mummy bag) so I just made mine square.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, Jarbidge
    It is totally up to you! I usually start my half taper quilts for normal sized quilts (72" or 78" length) at 45 inches from the top. That's just me, you can do it however. No taper will give you the most wiggle room possible as bubba mentioned above. Generally the half taper is to give a little more coverage in the hip region but minimize extra material/fill at the lower leg/foot region so if going that route you may want to consider starting the taper somewhere around knee/thigh based on how tall he is. Feel free to shoot me an email if you want to bounce any ideas, happy to help.
    Jared

Mid-Atlantic Mountain Works
    www.mid-atlanticmountainworks.com

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I frail about with my feet a bit, plus sleep on my side. At 6'-1" tall and 195 pounds, my quilts are rectangular at 78" long and 40" wide.

Keep in mind that if you sleep on the ground, or worse yet an inflatable pad, you will need a much wider quilt.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Ray Jardine has a formula, however, I think testing what works for the individual is the best. Go to a yard sale or thrift store, buy a old blanket, have the recipient lay on the floor, on their side comfortably, fetal position or whatever is comfortable, put the blanket over them, mark the dimensions needed. Give extra room for kicking, rolling, add a bit of extra room around for the thickness of the finished product. I am 63 inches tall I made my TQ 69 inches before I added the 3 inch baffles. I just love the finished quilt, it fits me! All my life I have used gear that is too long, a real waste.

Remember kids tend to sprout like weeds after a good rain. If weight is not a huge issue you could make a pleat around the bottom of the quilt and baste it, then when your son grows, you can open up the pleat, add a band of insulation and close up the seam. Or give away his quilt and build another for the new taller fellow.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Great, folks! That should get me started.

Mad777: I hadn't thought of the fact that a ground-dweller quilt should be wider - I'll try to factor that in!
    Ironfish45: I'm lucky (?!) enough to have 2 more kids behind that one, so it'll get passed down the line when it gets too small. But I love the idea of making it adjustable!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    By the by, I came across this beauty on a German forum (yes, but pictures speak for themselves) X_Quilt_14a_verkleinert.jpg

Full link is here: https://www.outdoorseiten.net/forum/...07-Daunenquilt

I won't be able to make it that well sewing-wise, but love the idea of being able to use it as a flat quilt as well as a sleeping bag - without strings to hold it together. Also the draft channel around it is a bit like the Ray Jardine approach that I found after looking him up... hmm, ideas, idea

Hammock
    DIY Asym 11ft
    Tarp
    DIYSilHexTarp 11ft
    Insulation
    FullDIYDownUQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware...
    Images
    Sorry for my bad english

• + New Posts