Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images

1.1oz nylon weight limit

I can only seem to find the light nylon ripstop on the sale racks. I assume it's OK for a people hammock (vs gear hammock) since WB has them available in 1.1 single layer. What kind of weight limit should I plan on?

Yes, I'm sure this info is already here somewhere, but all my searches brought back "no results found".

Also, is the stuff you guys(and gals) find at WalMart marked with a weight? Everything I find is marked "material of unknown origin". I'm assuming that it is the 1.1oz too. Is there a way to tell besides experience(which I don't have yet)?

Thanks.

Jbo

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbo_c View Post
    Is there a way to tell besides experience(which I don't have yet)? Jbo
    A scale is about it.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Thanks Rev. That would do too. Just watched all your intro videos. Learned a lot. Thanks. My daughter thinks it's hysterical that I'm going to sew . . . er, make gear . . . on her machine.

I did find some more info, but nothing on whether or not to be comfortable making a hammock for myself out of the 1.1oz yet. BTW I'm about 200 pounds.

Thanks, again.

Jbo

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    Weighing the material is one method of determining what the material weight is. One (1) linear yard of material equals approximately 1.67 square yards. If you already knew that, sorry for being redundant.

All the WM ripstop that I have purchased has been a form of 1.1-1.4 ripstop with some level of DRW on it. The bolt is never marked to what it really is.

In another thread it’s mentioned that you can do a burn test. The way it burns and smells indicates the type of material it is.

As for “load” weight, I recall 1.1 can support up to ~150 pounds. I made a test hammock out the WM stuff (before I knew the weight limit) and I noticed some stretch to it (I weigh ~170). So if I were to make a DIY out this material, I would double it for better weight support.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    1.1 feels really thin. 1.9 feels almost the thickness of a sheet of paper.
    It's pretty easy to tell them apart when you have them side by side.

If you can only find 1.1, you could just do a double layer hammock...

Hope that helps,
    Acer

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB1520 View Post
    Weighing the material is one method of determining what the material weight is. One (1) linear yard of material equals approximately 1.67 square yards. If you already knew that, sorry for being redundant.
    I hate to be a nit picky lil twit but that depends on the width of the fabric. Such is especially important when shopping the Wally World bargain bins because I have found fabric all over the map there. Obviouswly 42" fabric is going to be a different square yardage than 62" and I have found both and lots inbetween. I found a 65" one time. That hit the motherlode since it was treated and useful for a tarp.

In point of fact... and speaking _only_ for myself, I don't give a rat's pitootie about the weight of the fabric. I have successfully hung my lard butt in a hammock so thin you just about read through it. Not that I would want to rely on that for the AT but my suspicion is the weight is given way more importance by the gram weenies than is required.

Having said that... I usually look to the bargain bins for prototype and "disposable" projects. If I were making something where I wanted to know the quality was there I would buy known fabric from known vendors. The fiber content and the weight are only two unknowns in dealing with the WW bargain stuff. If "good enuf" is good enough (nothing wrong with that) then the WW stuff is fine. But for the best you can get... It's worth the investment in known materials. YMMV.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I also bought about 15 yds of 1.7oz ripstop from walmart...it can be found. (well, my walmart no longer carries fabric so it can't be found there!)
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I hate to be a nit picky lil twit but that depends on the width of the fabric. Such is especially important when shopping the Wally World bargain bins because I have found fabric all over the map there. Obviouswly 42" fabric is going to be a different square yardage than 62" and I have found both and lots inbetween. I found a 65" one time. That hit the motherlode since it was treated and useful for a tarp.
    Good point RR...simple solution
    measure and weigh...
    WxL (in inches) divided by 1296 (# of sq inches in one sq yard of fabric)
    Example (10' long hammock)
    62"x120"/1296=5.74 sq yds (double if it is a double layer)
    put the material on a scale...9.8oz
    9.8oz divided by 5.74 sq yds = 1.7 oz/yd material

clear as mud?
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Yep, I'm good with figuring the areas for weight calculations.

And, Rev, I'm mostly looking for "prototyping" stuff for me with my first projects. I've already put an order together over at owfinc for the good stuff. I just want some cheap stuff to practice on.

As long as I'm at it, is the polypro web at owf good for hammock suspension? They say it isn't for climbing, etc, but I'm guessing that's more for liability reasons. It'd be nice to be able to get theirs so I only have to pay shipping once.

Thanks for all the responses.

Jbo

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

Square Size helps

On the nylong ripstop fabric I have purchased, 1.7 and 1.9oz has about 1/4" square grids. Mine ranges from 7/32" to 1/4". The 1.1oz stuff usually has smaller squares, about half the size.

That said, I have some 2.2oz riptstop polyester (I think) that has squares the same size as the 1.1oz nylon and have seen some very lightweight (see through) nylon with almost 1/4" squares.

Calculating the square yardage and weighing is about the only way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast