Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Images
    Thanks for the advice.

I am toying with the idea of draft stoppers. I figure they will add an oz to the weight of the quilt. With the edge seam that I am using on the down quilts, adding them later will not be hard. Would a rolled hem on the edge make it easier to tuck?

I want them to be able to lay flat so that I can use them as bottom quilts as well.

I am thinking now about how to close the footbox. Headchange suggested using snaps to close it. Any thoughts of using them or something similar instead of depending on the drawstring and onmi tape, or a short zipper?

My thinking is that weight wise they might add a little, but they would keep the bottom of the quilt from compressing and from taking away some of the length.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I got the idea for the snaps when I saw a picture of them used on a Nunatak Ark Quilt. The pics on the website don't show the snaps on the footbox area but I swear I saw a similar quilt with foot box snaps. Another neat feature of the Arc quilts is they use a snap at the neck also. I bet that would really make for a nice snug fit around the should/neck area and go a long way to stop drafts. I am thinking about adding a "neck snap" to my No Sniveller.

I'm sure that using snaps would require the purchase of some special too l. I just wonder how secure the snap would be in the foot box area. I would think it would only require 3-4 snaps to form the footbox.

They also use a neat method of securing the quilt around you; a couple of webbing straps go across the back and hold the quilt around you. I like how the straps can also hold pad. You wouldn't need draft stoppers if you used a method like this.

I also like the location of the drawstring. It's exits in the middle of the quilt and and allows you to sinch both sides at once and would be easier to adjust once you are settled under the quilt. It's also made from shock cord. I think if you use shock cord in the drawstring channel of a DIY under quilt it would really contour to the shape of a hammock which would help to stop drafts between the hammock and the under quilt.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Even using 1.9 oz ripstop, and using 7" x 6', you will well under 1 oz. Considerably less with 1.1 oz ripstop.

I would advise against a rolled edge - that rolled edge will be tucked under you and could become annoying. Kind of like lying all night on a small cord. Doesn't seem like much to start, but after an hour or so it feels like a boulder.

I fold the end together and sew it across the end and up the side. That is where the "V" notch I wrote about comes from. Sewing the foot box, eliminates any cords or Velcro or zipper or snaps to fool with and come loose. Just stick your feet into the box and that's it.

What's the rationale for using it as a bottom quilt as well? And how often do you really think that will be necessary?

My thinking is that I want to have a quilt that will fit my current and future needs. I have a JRB nest, but in the winter I can see me taking these quilts instead. I think the 3.5" will mainly see use as an underquilt, but their might be times I need it on the top and the 2.5 on bottom. The 2.5" will see use as a summer underquilt with my summer top quilt I made a few months back. In the colder months it will be used as a top quilt with either the 3.5" quilt underneath or my nest.

I guess what I am saying is that I want to make these pieces of gear the most versitle I can. I want to phase out all non DIY gear out of my pack. Making these pull double duty is a big step in that. My nest is a great piece of commerical gear, but it is commerical gear that I can make myself. Part of what I want out of hiking right now is to have as much gear as I can homemade. I like the feeling of independence it gives me.
    Last edited by Coffee; 04-12-2007 at 22:16.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Not to distract from HE's post about versatile, double-duty DIY gear, but I just finished my Ray-Way quilt last night and will be taking it to SEHHA today. It's not going to be as versatile or pull double-duty, but it'll sure keep me warm. Whoohooo!

Where's the durn dancing banana when you need him? (J/K!)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Not to distract from HE's post about versatile, double-duty DIY gear, but I just finished my Ray-Way quilt last night and will be taking it to SEHHA today. It's not going to be as versatile or pull double-duty, but it'll sure keep me warm. Whoohooo!

Where's the durn dancing banana when you need him? (J/K!)
    Cool project and a good piece of gear.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'll have to post some pictures, as soon as I can take some.

Images
    I was laying out my nest and experimenting with spare fabric last night. I think I am going to go without a tapper. I know I would save a couple oz's, but I like the feel of a larger footbox.

I think I am going to close it with omni tape and a drawstring after all. I am thinking that if I make a larger drawstring chamber on the footend, it will close the footend better. On past drawstring projects I have noticed that a wider chamber closes more. This will make the hole in the end a lot smaller. It will also add an extra inch or so to the length of the quilt. This will help compensate for the length that it takes away. Adding length will also move the down farther away for where the drawcord is. This should result in compressing the down less.

I am going to test this out first, but it should help a few of the issues out.

I am also thinking about adding an article on how to make this. It should help the next guy make one. I saw some pics in different places and a couple places with people posts semi good directions on top quilts. A step by step one with detailed pics could help the next guy.

Any thoughts?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post

I am also thinking about adding an article on how to make this. It should help the next guy make one. I saw some pics in different places and a couple places with people posts semi good directions on top quilts. A step by step one with detailed pics could help the next guy.

Any thoughts?
    That sounds great. One of the reasons I wanted to make the Ray-Way was because it had (fairly) good instructions that even I could follow.

Maybe you could link to where you ordered the materials from, etc.?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    That sounds great. One of the reasons I wanted to make the Ray-Way was because it had (fairly) good instructions that even I could follow.

Maybe you could link to where you ordered the materials from, etc.?
    Will do. Let me put some thought into it. I'll start a thread later tonight to discuss it before the fact. That way I can get ideas on how to put it together and what pics to take before I make it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234