Lost backpack, Jun 8th, Fisher Spring Run

Took a friend of my son's backpacking at Dolly Sods the weekend of June 7th. While going back for my hat, he stumbled off the trail and ended up in Fisher Spring Run near Red Creek. After doing so, he took off the backpack I loaned him and left it behind. He then wandered off with a random group of hikers and "disappeared" for 6-8 hrs. After calling in 911, he turned up safe and sound.

I am however still looking for my gear. REI 50L backpack, Mountain Hardware 2 man tent, Field & Stream sleeping bag , and REI sleeping pad. I went back last weekend June 21 but could not find it. If anyone found it or has heard about it, please have it turned in to the Canaan Valley Volunteer Fire & Rescue. They have my contact info. Or please let me know ... [email protected]

Thanks in advance,

Bob Rogers

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Wow, that stinks. I will be going at the end of the summer for trail maintenance, so will keep a lookout. Can you be more specific about the location he got off Red Creek? Did he hike straight up Fisher Spring Run? Also what color is the pack?
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    Wow, that stinks. I will be going at the end of the summer for trail maintenance, so will keep a lookout. Can you be more specific about the location he got off Red Creek? Did he hike straight up Fisher Spring Run? Also what color is the pack?
    Gray and green pack.
    Near:
    N38 59.870
    W79 21.307

I marked a Man Overboard symbol on my GPS but it seems to have disappeared. I marked this spot as a future camping spot. The actual spot of the backpack and Man Overboard would have been along the stream getting to those coordinates.

I think it's closer to
    N39 01.164
    W79 21.102

He finally admitted to taking it off and leaving it behind on a rock. Found a knife way off the trail where I believe the backpack may have been so chances are it's gone

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Yikes, that is quite a ways off the trail between those two points. I'm sure that was some tough going on that side of Red Creek! So the pack is missing somewhere between the two points but you think it's closer to Fisher Spring Run?

We will have 20-30 people on the trip, so I will spread the word!
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    Yikes, that is quite a ways off the trail between those two points. I'm sure that was some tough going on that side of Red Creek! So the pack is missing somewhere between the two points but you think it's closer to Fisher Spring Run?

We will have 20-30 people on the trip, so I will spread the word!
    He off the Fisher Spring Run trail almost immediately after it crosses the creek the first time (from Red Creek). Last time I was out, I tried climbing up Fisher Spring Run from where it dumps into Red Creek. I didn't have any water shoes so it was tough going. I made it about half way up and found a pool of water that he was describing (about 4 feet deep). There are actually several. I found a 6" Gerber knife along the left side of the creek (looking up the creek). I'm guessing whomever dropped it, grabbed my backpack. A $50 knife for $500 in gear is not a very good trade.

Anyway the bookmark for the creek crossing disappeared. The spot I posted as the second one has a very nice overlook of Red Creek, several rock fire rings and looks to be a great spot to camp if you happen to have time.

P.S. Thanks by the way.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Oh wow that must have been such an intense 6 - 8 hours. Good to hear he is okay. I wish the best to you in finding your gear!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    Oh wow that must have been such an intense 6 - 8 hours. Good to hear he is okay. I wish the best to you in finding your gear!
    It never turned up.

• + New Posts