Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want to make a general camping tarp

I am new to this so i don't know all the websites to buy materials yet.

Do you think it is possible to make about a 10'x12' - 14' tarp for under $40?

I just need a square one unless someone convinces me that the catenary cuts are worth the time. This will _not_ be covering a hammock, but just used at the camp site for a little extra rain protection.

Material suggestions are appreciated! Is there a newbie kit i can buy? Anyone have a recipe i can follow?

It needs to be light and help keep the rain off of 4 people sitting under it.

I have made quilts and know how to use a sewing machine.

I like this one, but is there any other design i should consider?
    http://diygearsupply.com/wp-content/...arp-lowres.jpg

Thanks!

Probably in the ballpark anyways..
    That tarp looks like a pretty good design, and fairly straight forward.

http://ripstopbytheroll.com is on these forums often, they have 1.1oz Silnylon for about $6 per yard, so given the 9 yards that tarp calls for, your at ~$60 for the material, considering shipping.
    May well be other cheaper sources, look through the Vendor forums. If you really want to get the cost lower, but are ok working for it, you can silicone coat your own nylon, lots of threads on here to follow on that topic.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chadg View Post
    Do you think it is possible to make about a 10'x12' - 14' tarp for under $40?

It needs to be light and help keep the rain off of 4 people sitting under it.
    There in lies the rub. You have two variables... Weight vs Cost. When one goes down the other goes up. How will this be used? If you are going to be using it for backpacking then you may want to tip the scales in the direction of weight. Unfortunately that means more money and I doubt you will meet your <$40 guideline. On the other hand, if you are car camping or something where you don't have to worry as much about weight then a Urethane coated fabric is going to be cheaper and you may be able to meet that cost. But it will weigh considerably more. The DIY silicone approach might be a compromise but depending on your base fabric and the accuracy of your technique you might end up with something heavier than a lightweight coated fabric.

All of this begs the question of whether you would be better off just making do with a tarp you already have for hammock use. No tarp is going to keep four people dry in a heavy rain for any great length of time. If you are just waiting out a storm, throw your hammock tarp up and hunker down. Dual duty is always an option.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks for the replies! My $40 target seems very hard to hit with my specifics.

Now is this what you mean by Urethane coated? This 70d DWR (durable water repellent i am guessing)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-70D-1-...item4ad60beddb

Thanks again! I am not trying to be cheap, i just want to learn the materials and limitations of price/weight etc.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    DWR is not the same as a PU coating. DWR is water _resistant_ and, depending on the treatment, will do the job in a short drizzle but I wouldn't want to wait out a major storm under one.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    My wife and I have pulled our hammock tarps out in heavy rain when we paddle. A quick set up with the ridgeline only and just letting it drape over us was enough to break the impact of those big soaking drops. I have also done this with more than the 2 of us. Most times rain is only for 10-20 minutes as a hard downpour. A little break from it using your hammock tarp can be just the ticket. RR is spot on with the compromise one way or the other.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Ah! Thanks Ramblin! This is what i need to learn.

Just like you said, it looks like you get more water proof and less weight when you start getting into the $5+ per yard fabrics like Silnylon.

Thanks again! I will keep doing my research!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 &amp; 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    It's been said before, and it bears repeating...Cheap, Light, Durable ,,, choose two.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Low cost option for fabric (the main expense of making a tarp):

Oware: 15 yards of 1.1 sil 2nds for $39 shipped. May come in 2 pieces, but nothing smaller than 3 yards.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Here is a link to a page that describes most of the available fabric families. A lot of good information. I tend to look at washability as an indicator of durability. YMMV. Also note coated and uncoated weights when given.

http://www.therainshed.com/fabrics/CtdRipTaff.htm

For a nominal 10x 12 tarp you need ~ 8 running yds of 60 inch fabric. If you want a full 12 ft add a foot of material for the hems. Forget the width and take ~ 9 1/2 ft finished size. It will save a lot of headaches on your part.

In general PU coated is cheapest and heavier than sil. There is also a debate about the relative water resistance with PU ahead. I would not touch a cat cut for what you want. OTOH you do want some heavier material to make reinforcing corner patches and some tie out points. Probably well under a yard. I'm thinking a foot off a 60 inch roll is more than enough. Shop where you want to but this gives you a clue about what is available.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast