Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Advice on setup for motorcycle camping

Hey hangers,
    Just joined...first post. Been looking around the forum a little, but there is just a ton of info to sift thru. Im actually somewhat confused so I figured Id just post.
    Ive been taking motorcycle trips for the last couple years. Using a tent is getting old. After riding 500 miles a day, it would be nice to get a good nights sleep.
    Plus, the tent and stakes take up too much room on the bike.

So...im mainly looking for a setup that is relatively compact...weight really isnt an issue. I also dont want to break the bank. Id like to stay in the $200-300 range for everything that I need.....for starters...haha.
    Was considering the ENO one link...but read on here that I can do better for less money.

Id prefer a double....and I definitely need a bug net.

I have a Thermarest ridgerest pad but Its kind of a hassle on the bike. Any other suggestions for bottom insulation that is more motorcycle friendly? Dont know how small UQ are when folded up....plus they are pretty pricey....any other options?
    I figured Id just use my Kelty down sleeping bag as top insulation....sound ok? I thought I read somewhere not to use sleeping bags....but that might have been just for bottom...not sure....please clarify.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Oh...almost forgot. For the time being, this will only be for my motorcycle trips. So relatively warmer weather....55F and above. I only camp in winter with larger groups and we share bigger tents. That could change depending on how much I like the hammock. But for now...its just 3 season....if that.

Thnx....looking forward to your input.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Welcome to the forum K, as you can tell from the handle I also am part of your fraternity.like you, I really love camping off the back of my various bikes and about a year ago discovered hammocks.

My first hammock was a HH exped which has served me well. I also have the Super Shelter for bottom insulation and use my old sleeping bags for top warmth. With the help of all the great folks on this forum, I have now made a few more hammocks that work as well or better and they have opened my eyes to many other possibilities for fun.

For the conditions you describe, almost any of the hammocks available will work well. I would recommend that you read a bit more an consider making one ( pretty easy to do ) if you have access to a sewing machine (thread injector).

I think you will find that hammock camping off a motorcycle will work really well. I spend about 3 weeks a year camping off mine and I couldn't be happier..
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    In my signature, Tableclothfactory hammock, Knotty Bugnet, Harbor Freight for a some hold down straps and a cheap tarp. You can get all of that save the turtledog stand in a small bag. Go to thrift stores and look for sleeping bags there, perhaps get them cheaper and turn one into an underquilt. I don't generally need one for 55 degrees but that goes person to person. A heavy blanket cut to shape and suspended with 1/8 inch shock cord could be enough to keep the chills off you in Spring and Fall and not be needed below 60 at all. One cut to shape will store very small indeed.
    I pull a Harbor Freight tag along trailer behind my motorcycle, so there's plenty of room for camping gear. But I generally have all I need in a backpack that can be strapped to the sissy bar.

Images
    Your height and weight would help. Oh an welcome to the forum.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This thread at 67 pages should keep you busy for a while

I use the same set-up on my bike as when hiking. Both worlds have in common the desire to reduce bulk, although weight is less of an issue on bikes, and hammocking is a pretty compact pastime. I noticed the stuff sack should be of sturdier material when in hard panniers though; the vibrations wore a hole in my exped one.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Howdy and welcome to the forum from another motorcycle hanger. I have a couple of suggestions for you.

First if you have not already go check out Derek at http://theultimatehang.com/ When you finish there do a You Tube Search for Shug Hammock and start watching. Derek will give you pretty pictures and Shug will make you laugh while teaching you what you need to know.

As a motorcycle hanger I am sure you know that weight won't be your primary concern but size will play a huge roll in what you purchase. For size verses warmth you can't beat down ...period.

Depending on time of year and your tolerances you might be able to get away with a poncho liner under quilt (PLUQ) which Derek will show you how to make the sewn and no sew version on his site. I have one and rarely use it because my down UQ packs so much smaller. I have a 25F JRB UQ that I can compress to about the size of a Nagalene water bottle.

For your actual hammock I can only echo what has been said. Do a DIY Tablecloth one with some Harbor Freight Straps. If you discover hammocks are exactly what you want/need then by all means visit one of the cottage vendors who advertise here. Any one of them will work with you to make you a great product.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    One word of caution. You will not necessarily save any space over a compact tent.

But you'll sleep a lot better.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok...been trying to read up, watch videos, etc. Still a lot of info...haha.
    Btw, Im not a very big guy...5'9" 160....so I don't need anything huge.

Im not really thinking that I will want to make my own....from tablecloth factory. I really rather get some sort of "system" and go from there.
    I do have old sleeping bags though that I don't mind altering into an UQ.

Im thinking Ill probly do one of 3 things. Plz let me know what you think.

1) Get something like a Grand Trunk Skeeter Pro or similar hammock/bugnet combo, and use a cheapy tarp, stakes, rope, and ratchet straps that I already have.
    2) Get an average system....was thinking the Jungle by Claytor.
    3) Jump right in and go for the Clark NX 250.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Start with # 1.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have traveled on motorcycle & camped for 48 year. 2 year ago I went to hammocks. Western travel has a tree challenge. I built me a portable stand for those trips. I have less than $50 in it. Presently it's 42" packed but I know how to get it to 22" when I have time. Its made from closet rods, aircraft cable & lag bolts for stakes. Check it out in my gallery.
    Last edited by oldbiker; 06-28-2014 at 13:32. Reason: stupid spell check.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast